This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My Zorin7 is broken!

adrian5750

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:43:07 pm

Hi
A while back I installed Zorin7, to see if I could migrate away from Microsoft.
The sticking-point was getting a particular (Windows) web design package to run under Zorin - I failed at the time...

Coming back to my dual-boot Samsung r519 laptop to give it another try, I now have the problem that, when it boots into Zorin, the 'Z' logo at the bottom left of the screen throws up an error message 'indexerror in Zorin Menu - list index out of range', and shows an unhappy face rather than the 'Z' logo.

What should I do to recover from this?
Simple instructions please - I'm not at all familiar with linux / zorin.

Thanks in advance
Adrian

mdiemer

Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:29:50 am

Just out of curiosity, why are you using Zorin 7? Why not Zorin 9?

adrian5750

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:06:06 am

mdiemer wrote:Just out of curiosity, why are you using Zorin 7? Why not Zorin 9?

Because that was the current version at the time I installed it....
I'd be quite happy to update it and give the later version a try.
Thanks
Adrian

adrian5750

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:11:59 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

Z7 is no longer supported and have you run updates per the guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

No - I've not run updates since installing Z7.
I'll follow those instructions and report back.
Many thanks
Adrian

adrian5750

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:26:40 am

Thanks.
To be honest - there's nothing important on the Zorin installation.
I am more worried about messing up the WinXP install that's dual-booting on the hard drive
- as that's actually necessary for my business at the moment.

The Zorin OS is more 'speculative'... until I can prove to myself that I can get the windows web design package running under Zorin..

No time to play today - but I'll take a look at your instructions when I get a minute and report back to you.
Many thanks
Adrian

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:27:45 pm

Hi, I would not be running Windows XP on the internet. I suspect you are referring to WebPlus by Serif? I use it too but it won't run on GNU/Linux unless you run an up-to-date Windows OS in Virtual Box (I have NOT tried this!).

WebPlus does allow you to export your created sites to .html files - all you need to do then is login to your ftp site and upload the files in Zorin. ;) :D

adrian5750

Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:46:38 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I would not be running Windows on the internet. I suspect you are referring to WebPlus by Serif? I use it too but it won't run on GNU/Linux unless you run an up-to-date Windows OS in Virtual Box (I have NOT tried this!).

WebPlus does allow you to export your created sites to .html files - all you need to do then is login to your ftp site and upload the files in Zorin. ;) :D

Thanks for your reply.
No - the program in question is WYSIWYBWebBuilder - which can apparently be persuaded to run under playonlinux / wine -
though, so far, I've not been able to achieve this.

Thanks
Adrian

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:25:18 pm

OK, Just one more thing, I would advise that if you do attempt to install under PlayOnLinux or WINE then I would stick with 32-bit versions of Zorin as I have experienced issues trying to get 32-bit windows applications running on 64-bit Zorin. ;) :D