This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Unable to mount USB stick

kernoclive

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:07:05 pm

I have been unable to mount USB sticks that have been quick formated on a Windows computer on a PC running Zorin 9.

I get the following error message:-

Unable to mount USB2

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/mcm/USB2: Command-line `mount -t "exfat" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,namecase=0,errors=remount-ro,umask=0077" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/mcm/USB2"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'

I've run chkdsk and found no errors, and the problem is with a number of USB sticks. They work fine on a Windows computer but Zorin 9 canl no longer mount them.

I've tried Testdisk without success.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to fix this problem I'll be very pleased to hear from you.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:18:24 pm

Try formatting to FAT32 NOT using the quick method!

kernoclive

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39:23 pm

Thank you Swarfendor437 for your suggestion. Windows 7 doesn't give an option to format to FAT32 only exFAT (Defaut) and NTFS. A full format to ExFAT didn't solve the problem. Formating to FAT32 from Zorin9 wasn't easy, but I eventually succeeded using GParted, and that cleared the problem.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:55:21 pm

HI, Forgot about that issue! :oops: Glad you are sorted now - will mark as [SOLVED]. :D

IronTom

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:39:48 am

Problem: 60GB flash disk would not mount. Error message "filesystem exfat not supported".
Updated: Dec 31,2017

To install Ubuntu ExFat support, using the Terminal program:
sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

Re-formatting the disk is NOT required.