This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 9 crash

cjgilr

Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:34:25 am

Hello

I have been having problems with my pc using the Zorin OS 9 64-bit installed. After spending some time, the computer freezes so that the only thing to do is to turn off the computer or press the reset button (Windows-style).

I reviewed various logs (syslog, auth.log, dpkg.log, Xorg.0.log) and can not find a clue that allows me to visualize what may be the error.

The computer is used for web development and overall Internet browsing. Something characteristic is presented, more frequently, when using the web browser (chromiun / firefox). Sometimes it happens to be working in other applications.

My computer has the following configuration:

Memory: 4 Gb
Processor: Intel Core i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz x 4
Graphics: Intel Desktop ivybridge
OS Type: 64-bit
See you 3.13.0-62-generic
Disk: 160 Gb
Dell Monitor 22 in.

Attached you can find a picture of the crash and the /var/log directory. Last crash 08/20/2015 17:57

I wonder how you can help solve this annoying situation.

Thanks in advance,
Carlos Gil

Wolfman

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:15:55 am

Hi Carlos,

run DPKG per the update guide and see if that fixes things:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A NETWORK CABLE CONNECTION IS REQUIRED FOR THE ABOVE TO WORK!.

Did you follow this advice when creating your boot media?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:56:22 am

Hi, is it possible to try and put a separate graphics card in your machine such as nVidia? It has been noted that there are specific issues with Intel Graphics and support which had been good until recently. :D

cjgilr

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:22:07 pm

I will do every step in the guide and let you know. By the way, the problem also occurs when using the Ethernet connection of the motherboard instead of the wireless. Also I checked running Mint Live-cd. I the case of the graphics card I have to buy one (any recommendation?).

Thanks in advance for your help...
Carlos Gil

Wolfman

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:21:07 am

Hi Carlos,

you can try booting into recovery mode, click on "Network" (network cable required) and then on "root", then type the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update --fix-missing

Press "Enter" once typed and restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on "Resume!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:08:31 am

Hi from personal experience go for an nVidia graphics card but check what cards your motherboard supports.

cjgilr

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:31:34 am

The friday night I just did the following:
1. Software update and dist-upgrade test using synaptic and apt-get. Computer OS up to Date.
2. The only problem found was with opera key 2012 due to be a knew key and I disabled it. I recreated the lists directory (/var/lib/apt/lists)
3. I try to mantain the Zorin upgraded, every time it asks for update I install it =
4. The software report no graphic driver and do not let me include a graphic driver (ubuntu 14 process it as native)
5. The Intel Xeon S3-1200 v2/3rd Gen core graphics is certified by ubuntu

After following all the guidanc's and reviews some other articles. I tried to generate the problem but it did not appear. I will try tomorrow again.

Also, I will try Wolfman suggestion, I will let you know...

By the way, I notice the launch of Zorin OS 10, it can be installed without doing a fresh installation again (5 to 6, 6 to 7, 7 to 8, 8 to 9)?

Thanks in advanc for your help...

Regards,
Carlos Gil

Wolfman

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:11:59 am

Hi Carlos,

you can update Zorin (or any Ubuntu based system) using the following method:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Please bear in mind that Zorin 10 is only supported until Jan 2016. :D

cjgilr

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:42:18 pm

Good day..

After making the fix-missing command in recovery mode and have not shown any kind of warnings or errors. I restarted the computer and run chrome for a test. It took at least 2 minutes of watching a video to the computer to crash.

I reset the computer and the video was started again, as I did before in chrome, and 9 more videos, almost simultaneous, were opened using Chrome and Firefox, the crash was not presented.

It seems to me that the problems come from a process that crash (at-spi2-registryd or indicator bluetooth - respawing), due to invalid memory access. I do not have bluetooth enabeled...

Regards,
Carlos Gil

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:01:33 pm

I think a lot of distros of GNU/Linux tend to have Bluetooth enabled to cater for the users of Notebooks (laptops = misnomer!) - go to the menu and search for 'startup applications' and remove Bluetooth - that will be at least one thing out of the way! ;) :D

Wolfman

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:05:18 pm

Hi,

if you are using Chromium browser, install the following package via a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) for better flash playback:

Code:
sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree

cjgilr

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:17:50 pm

Hi..
I made last recommendations and the results are as follows:
1. I was unable to stop the process indicator bluetooth. Apparently the boot from the kernel. The daemon is always active bluetoothd. Despite changes in /etc/init.d/bluetooth, /etc/init/bluetooth or /etc/xdg/indicator-bluetooth.
2. No coredump files are generated in /var/crash. Is there any way to generate a trace? You can analyse a coredump file?
3. The pepperflashplugin-nonfree files was installed.

When working yesterday at least 5 crash were generated. I was working with Firefox or Chrome to access the web for videos, find information, upload information in an application, etc.

Today, I will test Zorin 10 from a live cd to see what happens. and I will post my finds...

Wolfman

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:19:47 pm

Hi,

paste this command in a terminal then open "Startup Applications" which will now show all startup entries:

Code:
sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop

Check the list and see what (if any) bluetooth apps are starting and take the ticks out and restart!.

Startup Applications Preferences_024.jpg

cjgilr

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:36:15 pm

Hi...

I run the command and show in the start up applications preferences and do not show the indicators as you showed in your picture, its show a service called indicator, that will start all the indicators that the computer will startup. I think that I should remove the file indicator-bluetooth from /etc/xdg/ to prevent it to start the process. The best solution is to modify the indicator script to not start any software that the hardware is not present.

