This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED) Netgear WNA3100 driver (ndiswrapper fatal error)

NSPredator

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:23:29 am

Hello I have just migrated from Windows 7 to Zorin 10 64bit and so far the UI is looking great! However I have ran into issues with installing drivers for my Netgear WNA3100 wireless dongle. At first I downloaded the Windows setup drivers program before I formatted Windows 7 and installed Zorin. However this did not work. I than used the “Windows wireless drivers” application to install the .inf files but upon installing I receive this error “FATAL error: ndiswrapper not found”. Upon following the instructions on this thread: I get the following error: http://hastebin.com/yawoleziqo.vbs . I am unable to connect an Ethernet cable to my Zorin PC as it’s not located near a router (hence why I am using wireless). Currently I am using a USB stick to transfer files from my Linux Mint machine to my Zorin PC. Anyone have any ideas on how I can resolve this problem?

Additional notes:
Output of lsusb command:
http://hastebin.com/ozoqapihan.vhdl

Output of :
http://hastebin.com/kohubeyona.vhdl

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:31:57 am

Hi and welcome, I did post some drivers on here for that (courtesy of madvinegar - for some reason his postings disappeared.
Not sure if I only posted the 32-bit one - will upload the 64-bit on this pm (unless madvinegar beats me to it!

UPDATE - it's here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6354&hilit=+wnda3100

Just extract the .tar.gz file using Zorin right-click open with 'Archive Manager' Extract - then open Windows Wireless Drivers tool and search for the .inf file where you extracted! ;) :D

NSPredator

Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:33:25 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi and welcome, I did post some drivers on here for that (courtesy of madvinegar - for some reason his postings disappeared.
Not sure if I only posted the 32-bit one - will upload the 64-bit on this pm (unless madvinegar beats me to it!

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Are the drivers the issue? I thought I installed ndiswrapper incorrectly :lol:

Many thanks!

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:35:58 am

Check my reply above.

Open synaptic, and search for 'ndiswrapper' - now the problem MIGHT still exist if 'ndiswrapper-dkms' and 'ndiswrapper-source' not available - because you can't get wired - but try and see if my solution above works. The reason dkms is not present at point of install is because it is dependent on the kernel that is installed. ;) :D

Wolfman

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:23:59 am

Hi,

run system updates first using a network cable connection then try installing the .inf files again, "ndiswrapper" should already be installed?. :D

Set your software sources download location to "Main server"!. :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

NSPredator

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:54:23 am

In the end I purchased a 30 meter Ethernet cable and attached it from my PC to my router. I installed ndiswrapper and all of its dependencies in a few seconds. Now I am connected to the internet :)

Swarfendor437 wrote:Check my reply above.

Open synaptic, and search for 'ndiswrapper' - now the problem MIGHT still exist if 'ndiswrapper-dkms' and 'ndiswrapper-source' not available - because you can't get wired - but try and see if my solution above works. The reason dkms is not present at point of install is because it is dependent on the kernel that is installed. ;) :D

Originally I followed the steps that you provided and I started to transfer all of the ndiswapper-source dependencies from my Linux Mint machine to my Zorin 10 machine. This was working but I grew tried of transferring packages (the list seemed endless :lol:)

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:53:00 am

Hi glad you got sorted - when Zorin installs the only packages not present are two:

ndiswrapper-dkms

ndiswrapper-source

:D

Glad you are sorted friend! ;) :D