This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Renaming Drives

mdiemer

Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:13:12 pm

I would like to rename my hard disks, so that I can more easily see which is which. but when I right-click on them, the option "rename" is greyed out. So how can I do this?

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:07:26 pm

What happens when you right-click a drive - is 'Mount' available? If the drives were created in Windows, you may have to create 'shares' in order to be able to access them. Can you give some more detail as to how many drives and what each contains? :D

mdiemer

Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:36:39 am

When I right click, "unmount" is available. Yes, the drives were all first "baptized" in Windows. There are three physical drives:
Drive 1: Vista
Drive 2: Windows 7
Drive 3: Windows 7 and Zorin 9.
So, there are 4 actual drives as Drive 3 is partitioned in two roughly equal parts. All drives are 500GB HDD.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:02:45 pm

kotowanandesu.blogspot.co.ke/2010/04/renaming-ntfs-filesystem-on-external.html?m=1 should sort you out. ;-)

Wolfman

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:03:49 pm

Hi,

you may be able to do this as "root", enter the following command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and this will make you root, try renaming the drives and see what happens:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

Enter your PW when asked and you will be root as long as you aren't working in Nautilus for more than a few minutes as it will time out and you will lose your root privileges!. :D

mdiemer

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:32:10 pm

I've decided not to worry about it. All I have to do is check Properties, and I can tell from the serial # which drive it is. Thanks for the replies just the same! (Solved)