This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Supported Spec's?

Cynical

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:46:36 pm

I'm interested in loading Zorin 9 Core (possibly Ultimate) as my main OS... However, I'm currently running under a Windows 10 OS, with a raid partitioned C: and back D: drive. (2x128 SSD & 1TB (7200) ) Laptop manufacturer = GIGABYTE, P25W v2 - I have Zorin OS 9 Core running in a virtual machine, but compatibility seems a little off. Sound rendering if using PlayonLinux (Diablo III) and graphics are both off. I'm not sure if this is due to it being ran in a VM, or if nvidia/realtek (graphics/sound drivers) aren't compatible with Zorin. I want to find an alternative without having to buy a new PC - but gigabyte offers no support drivers for anything but windows. (to my knowledge)

I'm sure there's workable generic drivers... if I have to I can upload a DxDiag and/or CPU-Z to show full spec's...

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:32:41 pm

Hi, from using VMPlayer in the past I have had issues with sound in VM's. If sound works, try running Zorin live either on DVD or memory stick without installing - your sound should still work in live mode - in fact the Zorin team recommend you do this before installing. Keep us posted! ;) :D

Cynical

Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:53:08 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, from using VMPlayer in the past I have had issues with sound in VM's. If sound works, try running Zorin live either on DVD or memory stick without installing - your sound should still work in live mode - in fact the Zorin team recommend you do this before installing. Keep us posted! ;) :D

Yeah, I thought about doing this.. was trying to avoid buying another USB (My BIOS refuses CD/DVD boot, but boots fine from USB) Lol Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out and keep updated.

Cynical

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:14:21 pm

Cynical wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, from using VMPlayer in the past I have had issues with sound in VM's. If sound works, try running Zorin live either on DVD or memory stick without installing - your sound should still work in live mode - in fact the Zorin team recommend you do this before installing. Keep us posted! ;) :D

Yeah, I thought about doing this.. was trying to avoid buying another USB (My BIOS refuses CD/DVD boot, but boots fine from USB) Lol Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out and keep updated.

Well, it seemed to run fine at first..? I loaded Zorin through VMWare Workstation Pro (full install, 75G HD, just to update..) Updated, then used the tool to create a flash USB (64GB drive)... Wanted to at least have room for persistance, so that I could update and try it out.. however, the persistent volume never exceeded 4GB. (I tried using UNetbooting, Windows, Zorin itself, and one other which I can't remember.) Now, as I said it booted fine, seemed to run okay. Touchpad was disabled at the "Try or Install" screen, so I had to attach a mouse to it.. After updating a few things, and I'm not sure which because the software updater pretty much took over, it did notice a NVidia proprietary driver, 4 of them actually... and 1 x.org one or something. So, of course, I chose the proprietary driver Nvidia Gforce series... (No, I can't remember which one exactly, it was the top one in the given list..) Upon reboot, graphics seemed fine, things were running smoothely, however... I got a flag saying there was like 113MB left on the drive.

So, I opened GP parted through the live boot, trying to actually identify how much space there. (Noting this probably wasn't the wisest thing, considering I have multiple drives on and connected to this system, and it saw them.. all.) And that's where the trouble started. Obviously, since it was running from the USB GP parted would not allow me to actually extend, or alter the size of the file system. Now, it's a 64GB drive, I know Zorin uses between4-8GB for the install, with persistance... I should be able to at least have a live image with 50+GB of "saved" data... in theory. Not that it matters at the moment... as I realized i had my western digital USB 3TB (backup drive...) connected as well. When gparted opened I got flagged with a few errors, and am (pretty) sure that I chose to not attempt any file at the end to append or whatever it was asking... With all drives mounted, the live image noticed (and had mounted) /dev/mapping/incan'tremember... /dev/sda, /dev/sdb (i think at least) then /dev/sdd1 and sdd2 (Noting the sizes of each, the mapping and sda 1 and whatever were referring to the intel mapped raid drive, as both drive read as 113GB and the mapping was 250GB. Didn't attempt any sort of partition, write, or otherwise... just sort of looked at each to see how it reacted.

Now, I did transfer files from a flash drive, to my 3TB drive, while I was in Zorin Live. (Both drives are allocated to windows, and the host system had never had problems before.)
And, I know I deleted something, somewhere..because when I rebooted into windows I had a .Trash999 folder on my local D: drive.... Now, the problem is I can't access my WD external at all... Windows won't recognize it, and it's holding the backup for windows... Sooo, I'm not sure how I should go about trying to get the drive recognized again. It had my main drives on the local computer mounted as well, and obviously wrote to my local D: (Also changed a few of the files to linux readable, though that was easily fixed by simply which program to open with.)

In that small note, I'd be affraid something major would go wrong. I mainly use the Laptop for school/gaming... and all my backups are on the external. At this point, it's a catch 22... I'm sure if I booted back into Zorin using the live-boot USB, I could access it... but I doubt that would solve the issue, the Live-boot would have to be created again as in order to test graphics card such as gaming and such... I'd have to be able to have more then 4GB of persistence. Enough for updates, drivers, and (one) game... ranging around 25GB (more/less with updates.. that's why I'd need the entire 64GB hd as a readable persistance.) I've done this with other linux OS distro's, debian based did it very well. Was able to partition the boot sector, OS, and entire remaining drive as persistance... i just can't remember what I used to do it.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:00:52 pm

Forgive me for not reading your entire post - the clue was in the first few lines. You have to format to FAT 32 and as you may be aware this could be why you are getting 4 Gb errors. Someone did post a how-to create a drive with persistence in a different way which worked - don't have time to look now! ;) :D