This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Default new user settings Zorin core 9

bpb21

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:58:35 pm

This question regards setting the default settings for new users created. I'm using a computer running Zorin core 9 and I want to be able to create users, from the CLI, and have the same default settings applied to all of them.
Ex: I have a couple of documents that should appear on each new user's desktop; I need the same desktop wallpaper already set for them; same default printer; etc.

This is a standalone network; there is no central server this has to authenticate against.

I found this guide and it suggests using /etc/skel

http://askubuntu.com/questions/186487/h ... -current-u

However, that link is for Ubuntu 12.04 and I believe Zorin 9 is using 14.04? Is this still valid? Is there a better way, that will survive upgrades?

I need to create these users from the command line because I will have SSH access to the computer's terminal but that's about it. I won't always have direct access to the computer in question.

Thanks for any help! My searches keep resulting in instructions for Ubuntu/Debian versions prior to 12.04 (and none to speak of for 14.04) so I want to make sure what I'm doing is valid.

bpb21

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:53:40 pm

I've gotten everything I need except for the wallpaper! I really need the wallpaper set because it has the terms of use on it. (That was part of my boss' requirements; I could think of a couple better ideas, but whatever!)

bpb21

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:12:19 pm

I've also tried editing the value in /var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml but to no effect.
Anyone have any ideas?

While I'm asking, is there any way to have a user log out after, say, 15 minutes of inactivity?

I'm searching for these answers on my own (I know that's encouraged) but I keep coming up with answers for outdated versions or answers to questions that don't really apply.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:26:55 pm

Forgive me if this is not what you are after but take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7474

bpb21

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:37:24 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Forgive me if this is not what you are after but take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7474

Oh - I saw that earlier on the forums. It's an excellent tutorial! I wasn't sure if it applied, and honestly I kind of skimmed over it due to that, because I don't have a central backend server supplying the user accounts. Everything on mine is local to that particular computer.

But let me take a closer look; the answer might be in there and I might have just not read closely enough. Thanks for the link!

bpb21

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:47:07 pm

Actually, this would solve my problem:
Does anyone know the name of the default wallpaper in Zorin 9? If I just rename the wallpaper I want to replace the default wallpaper, that would take care of it without changing much of anything. Or, at least, for my relatively low tech purposes.

bpb21

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:16:12 pm

Aha! Replace /usr/share/backgrounds/Zorin.png with a file of the same name but containing the background I want. Whew.

Wolfman

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:20:50 am

Hi,

you should also install the package "gnome-system-tools" which will add an icon in the main menu under "Users and Groups", armed with this tool you can setup accounts and how the guest accounts react with the OS, you can select how much access the guest has with regards to network or printing and other areas of the PC!!.

See also:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups