This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

the taskbar doesn't show the icons

Cheesy85

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:48:24 am

So I installed Zorin OS 9 Core and I think this is a really good distro, but today I observed, that the taskbar in Windows 7 look doesn't show the icons of the opened stuff. It is interesting, because the Windows XP look's taskbar is normal. Can I do something to fix it?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:50:35 am

HI, try booting into safe graphics mode which you get to by choosing the second menu item in the Menu at Boot time. Once there, select DPKG but be sure you have a wired connection to the internet. Let DPKG do it's thing then shut down (NOT continue) and reboot to see if it helps. You may also want to change your 'Software Update' settings to point to 'Main Server' too so that you get all necessary updates. (Menu | System Tools | System Settings | Sofware Update - then after it has done it's whirring, click on the 'Settings' button and choose the first tab on the window that opens and change software source to 'Main Server'.
Keep us posted! :D

Cheesy85

Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:26:54 pm

Thanks for the answer but it didn't work :(

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:01:09 pm

Hi, you did update the system after installing Zorin? If not make sure you also change your software update settings to 'Main Server'. (Menu | System Settings | Administration | Software Update - wait for it to 'whir' and once complete, click on the 'Settings' button, then select the first tab on the window that opens and where it points to 'software sources' change to 'Main Server' - please also ensue that 'Update to the latest Ubuntu' is set to 'Never'. Keep us posted! :D