This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Scanning in Brother DCP-J552DW

Hennie

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:52:45 am

After manual installation of the driver for my Brother printer/scanner/copier I am not able to scan. In the attachment you can see that just before the finalisation I am informed about the packages which will be installed. Is there one package possibly missing causing my problem? If not do you have a suggestion?
In this machine in dual boot I can use the printer as well as the scanner in W7without a problem!

Hennie

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:02:32 am

By the way, It is a Brother DCP-J552DW.
I've tried to send the attachment but it seems not work. Did you receive it?

Wolfman

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:35:24 pm

Hi Hennie,

did you download the deb package from here and did you try and install it with Gdebi?:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... 52dw_eu_as

Hennie

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:50:51 pm

Hi Wolfman,
This is the site I used and I choose respectively "Linux" and "Linux(deb)". Then "Driver install tool"and I kept the file in my Downloads map.
In the terminal I followed the following commands:
-- cd Downloads && gunzip -v ~/Downloads/linux-brprinter*
-- sudo bash ~/Downloads/linux-brprinter*

Some questions I answered:
Printer name: DCP-J552DW
Device URI: NO (I have a USB connected printer

At the end of the terminal procedure I am told that the following packages are going to be installed:
- dcpj552dwlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
- dcpj552dwcapswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
- brscan4-0.4.3-1.amd64.deb
- brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb

Could you give me your opinion about the above. If needed I could of course install Gdebi if that completes the installation for printing and scanning bettter.
The description for the driver on the Brother site tells me that the driver covers both printer and scanner.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:45:29 pm

Hi, see my tutorial for Canon scangear using the terminal - replace 'scangearmp2' with 'brscan4'.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:18:41 am

Hennie wrote:Hi Wolfman,
This is the site I used and I choose respectively "Linux" and "Linux(deb)". Then "Driver install tool"and I kept the file in my Downloads map.
In the terminal I followed the following commands:
-- cd Downloads && gunzip -v ~/Downloads/linux-brprinter*
-- sudo bash ~/Downloads/linux-brprinter*

Some questions I answered:
Printer name: DCP-J552DW
Device URI: NO (I have a USB connected printer

At the end of the terminal procedure I am told that the following packages are going to be installed:
- dcpj552dwlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
- dcpj552dwcapswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
- brscan4-0.4.3-1.amd64.deb
- brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb

Could you give me your opinion about the above. If needed I could of course install Gdebi if that completes the installation for printing and scanning bettter.
The description for the driver on the Brother site tells me that the driver covers both printer and scanner.

Hi,

install Gdebi if not already installed and try installing it again with that app, did you install "xsane"?:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi xsane

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:59:22 am

Hi Wolfman,

I had similar issues with my Canon all-in-one - I looked at Software Centre at what was installed and scangearmp2 was showing - this gave me the idea to run 'scangearmp2' from the terminal and the Canon interface kicked in - I then had to create a shortcut from scratch and then add it in the menu to Graphics:

download/file.php?id=4260&mode=view

Hennie

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:28:16 am

Hi Wolfman,
I installed both Gdebi and Xsane. Isn't it wise to de-install what I have got now? If yes, what is the best metod for that?

Wolfman

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:47:19 am

Hi Hennie,

try installing as I described earlier, if you still have a problem, let us know!. :D

@Swarf,

I have never found the need to install the package you pointed out in the past!. :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:55:20 pm

Hi Wolfman, Scangear is for Canon all-in-one's only - I thought it might work for the Brother using the brother Linux driver in the same way. Canon provides two packages - one for the printer which installs the driver with the rest that are already present, you just have to select it. But for scanning, they offer Linux Scanner driver of 'scangear' but its interface is primitive (you don't get a preview pane) and it will not work with Sane - and they were asking if Canon driver works with MG7550 - no it doesn't but I don't know how to let them know! ;)

Hennie

Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:51:42 pm

After downloading "linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz" I right clicked on it and choose to open it with Gdebi. A warning prevented me to finish that with the text: Could not open Linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz. The package can be damaged or you don't have sufficient rights to open the file. Check the rights of the file. I checked them and put any item on "read and write" and I agreed to export the file.
What else could be checked or changed?

