This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Error with updating "Failed to fetch".

PurpleShyGuy

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:23:16 pm

I'm back :P

I've run into a bit of an issue (albeit minor from what I can tell) with running the update command. It seems I have a bad repository.. for lack of better words. Apparently my system is not downloading files from deb.opera.com. Now I know of the Opera browser, but I'm relatively new to Linux, so I'd rather not make assumptions and accidentally remove a PPA I need; I've already reinstalled to fix another issue.

I provided a screenshot of my desktop, as well as a website where I found some information about the error. If it turns out that it is in fact the web browser... I don't intend to use it as I prefer Chromium, not sure how it ended up on my system. So basically, I have two questions:

1. To resolve this issue, should I simply remove the deb.opera.com ppa?

2. If the answer to number 1 is "no", would anyone mind providing me with some information about this?

System Information

Screenshot of the error

If you need additional information, I will be more than happy to supply it! Thanks in advance.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:37:22 pm

Hi, Basically the PPA is probably not recognised because Opera is closed source - for me personally I have found it to be the best browser in Zorin as all the other browsers have proven inadequate when posting screenshots etc to the Zorin forum. The reason why you will be having issues is that 12.16 is an old version of Opera - it is the last version that I personally prefer because you cannot get rid of the search engines it comes with or make other search engines it does not come with as the default one. (I use DuckDuckGo in Opera 12.16). If you have uninstalled Opera from your system using the Internet Browser Chooser Tool that comes with Zorin and you won't intend using it again, then just remove any reference of the Opera PPA in Software Updater | Settings button | Tabs where Opera appears in the lists of sources/PPA's/ ;) :D

PurpleShyGuy

Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:57:20 pm

sweet, thanks!

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna jack my system up, problem solved :D