This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Panel Taskbar - Multiple Options possible?

WinRiddance2

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:42:02 am

Hi everyone.

I've been using Linux full time since 2009 after first using Windoze for the 18 years prior to that. I'm a huge fan of Gnome2 which is why I later switched to the XFCE desktop since I really didn't care for Gnome3, Unity, or Cinnamon. Zorin has me blown away! I can't believe how friggen' fast everything is, even Firefox is faster than on my Mint 17.2 XFCE setup ... about as fast as Maxthon Cloud. Sorry, getting off topic here ...

Anyway, my question is this. Is it possible to have more than one Zorin panel installed? I prefer to keep notifications and application symbols one one panel, with the "Zorin button" plus any additional buttons for open apps that I'm working with on the second panel. When I work with Gimp for example, sometimes I'll have as many as 35 - 40 images open all at once. For that it's nice to have as much panel real estate as possible. So a second panel would be perfect for me, but I haven't been able to find anything in any of the preferences so far ...
Thanks. (more posts with questions coming) ;)

Wolfman

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:52:19 am

Hi and welcome,

you have one choice really, install "Docky" and add what you want/need to that!.

Install via a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install docky

In Zorin 9, you can add (I think?) another panel but there is no option for that in Z10!. :D

WinRiddance2

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:17:02 am

Thanks for the quick response. Zorin feels so proprietary for it's look and feel that I was trying to figure out how to make additional adjustments with the existing apps, without installing anything else. I could probably install my XFCE panels too since I did that for awhile when I was using the Mate Desktop back in 2012. Anything that I install would be different from the current Zorin panel though. That's what I was trying to preserve ... the existing Zorin panel look with a second panel. I'm not a big fan of docky or cairo dock either. The Zorin look is cool enough ... :D

Wolfman

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:21:45 pm

Hi,

I just checked Z9 and you cannot do another panel with that either, it can be done with Zorin Lite though!. :D

WinRiddance2

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:16:42 pm

Thanks again. I'll be trying out the Lite version for our old HP laptop from 2009. It has 4 GB Ram, 320 GB Disk, and 64 bit AMD 3 Ghz. so I'm pretty sure that it'll fly with Zorin. I had to install Caja as my file manager on this Zorin 10 Core machine because I couldn't find any way at all to enable single click ... but that's another post at some later time ...

Wolfman

Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:02:07 pm

Hi,

Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Nautilus > Preferences > Click-Policy:

dconf Editor_001.jpg

Install Dconf Editor if not installed already via a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:20:08 pm

Hi, your best solution would be to install Cairo-Dock DE and after install when you get to login screen, click on the 'z' logo to the right and the drop-down list appears to select Cairo-Dock - NOT the no effects one! ;) :D

https://vimeo.com/135585793

WinRiddance2

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:14:06 am

Thanks a million.
Will get working on both solutions later today or tomorrow.
Not certain I understand the part about clicking the "z" logo to the right?
When I reboot into Zorin I get a blue screen with 3 white symbols at the bottom, a left/back arrow, a console, and I forgot what the third symbol is ... before the screen automatically changes into my default environment with my theme. I don't use the password function for logging in because nobody will ever use my setup and there are no kids in the house (anymore). ;)

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:52:27 am

Well my bad! I assumed you had login - might be problematical when you need to add anything and elevating to root requires a password! ;) :D