This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem booting

dulaneyj65

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:00:56 am

Hi guys,

I am an absolute newbie to Zorin. I downloaded Zorin lite yesterday to run on the old Windows XP pc I have.

I managed to make a live disk, successfully boot from it, then install Zorin on the pc. I successfully booted from the Zorin partition once, then I restarted the pc, downloaded some files to transfer from the XP side of the partition and tried to reboot Zorin again. This time, it is not working. I get the menu that asks if I want to boot Zorin, run a memory test, advanced config, etc.

When I select I want to boot Zorin, a terminal screen comes up like it will work, but then after about 10 seconds my computer monitor says it is entering power saving mode and the pc is unresponsive. I need to manually shut it off in order to restart the pc.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Do you have any advice for it?

thanks,

jd

Wolfman

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:07:31 am

Hi,

did you follow this advice when creating your boot media?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Can you enter recovery mode?, if you can; run DPKG per the update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A NETWORK CABLE IS REQUIRED FOR THE ABOVE TO WORK!.

dulaneyj65

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:50:04 am

I used Yumi to make a live usb drive, so I don't think the first will apply to me.

I'm currently running MemTest 86x, when that's done I'll try your advice.

Thanks

Wolfman

Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:36:31 am

dulaneyj65 wrote:I used Yumi to make a live usb drive, so I don't think the first will apply to me.

I'm currently running MemTest 86x, when that's done I'll try your advice.

Thanks

Hi,

did you format the USB stick prior to using Yumi?. Do not rely on any app to do it for you, always format the stick yourself before you use any image creator software!.