This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wireless appears connected but isn't

Techie trucker

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:32:18 pm

I'm running zorin 9. Wireless is connected then drops after a little while but still appears connected. In ask new to this and coming from Windows it's got a slight learning curve. I think I've updated everything. I have drivers but didn't install them because it appeared to work fine. And don't know how to install them, driver disk didn't come with gui for Linux lol go figure. Also have Ethernet set to share to the other computers on my network. Please let me know what else you guys need top help me with this. Much appreciated thank you in advance.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:25:47 pm

Hi, please be patient! Hopefully madvinegar will answer your problems in due course. Oh and welcome! :D

Wolfman

Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:51:23 am

Hi,

while you wait for Madvinegar, try the following, open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + t and then type (copy & paste) the following commands:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

followed by

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

Also try:

Code:
sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

The above command downloads and installs any missing packages on your system.

Code:
sudo apt-get --fix-broken install

The above command downloads and installs any broken dependencies on your system.

Also try this command and then reboot on all accounts!:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See the update guide also and make sure that your software sources download location is set to "Main server":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know if it helps. :D

Techie trucker

Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:43:57 pm

Ok I did it. I'll update in a couple days to see how it goes. Btw, is there a book or somethinghow can read with all the command and what they do? I'd like to learn Linux, but as a beginner don't know where to start really.....I'd this works I'd like to turn this system into a filter for the network. For traffic so I don't have to worry about viruses or malware as much. Don't have much problem anyway. Worse case, atleast I'll know how to do it. Many many things I want to learn. But for now the basics and fixing the current issue.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:51:20 pm