This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Cairo-dock in Zorin OS 9

yaba-daba-doh

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47:56 am

I want to install and use Cairo-dock rather than the AWN dock. My question is how to disable AWN and use Cairo-dock as the default dock?

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:46:13 pm

Hi, rather than mess with the system you should be logging into the Cairo Dock DE - so when you get to the login screen, click on the 'z' on the top right corner of the login interface and choose Cairo Dock from the list that appears. If AWN is showing up in this DE then right-click the AWN Panel, select preferences and on the first tab, uncheck 'Launch at login' and then select 'quit'.

I don't have access to a working Zorin DE at present as I have finally gotten round to backing up my GNU/Linux stuff before ditching Windows 10 insider preview Fast Ring!

Wolfman

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:36:24 am

Hi,

just to add to what Swarf suggested, open a terminal and paste the following command (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop

Now open "Startup Applications" and make sure that AWN (Avant) isn't ticked!. :D

You should install Cairo Dock before doing the above!. :D

yaba-daba-doh

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:12:07 am

I've been away from my computer so sorry for not responding sooner. I will give this a try (your response(s)) and see what happens. I am not fond of AWN's look and feel, and functionality. I may be fine for some. I am using Cairo-dock on Ubuntu Unity 14.04 LTS and was using it with Mint 17.1 before I moved to Zorin OS 9.

yaba-daba-doh

Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:48:31 am

To anyone concerned ..... This is to let you know that I was able to download/install Cairo-dock and successfully run the dock what no problems (so far). I did open "startup applications" to have Cairo-dock start when the computer is started. So far, no problems/conflicts have I noticed particularly with the installed AWN. So, at this time, I consider this issued "resolved".