By the other hand, I tested with Zorin 10 and others Linux distribution and the problem come up. The last test I will do is run a windows live cd.

From my point of view, I think that the problems resides in the flash programs (firefox or chrome), due to I was just surfing the web without any flash component and I was able to stay alive for more than 4 hours. Other thing I have to consider is the way to include a intel graphics driver into the linux.

Regards,
Carlos Gil

Wolfman

Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:34:16 pm

Hi,

you never told us if you followed this advice:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

cjgilr

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:22:31 pm

Hi...

Yes, I read it. I never used unetbootin. Every time I download a iso file, I use to make a checksum to compare with the checksum of the orginal file. Check every CD/DVD for errors before and after the burning process.

At this time I am checking the OS for problems with missing and corrupted files

Regars,
Carlos Gil

cjgilr

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:45:52 am

Hi...

Today I used the command debsums. Attached is a file with the result of the command. I take it from http://askubuntu.com/questions/57682/fi ... g-anything

Also, today the OS crashed again after one of the commands ended. I was working with chrome (text websuf, hotmail), having open gedit, the terminal, the file manager working with some images and gimp.

After rebooting I started the same applicactions except this time I used firefox instead of chrome. Thinking the problem come more often when I use chrome.

Let me know your comments.

Regards,
Carlos Gil

Wolfman

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:55:45 am

cjgilr wrote:Hi...

Yes, I read it. I never used unetbootin. Every time I download a iso file, I use to make a checksum to compare with the checksum of the orginal file. Check every CD/DVD for errors before and after the burning process.

At this time I am checking the OS for problems with missing and corrupted files

Regars,
Carlos Gil

Hi carlos,

that hint wasn't so much about using Unetbootin as about the DVD burn speed, you set it to slowest burn speed didn't you?. :D

cjgilr

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:00:13 pm

Hi...
Yes, I always burn at slowest speed...

Wolfman

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:19:29 am

cjgilr wrote:Hi...

I run the command and show in the start up applications preferences and do not show the indicators as you showed in your picture, its show a service called indicator, that will start all the indicators that the computer will startup. I think that I should remove the file indicator-bluetooth from /etc/xdg/ to prevent it to start the process. The best solution is to modify the indicator script to not start any software that the hardware is not present.

By the other hand, I tested with Zorin 10 and others Linux distribution and the problem come up. The last test I will do is run a windows live cd.

From my point of view, I think that the problems resides in the flash programs (firefox or chrome), due to I was just surfing the web without any flash component and I was able to stay alive for more than 4 hours. Other thing I have to consider is the way to include a intel graphics driver into the linux.

Regards,
Carlos Gil

Hi Carlos,

did you check the startup applications list from top to bottom as there might be more than one entry for bluetooth!. :D

cjgilr

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:59:26 pm

Hi...

As I told you few post back, there is not a bluetooth indicator program, the OS start it as a part of a services. In the attached file you wiil find the screen shoots of the startup application.
There are detailed in the /etc/xdg directory, as a text files, and in the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu directory as a executables linked files...
By the other hand, I am running Zorin 9 in a desktop, with no bluetooth adapter. The process stop and no more details...

I think the problem does not reside in this area. Any other idea?

Regards,
Carlos Gil

Wolfman

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:13:17 am

Hi Carlos,

according to your pics, there is no bluetooth activity so try running the following terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and see if it helps:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart if anything updates!.

Your "Download from" in software settings is set to "Main server" isn't it?.

cjgilr

Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:24:27 pm

Hi...

I rerun the command you suggested, the results are in a log file included in the compress file. Also, I included pictures of the software & update application.

Thanks for your help...

Regards,
Carlos Gil

Wolfman

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:20:34 pm

Hi Carlos,

seems like it updated okay, did you restart and do you still have any problems?. :D

cjgilr

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:31:05 am

Hi...

Everyday the OS ask for updates, as I mentioned, I do every update the OS receive.

The problems continues as usual on both web browsers, in chrome it appear early than firefox...

cjgilr

Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:25:40 pm

Hi...

After reviewing all the 26 post, I get it in the post from August 25 at 927am, where I specified that the problem occurs more often when I watch videos from youtube or any other website using browsers. Also, as I indicated, the crash, occurs more frequently using chrome. To solve, the chrome problem, I followed the recommendation to update the pepperflashplugin-nonfree, wich I did, so that chrome could better visualize flash objects, but the problem continues.

Moreover, I do not understand the reason for reducing the frequency of the OS updates and how it will reduce the crash from flash objects?.

I will search for how to install the intel graphic driver to see if it solve the problem. If not I will consider to add a graphic card to see if it helps.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Carlos Gil

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:35:22 pm

Intel graphic support was good at one point but has been flakey of late - you would be better getting a decent graphics card, such as NVidia. ;) :D

cjgilr

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:26:25 pm

Hi.

After another crash I could not login into zorin trough the zorin windows manager, after giving the user and password it return to login screen, I tried changing permissions to files and directories and nothing works, I look a work around that include install other windows manager like kdm (select lightdm) that help me login in.

My question is how I can reconfigure the zorin windows manager to let me login?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:30:50 pm

Follow Wolfman's advice about running 'dpkg' - but you must be connected to the internet by cable to do this successfully - choose the second option in GRUB and boot into 'safe graphics'/recovery mode - select 'dpkg' from the menu the shut down the machine, then fire up the machine once more - do NOT click on 'continue' after 'dpkg' has completed.