This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] I messed up my taskbar

mdiemer

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:42:10 am

Well I did it, I managed to screw something up on my nice fresh Zorin 9 core, on its own dedicated drive. In fooling around with the applets for the taskbar, I made the ones that were on the left, like the "start menu," disappear. Now everything is over on the right. I looked for a default reset, but couldn't find any. Waaa, I want my Zorin back the way it was!

mdiemer

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:38:50 am

I made some progress. Got the "start menu" back on the left, and the clock and the rest of that stuff remained on the right. but I can't figure out how to get Firefox back on the task-bar, in its usual spot next to the Zorin logo (start menu). Can't remember if there is supposed to be anything else there on the left.

mdiemer

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:42:35 pm

Solved problem by reinstalling Zorin. Unfortunately, I wiped out my Vista drive in doing so. I forgot to disconnect it before the install, and that's where it went. Thought I had an image somewhere but can't find it. Lesson learned: Always disconnect any drives you are not installing to. Always have an image handy. Oh well, it was only Vista...but I liked it. Last decent OS Microshaft made.

Edit: I take that back. W7 is also decent. Fortunately I did have an image of that which I was able to put on that drive.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:21:58 pm

If you haven't written to the disk that Vista was on since it disappeared, have you tried recovery with Test Disk?

mdiemer

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:50:30 am

I was not aware you could recover something from a drive on which a new OS had been written, unless you have military-level tools. Anyway it's academic, because I did burn a W7 image on that drive last night, so Vista is history (in more ways than one).

mdiemer

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:18:42 am

Yes, mark as solved. Although I ended up causing more problems than I actually solved. but that's on me.