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:42:18 pm

OK, extract the .gz file using Archive Manager then compress as .tar.gz. Next install 'alien' via a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

then after you have installed alien, navigate to where the .tar.gz file is in the terminal

Code:
cd Downloads

and then enter:

Code:
sudo alien linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.tar.gz

This will create a .deb file - then install the .deb file using gdebi. ;) :D

Wolfman

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:59:18 pm

Hi,

you downloaded the wrong file, you should downloaded a "deb" package, you downloaded a "Tar" package and Gdebi cannot handle that, either do what Swarf suggested or download the deb packages you require from here:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _as&os=128

Hennie

Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:12:36 pm

I have got the .gz file in the Archive manager. What should I exactly do to make it a .tar.gz file?

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:16:01 pm

Right-click and select 'Open with Archive manager' because that is what a .gz file is, a type of compressed file - extract the files to a folder then go inside that folder, select all the files and select 'compress' and name it EXACTLY as the .gz file is before the dot. Then use 'alien' as instructed above, or save yourself a lot of time and hassle and follow Wolfman's link for the correct .deb file you should have downloaded. ;) :D

Wolfman

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:26:02 am

Hennie wrote:I have got the .gz file in the Archive manager. What should I exactly do to make it a .tar.gz file?

DOWNLOAD THE DEB PACKAGE! :D

Hennie

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:23:45 am

Hallo Wolfman and Swarfendor437,
I downloaded the deb package already from the beginning!
I thought I managed to follow all your instructions but the final conclusion I make is: "I surrender". It is impossible to scan in Zorin and I will switch to W7 (dual boot) for a scan.
Thanks a lot for your support in this matter.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:56:14 pm

After you installed the .deb package (which is what I did) nothing will show up - did you try my suggestion? I am not sure which is the package that would launch a GNU/Linux interface for Brother but please try this:

Open a terminal and first enter:

Code:
brscan4
then press enter to see if anything happens or enter:

Code:
brscan-skey
and then press enter

Hennie

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:03:11 pm

I entered both commands without doing anything before. Reaction on first command was "command not found". On the second command nothing happened.

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:04:28 pm

OK, does anything show up in Software centre under installed packages? :D

Wolfman

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:14:57 pm

Hi,

I just had a similar problem with an friends Epson printer, open System Settings > Hardware > Printer and remove the printer from the list, restart your PC then add the printer again and print a test page and try scanning something and see what happens. (The above scenario worked for the Epson printer!).

Hennie

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:12:07 pm

Yes, under Graphics I found 2 programs:
- Simple Scan. It shows the correct model name of the Brother printer/scanner but my scan action does not do anything in this program.
- XSane imagescanning program. When I click on this program name in Graphics it starts searching a machine. Result: ERROR. Could not find
machine 'Brother4:bus4;dev1'

Hennie

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:38:25 pm

@Wolfman
I went through your advised steps but this did not work either.

Hennie

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:53:56 pm

@Swarfendor437
When starting Simple scan I am told that Scanning failed. It cannot connect with the scanner.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:30:25 pm

H Hennie,

is your printer/scanner connected via USB or are you using WiFi?. :D Connect it via USB if not already and switch off the WiFi (if any) on the printer!. :D

Hennie

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:56:20 am

Hi Wolfman,

I was usb-connected since the beginning and I checked Wifi. It is off.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:38:21 am

Hi, According to this:

scanning is done by pressing a button on the actual device - you can't use it via the Desktop. ;) :D

Hennie

Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:59:52 pm

Hi Swarfendor,
You are sure right. The Brother printer/scanner has a touch screen to make your choices. In W7 it works perfect after inserting a DVD.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:17:33 am

Hennie

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:25:51 am

Hi Wolfman,
Thanks a lot for your advices. I will use W7 in cases I need to scan.