This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Remote Desktop Viewing

stargeezer928

Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:43:13 pm

My father's older machine in Tennessee is running OS 5 Lite and my laptop is running OS 5 Core. He has computer skills enough to run his internet browser and copy files around from a CD to his desktop. I am new to GNU/Linux in general and have no experience with remote computer operations. How difficult will it be for me to get Remote Desktop Viewing between our computers so I can take over when he gets over his head? Any technical assistance is handled over the phone at this point. Any advice

maxmm5

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:06:29 am

Hi stargeezer928, I don't have idea about lite, for core it is easy to set up just go to Control Panel, then Remote Desktop on Internet and Network section. For more info click the "Help" button below the Remote Desktop Preferences window.

stargeezer928

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:45:53 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions! Should be educational.
Stargeezer928

Obsidian1723

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:01:30 pm

Just install TeamViewer and then configure it as a host so you can connect when needed.

susan7

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:15:27 am

right, software such as teamviewer, GoToPC and GoSupportNow should work out for you.

DanYHKim

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29:51 pm

I also suggest Teamviewer. One advantage is that your father's session will still be running when you take control, so he can see what you are doing. At least, in Windows, a remote desktop session locks the computer to the local user, so they can't see you working. With Teamviewer, the remote session is more like a VNC session, where both users (local and remote) can potentially control mouse and keyboard and both can view the screen activity.