This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Adding new themes and icons to Zorin OS9

yaba-daba-doh

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:18:17 am

:?: I understand that Zorin OS9 is based on Ubuntu 14.04.x LTS. That being said, can I add new/different themes and icons to Zorin like I can with Unity? There are numerous themes and icons available but I am not certain whether or not they will work. And, I don't want to mess up my current configuration. :( Also, I am assuming that I can build my own theme. In doing this, I assume that the steps/procedures in Unity are pretty much the same for Zorin - right? Any input appreciated. ;)

yaba-daba-doh

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:50:56 am

http://www.noobslab.com/p/themes-icons.html

Yep - I've been to Noobslab site getting some stuff for my copy of Unity. Wasn't sure if I could do the same for Zorin. How about the Gnome Look.org? And, are there any other links?.

Edited by Wolfman!. (Missing posts due to forum failure!).

Anonymous

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:23:23 am

yaba-daba-doh > Via Zorin OS 9..one would need the [ Ubuntu-Tweak-Tool ] installed besides the [ Tweak Tool ] to get some of the majority themes to work as a whole.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:52:14 am

yaba-daba-doh wrote:Yep - I've been to Noobslab site getting some stuff for my copy of Unity. Wasn't sure if I could do the same for Zorin. How about the Gnome Look.org? And, are there any other links?

Gnome-look.org themes come in tarballed archives, for example some of the Azenis themes are in tar.bz2 format.

What I do with these is to extract with Archive manager, then re-archive as .tar.gz then use 'alien' to convert to .deb file and install the themes that way.

The alien command is (after you have installed it with
Code:
sudo apt-get install alien
from a terminal or search for it using Synaptic Package Manager (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager).

Then in a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T):

Code:
sudo alien [name of tar.gz package]

This will create a .deb package which you can install with the Software Centre/er or better yet 'gdebi' - which you may need to install if not yet present.

As a cursory reminder to all, you should always inspect archives before unpacking - Gnome-look did have a bad package once they let slip through that would wipe the OS completely if unpacked.

See my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6076&p=28820&hilit=Blackwolf+ubundows8#p28820

yaba-daba-doh

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:17:08 am

;) Thanks to all who responded. I will definitely check out the additional sites (links). Compared with Unity, I believe Zorin OS (so far) is (for me) better. I might just get rid of Unity altogether at a later date and use something "least cumbersome" (easier to use).

yaba-daba-doh

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:08:01 am

Yep - please mark RESOLVED. I did not find this option when submitted my last post. Thanks.