This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Setting up read/write privileges for a new HDD

Maerskian

Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:44:54 pm

Hi again ^__^

Bought a new 3TB Internal (NAS) HDD for my computer recently and just a couple hours ago, finished installing it, creating partitions ( 3 partitions on ext4 ), created 3 directories on /media ( named "Zorin01" , "Zorin02" and "Zorin03" ) and modified the fstab file so the new partitions automount on startup with these lines:

Note: the UUID of this example is just a random copy-paste alphanumeric code for this purpouse, but the actual UUID's works perfectly , and everything else is identical .

Code:
UUID=e8b6dfd9-252f-4065-81ee-70e40313e1a5    /media/Zorin01   ext4   errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=e8b6dfd9-252f-4065-81ee-70e40313e1a5    /media/Zorin02   ext4   errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=e8b6dfd9-252f-4065-81ee-70e40313e1a5    /media/Zorin03   ext4   errors=remount-ro 0 1

After rebooting, these three new partitions automount properly ... but i can't write on any of 'em since i'm not the owner of this machine and don't have permission to write anything there.

On this computer i have:

- One 250 gb SSD with two partitions ( NTFS for Windows 8.1 + ext4 for Zorin 9 )
- One 3TB HDD with three ext4 partitions
PLUS
- The new 3TB HDD with three ext4 partitions

Funny thing is, i used the same lines with my older 3TB HDD and it works without issues... its partitions automount and i can write/read without a single problem .

Any idea as to what could possibly be happening ? Why can i access the first 3TB HDD but not the second one ?

Thanks in advance as always ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8892

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:09:46 am

As I understand it 3 TB drives have to be 'tricked' in order to be seen etc under GNU/Linux. You mentioned Windows 8.1:

1. Has Legacy boot been enabled?

2. Has Quick Boot in BIOS been disabled?

3. Has the hidden Power Options in 8.1 been disabled?

This is all pure speculation on my part - you do state it is not your machine so this could be a permissions issue?

Maerskian

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:48:21 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:As I understand it 3 TB drives have to be 'tricked' in order to be seen etc under GNU/Linux. You mentioned Windows 8.1:

1. Has Legacy boot been enabled?

2. Has Quick Boot in BIOS been disabled?

3. Has the hidden Power Options in 8.1 been disabled?

This is all pure speculation on my part - you do state it is not your machine so this could be a permissions issue?

This is clearly a permissions issue, because i've been working with the SSD for the OS + 3TB HDD for a good while without issues.

Problem is with the second 3TB HDD : already created three ext4 partitions with Gparted for this one, and edited Fstab so they automount at startup. So far it's all good ... but i can't copy/creat any new files to the second 3TB HDD .

I still can access the first 3TB HDD as usual... but not the second one.

Checked on "properties" on one of these new partitions from the second 3TB HDD and looks like i don't have privileges, so it definitely must be that.

What's confusing is .... i used the same structure to automount & access the first 3TB HDD :

Code:
UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX    /media/folder_name   ext4   errors=remount-ro 0 1

And it still works.... for the first 3TB HDD ... but not for the second one .

Also, there's only one user on this computer.

Clearly, i need to change something on that line to grant writing permissions ... but, what should i modify ?

Thank you very much

Edit: quick boot is disabled , and i used the alternative method for dual boot with windows that was suggested on this forum some time ago ( making the linux partition bootable, instead of modifying the MBR, then using EasyBCD on windows to add the Linux option at startup ) . Anyways... this doesn't seem to be the problem ; i can see the second 3TB HDD, i can mount/unmount the three new partitions ( need to enter root password ) ... but nothing else .

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:39:26 pm

Maerskian

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:45:36 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, does this help?:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... wHardDrive

It certainly did, thanks a lot !! :D

In the end, had to open the terminal and do this :

Code:
sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERNAME /media/mynewdrive

for each one of the new ext4 partitions ..... for the second 3TB HDD only , not for the first 3TB HDD .

Doesn't make much sense to me... or i fail to see the logic of it. As i see it is should either do the same for both HDDs or for none of 'em.

Would love to know the reason behind this... but hey, at the very least, it finally works and couldn't be happier ^__^

Thanks again for your help . Found documentation regarding those last numbers on the line i added on the fstab:

Code:
UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX    /media/folder_name   ext4   errors=remount-ro 0 1

and changed from 0 to 7 ... but nothing ever changed. Oh well... it's a happy ending at the very least .

Thanks-a-zillion !!!

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:57:34 pm

Hi friend, glad you are sorted! :D