This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Terms and Conditions

Elfus

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:28:00 am

Hello,

I am new to ZorinOs and would like to use it in a daily basis
But first I would like to read ZorinOs Terms and Conditions.
Where can I find this information?

Thanks in advance

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:10:01 pm

Are you asking in respect of Ultimate version?

Elfus

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02:18 pm

I am asking in respect of Core version

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:56:07 pm

What do you wish to know?

Elfus

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:59:11 pm

Well, I came from Windows, and when you do a clean install, you are asked to accept the Terms and Conditions.
Just would like to have an idea how does ZorinOS collect personnal data, or if it collects them at all, and if it does, how it is handled.
Also would like to know how safe would it be to use ZorinOs Core to work with sensitive information

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:11:47 pm

Just like all other GNU/Linux distributions it comes with absolutely no warranties as to whether it will work or not and you use at your own risk. You can freely distribute copies of the Core version to anyone, and you can install to as many machines as is under your control.

As for privacy, checkout the unofficial manual:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9512

You may want to turn all privacy settings to what you want to share - Menu | System Tools | System Settings - Privacy.

You may also want to disable 'zeitgeist' - Wolfman posted on how to remove this.

As for sensitive data, you could always encrypt your '/home' folder AFTER installation, but beware that you stand the risk, just as in Windows, if the system should ever fail, your encrypted data is gone forever!

If you are worried, use an external hard drive - but don't be reliant on USB memory sticks/flash drives as they have a read /write life expectancy just like Solid State Drives.

Hope this helps! ;) :D

Elfus

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:23:49 pm

This helps

Thanks

If I have more questions I will ask

Thanks again, :)

Wolfman

Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:07:10 am

See the FAQ's page:

http://zorinos.com/faq.html