This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] how to change crypt password

don

Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:38:28 pm

I am having no problems at present but passwords like clothes need to be changed and I can't find how to change the password on crypt, (or TrueCrypt?) the encryption program that Zorin used on my disk before it installed itself. could someone tell me how or where to find out?

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:09:48 pm

Zorin does not put any encryption on disk before installing! :?

don

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:12:14 am

I am very confused.
I downloaded the Zorin iso onto a DVD and ran Zorin from there to test it out.
Later I used the disk to install Zorin on my HDD and either just before or after the formatting of the HDD was given the option to encrypt the disk and did so. I believe it used TrueCrypt.
It was a new HDD and there is, and never has been, anything else on it except Zorin.
I downloaded no other programs on the DVD except the Zorin iso.

When I boot up the Zorin page comes up with Enter, edit, and command line. I hit enter and then the Zorin logo comes up with a long line starting with "Unlocking the disk/..." And requests I "Enter passphrase" followed by a black box. I enter the password I created and if I do so correctly it say something to the effect it is successful and then Zorin boots up.

If this is not a part of Zorin what is it?

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:03:38 pm

If this is a new drive, it could be preformatted? Could have been formatted to NTFS with BitLocker by the manufacturer? Other than that you would have had to follow this guide first!:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FullD ... ptionHowto

don

Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:47:07 pm

Since I formatted the drive when I installed Zorin whatever was previously there would be irrelevant would it not?
The encryption was done after the formatting because on the page where it gives options for how to install Zorin there is a box labelled "Encrypt the New Zorin for security." I checked this box and, after the formatting which advised it would destroy anything on the disk, was asked for a password. I entered it. I am asked for this password every time I boot up after I am already in Zorin, (just after the boot option page and just before the actual boot.) This is not the administrator password. I created a different password for that.
Almost all the installation examples I can find on the web are for dual boot which I did not do. None I can find show what happens when you check this box including the Zorin 9 download manual from this web site. Although the box is shown in screen shots.
I checked the connection you gave and nothing there looks like what I have or have done. I did not have to go to any command lines, everything was done inside the Zorin install process.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:57:48 am

Hi, Well firstly I am not aware of a prompt for encrypting the whole drive at boot time, only the '/home' folder - this should not be done at installation time but after - and don't blame Zorin for this - it is a 'bug' that has existed for some time on Ubuntu and forks of it due to the installer script not being corrected to remove this (from previous searches on the issue). I would backup any data you have with encryption removed and reinstall Zorin. :(

don

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:19:58 am

Humm. A bug so easily creating just what I wanted, an encrypted drive. Discouraging.
I do appreciate your time. At least I know what is going on. By the way, just for your info, it asked to encrypt the home folder separately, which worked once on my first test run with a USB drive, but never again. The installation hung up.
Even if I can't change the password. I plan to create another drive so please don't let anyone "fix" the bug!

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:09:31 am

Hi, as we can't progress this any further have marked as [CLOSED]. ;) :D