This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Problem installing Zorin on Corsair Force GS 120GB

SLOYAROLE™

Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:09:55 pm

callet09 wrote:I got it to work now. Had to disable a few things in bios. You can close this topic. I have solved it :)

Any chance you could post your solution? I have a Lenovo H50-50 (Windows 10) and cannot get Zorin 9 Ultimate to install - black screen with the panic error. Been at it for over a week now and have tried everything.

Thanks.

Wolfman

Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:11:27 pm

Hi,

did you follow this advice when creating your boot media?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

If you did use a USB stick, did you fully format the stick:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171&p=34209#p34209

Rules apply to Win 10 here also even though the links are about Win 8:

http://windows.wonderhowto.com/how-to/a ... 8-0139059/

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/0 ... ndows.html

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable- ... ndows-8-1/

SLOYAROLE™

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:27:41 am

I received the PM and sorry I thread-jacked. Hope the OP can post his solution. Nothing in those links worked. Tried all of that way before registering here.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:14:09 am

Hi,

tell us what you done thus far so we can try and eliminate what might be causing the problem!. :D

I assume you are having problems with UEFI?:

Did you disable "Fastboot/quickboot" and "secure boot" in Winblows 10?.

http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-wind ... linux.htm/

The above link should/will work for Windows 10 too!. :D

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

SLOYAROLE™

Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:24:21 pm

Yeah, I've tried all of the solutions from this site as well as Google search results. UEFI, Legacy, FastBoot On/Off, Secure Boot On/Off... Every combination in between...nothing works. I think it's an issue with my specific model PC because I've tried the USB and DVD installs on several other PC's and Zorin Live and install work just fine. I can even install regular Unbuntu on my PC (but prefer not to since I paid for Zorin 9 Ultimate). Thanks for your help.

Again, sorry to threadjack but usually on forums when you post new threads asking questions as a newbie, you get blasted with "use the search" responses. Been there, done that. Since this guy fixed his issue, I figured I'd ask what the solution was. Maybe it was something I haven't tried.

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

tell us what you done thus far so we can try and eliminate what might be causing the problem!. :D

I assume you are having problems with UEFI?:

Did you disable "Fastboot/quickboot" and "secure boot" in Winblows 10?.

http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-wind ... linux.htm/

The above link should/will work for Windows 10 too!. :D

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:24:39 pm

Hi, First off it may not be necessary to disable UEFI:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9754#p48489

I have had Windows 10 and MakuluLinux 10 living side by side but not on an UEFI BIOS rig. The crunch with 10 is that it has a System partition at the beginning of the drive of 350 Mb (like the 100 Mb System partition in 7) but also has one at the end (450 Mb Recovery). Now as you have a 'branded' PC you may also have a 'hidden restore' partition - so this means a total of four partitions and they will all be marked as Primary in the 'mbr' or GPT table of the drive which means no place for '/' to reside.

How I fixed my issue on a none EFI BIOS rig was:

1. Right-click computer in Windows 10 and select 'Manage' then go to 'Disk Management' - yoiu may want to run Chkdsk (which will require a reboot - this may well not be present in Win 10) but at the very least, defrag 'C:\' before letting Windows shrink the partition for you.

2. Create an 'extended partition' in the space left after shrinking.

3. create the following partitions inside the extended partition:
A. '/boot' - 512 Mb formatted to 'ext4'
B '/' formatted to 30720 Mb (30 Gig) formatted to 'ext4'
C a logical partition with 4 Gb 'swap area' at END of partition.
D whatever is left between '/' and 'swap area' format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home'

4. Make a note of where '/' is (its sda number) and be sure to put GRUB in '/boot'

5. Install NeoSmart EasyBCD bootloader in Windows - this allows you to fine tune the 'mbr' so as not to affect booting to windows.

Other things to take care of are ensuring that you go to the unseen part of 'power options' - particularly the bit about the hard drive going into sleep mode - this means the drive is never turned off and you will never be able to boot any linux DVD! ;) :D

For more details on how to do Easy BCD check out Matthew Moore video and mine - links here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7993#p41087

SLOYAROLE™

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:52:18 am

I greatly appreciate the detailed and thoughtful post. I'm not home now but definitely post back to you after I'm able to spend time applying your suggestions. Great day to you.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, First off it may not be necessary to disable UEFI:

I have had Windows 10 and MakuluLinux 10 living side by side but not on an UEFI BIOS rig. The crunch with 10 is that it has a System partition at the beginning of the drive of 350 Mb (like the 100 Mb System partition in 7) but also has one at the end (450 Mb Recovery). Now as you have a 'branded' PC you may also have a 'hidden restore' partition - so this means a total of four partitions and they will all be marked as Primary in the 'mbr' or GPT table of the drive which means no place for '/' to reside.

1. Right-click computer in Windows 10 and select 'Manage' then go to 'Disk Management' - yoiu may want to run Chkdsk (which will require a reboot - this may well not be present in Win 10) but at the very least, defrag 'C:\' before letting Windows shrink the partition for you.

D whatever is left between '/' and 'swap area' format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home'

4. Make a note of where '/' is (its sda number) and be sure to put GRUB in '/boot'

5. Install NeoSmart EasyBCD bootloader in Windows - this allows you to fine tune the 'mbr' so as not to affect booting to windows.

Other things to take care of are ensuring that you go to the unseen part of 'power options' - particularly the bit about the hard drive going into sleep mode - this means the drive is never turned off and you will never be able to boot any linux DVD! ;) :D

For more details on how to do Easy BCD check out Matthew Moore video and mine - links here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

SLOYAROLE™

Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:04:45 pm

So, I was finally able to get free time to attempt installation with this advice. Sad to say, fail. I think it's just my PC or motherboard based on my extensive Google searching. Z9U just won't play nice with my computer. I appreciate your help.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, First off it may not be necessary to disable UEFI:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

SLOYAROLE™

Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:50:13 am

I replied to this a few days ago but it seems to not have been approved.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks for the input. I've moved on because this OS just does not work on my computer. Not even the Lite or Core versions.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:07:52 am

OK, have marked as [CLOSED] :D