This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

SOLVED. Need cd/dvd to install updates?

blue

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:51:20 am

Hi,
Recently this problem began: I get the notification that updates are available (Zorin 6, ubuntu 12.04.5), then when I try to download them, I get this popup (attached) that says that zorin 9 trusty cd/dvd is required, please look at my screenshot. Any help appreciated!
Thanks!
Blue
PS:Dell n5050 inspiron 15 dual boot win 7, Zorin 6. Almost never use Windows, but I now notice my fan is running continually in both...which is new.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:47:35 am

Hi, You should not be using Zorin 6 any more:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267

;) :D

blue

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:07:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, You should not be using Zorin 6 any more:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267

;) :D

Ahhh...2.15 (my version). Thanks very much. I appreciate it. I changed to 9 everywhere else, except this notebook. A conscious decision but not well thought out apparently---I thought the security updates were all I needed. I was trying to go to the end of support which I thought was through 2016 (?).
Thanks!! :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:26:25 pm

Hi, it was due to end in April 2017 - it only came to light a few months back when a security outfit made a 'proof of concept' and so 'glibc' was a security issue since 2013 within the GNU/Linux Kernel. So this will have effected all distributions, not just Zorin, e.g,, the previous iteration to 'Freya' in Elementary OS is a case in point! ;) :D