This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Computer has narcolepsy

mdiemer

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:58:33 am

I have a fairly new Zorin Ultimate install. Updates have been failing. I'm wondering if it's because Zorin is shutting everything down after just a few minutes, interrupting the update process. I do not have it set to sleep. Not sure ewhy it's doing this.

mdiemer

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:38:51 pm

Thank you Wolfie, I would try this but unfortunately my next boot into Zorin Ultimate failed. Never got past a black screen with instruction to type "help", which didn't do anything (probably because I don't know hot to handle Linux well enough yet.

This is why I wanted a DVD. I think if you have a DVD, at least you know the install is probably good, as you would have avoided glitches from the download and burning.

I may just clone my original Zorin drive, which I'm on now. It works pretty well. I don't mind sacrificing the ten dollars, consider it a contribution. but again, the option of a reliable DVD installation disc would be nice. I would have paid even more for it.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:50:41 pm

Hi there, it would appear (I learned this from another forum member) the DVD is no longer provided, just downloads. Provided you are careful you should be OK. K3b is the best GNU/Linux burner but I have also had success with the current release of Brasero but this is the way you need to ensure everything is OK before burning - I am assuming a download to a Zorin computer that you have based on your posting on System Image.

1. After the .iso has downloaded, open a Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and navigate to the downloaded *.iso e.g.,

Code:
cd Downloads

then

Code:
md5sum [then name of the Zorin.iso exactly as it is named without these square brackets]

It should return the md5 sum as given here:

http://zorinos.com/download9.html

2. Assuming the md5sum matches, launch Brasero and select, 'Burn image' button and browse for the Zorin .iso - when the interface is showing, choose the slowest speed your DVD burner will burn at (modern ones don't go below 4x) and before you burn use one of these or it's equivalent:

https://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=a ... ner+(59146)

:D

mdiemer

Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:47:56 am

Thanks, that's great information!

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:51:07 am

Forgot to add - never use any 'Download Accelerators' as these are known to corrupt .iso's during download and if possible only use Firefox.

The other bit I should have stressed is NEVER after inserting a disc for burning select 'Open with Brasero' - close any such notification by clicking on Cancel button and ALWAYS launch Brasero first before starting a burn project - if you use the context menu you will end up with a drinks mat (coaster)! ;-)

mdiemer

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:12:42 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

where did you get the DVD from?. Did you get it from the Zorin brothers or from somewhere else on the web?.

I made it myself, that's probably where the problem lies.

mdiemer

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:14:19 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Forgot to add - never use any 'Download Accelerators' as these are known to corrupt .iso's during download and if possible only use Firefox.

The other bit I should have stressed is NEVER after inserting a disc for burning select 'Open with Brasero' - close any such notification by clicking on Cancel button and ALWAYS launch Brasero first before starting a burn project - if you use the context menu you will end up with a drinks mat (coaster)! ;-)

I did use Firefox, and burned at 2x I believe. I don't think I use accelerators.

mdiemer

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:24:39 pm

You can mark this as solved too, it was answered on my other thread.