This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(Solved) Zorin vs. Ubuntu: Audio

mdiemer

Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:06:09 pm

I had a closed thread about how I couldn't get the UR-22 audio interface to work in Zorin. I decided to try it in Ubuntu. I installed 13.10, but it didn't recognize it. I was prepared for that and immediately upgraded to 14.02. It recognized it, and it works. Even seems to sound better than it did on Windows (maybe my imagination). Apparently there was a patch which is what makes it work, and this patch is incorporated in the latest version. So...any chance of getting this patch into Zorin? The following thread discusses this patch:

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... ux#p426922

mdiemer

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:08:45 am

First of all, sorry about posting in the wrong place again (I think I need stronger glasses). Anyway, I just got back into Zorin again, and now my UR-22 does work! What I think happened is that in fooling with it in Ubuntu, I changed a setting on the UR-22, which controls whether you are using a program to create music, such as sonar or Ardour; or are using an external device, like a mic or guitar. So, it's likely that it worked before, I just had this knob set wrong. Now I have the dilemma of choosing between Zorin and Ubuntu. Sigh...

Wolfman

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:59:02 am

I would choose Zorin over Ubuntu (Unity) any day!, simply because I don't like the Unity interface!. :D

Do you need any other help with this matter?. :D

mdiemer

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:13:37 pm

Just curious: Is it possible that by installing Ubuntu, which contained the patch necessary to make the UR22 work, that Zorin found that patch and applied it? I think it more likely that what I said above, regarding the configuration of the UR22's controls, was what made it work. But I know that Windows will do that, find a driver for example on your computer and install it to get something working.

I do also prefer Zorin, but will fool around with Ubuntu, just to become more proficient in general with Linux.

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:56:32 pm

Well if you want to get to learn GNU/Linux you may also want to check out other Package Managers - Fedora uses YUM, and to install .deb packages in distros based on Red Hat like Fedora you need to use a package called 'worm'. ;) :D

Please note the correct term is GNU/Linux - without GNU there would be no Linux. GNU was written by Richard Stallman and he was working on producing a kernel and Linus Torvalds came out with his kernel first. ;) :D