This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Cannot open some things

SeverusCold

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:04:28 pm

Hello,
I'm new to Zorin OS Ultimate edition 10

And It's my 3rd day here and I can't open the additional drivers window anymore, nor the synaptic manager, nor can I install/unninstall anything in the software center. I took a print screen and I caught this window popping up and vanishing within a second. http://is.gd/L9NEY4
I also would like to know how to select which graphics card to be used when playing a game. (Minecraft)

How come I cannot run .run files even with permission to run as executable in the properties?

I hope someone can help me fixing this issues. Mainly the additional drivers one.

issues solved -> graphics card updated

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:44:08 pm

Hi and welcome! To install graphics drivers for your nvidia card, open a terminal (Menu | System Tools | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Please note after entering this command you need to provide your login password to elevate yourself to 'root' (= administrator).

With regards to getting minecraft working you should install this package with Software Center AFTER you have renamed the file to end as .deb instead of .tar.gz do this by just using 'rename file':

To resolve your other issues:

1. Go to Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater - click on the settings button once it has tried to update current software sources and go to the first tab - make sure that the software source at the bottom is set to 'Main Server' then click on OK.

2. Not sure about the .run package - that installer I posted should work without any issues - recently installed it to a machine with lubuntu I was recycling. :D

SeverusCold

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:50:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi and welcome! To install graphics drivers for your nvidia card, open a terminal (Menu | System Tools | Terminal) and enter:

Code:

Please note after entering this command you need to provide your login password to elevate yourself to 'root' (= administrator).

With regards to getting minecraft working you should install this package with Software Center AFTER you have renamed the file to end as .deb instead of .tar.gz do this by just using 'rename file':

minecraft-installer_0.1+r11~ubuntu14.04.1_i386.tar.gz

Thank you, I now updated my nvidia driver.

Bye the way, when I tried to install minecraft as you said, I click the install button, it goes grey for a moment, but then nothing happens, same thing happened to skype and other stuff. is my software center glitched?

Edit: Settings in software update doesnt open, i click it, it goes grey, but then comes back to normal and nothing happens. :(
print screen: http://is.gd/iiMpq0

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:10:21 pm

SeverusCold wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi and welcome! To install graphics drivers for your nvidia card, open a terminal (Menu | System Tools | Terminal) and enter:

Code:

minecraft-installer_0.1+r11~ubuntu14.04.1_i386.tar.gz

Thank you, I now updated my nvidia driver.

Bye the way, when I tried to install minecraft as you said, I click the install button, it goes grey for a moment, but then nothing happens, same thing happened to skype and other stuff. is my software center glitched?

Edit: Settings in software update doesnt open, i click it, it goes grey, but then comes back to normal and nothing happens. :(
print screen: http://is.gd/iiMpq0

Did you update your system after install? Please follow Wolfman's excellent post-install guide - this hopefully will sort you out:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

SeverusCold

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:37:46 pm

I did all the updating processes from that guide, still the same.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:11:47 am

Did you follow this advice when creating your boot media?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

SeverusCold

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:07:52 am

Wolfman wrote:Did you follow this advice when creating your boot media?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Well, I did now, and reinstalled the system. It is now working properly. Everything works now as it is supposed to.
Thank you.

You should definitely add to the zorin-os.com website the thing about burning it with the slowest speed, so people can avoid issues like mine.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:09:59 am

Perhaps you may wish to PM AZorin and zorink regarding this - we have no say over the official website - we are all volunteers on here my friend, apart from the Admins who developed the OS. ;) :D