This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Menu Buggs

frank392

Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:13:25 pm

Hi the Menu has many bags, one of them is that many items do Not appear in the listing the worst are windows 7 and unity style

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:19:24 pm

Hi, which version of Zorin are you using, 9 or 10?

frank392

Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:15:47 pm

Zorin 10

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:50:42 pm

OK, I think Zorin are aiming to keep Zorin as stable as possible. There were some issues with 9 when it first came out - the answer, if not already installed, is to use 'alacarte':

1. Open a Terminal windows (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install alacarte

You will be asked for your login password to elevate you to 'root' (= system administrator) - you will not see any asterisks or any other indication when you enter your password so be careful - you get 3 attempts before having to start all over again (which is easy as pressing the up arrow (cursor keys) repeats the last command. ;)

2. Whilst still in the terminal, enter:

Code:
alacarte

this should launch your menu editor - expand each topic heading by selecting in the left pane - any menu items pertaining to software you have installed and not showing up should now be seen in one of the panes - place a check mark in the appropriate box next to the menu item, Save the changes and see if it is now present - you may need to log out and back in again for changes to take effect. :D

frank392

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:09:09 pm

Thank you but that is NOT fixing the problem. I did uninstall Compiz is way to buggy

frank392

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:16:47 pm

please take a look at this video that I just Made describing the problem

https://youtu.be/6Ufi55k4AZk

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:18:04 pm

Hi, Okay, so I see you have added quite a number of games that don't come with Zorin 10 and depending on where you got them from and had the correct PPA:s installed it shouldn't be a problem - now Compiz is an integral part of Zorin and Ubuntu - it should be left in place but disable everything. Can you advise on the specifications of your machine? I have temporarily uninstalled Zorin 10 while I try to recover my Windows 7 data that Windows 10 insider has managed to prevent me getting access to! ;)

frank392

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:41:24 pm

Hi, I have install Them from the repositories, Using Synaptic, but as you can see for some reason in the windows 7 style the are not showing at all and even the back button is gone. MY computer is: Msi Mother board 970A-G46, Nvidia GTX 650 TI , 16 GB of ram and 1000 Megas HD.
Compiz Sucks big time and it also make the system slower, I had so many probles with compiz and skype or other applications. :) windows 10 is a security nightmare that is why I did not even try to install it.
I hope you can recover all your data

Wolfman

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:23:21 am

Hi,

check your update setting against the update guide and make sure you have "Download from" set to "Main server":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Did you follow this advice when creating your boot media?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771