This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Adding a GTX 960 GPU to my homebuilt?

PNWDrew

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:29:38 pm

Hi!

I've been using Zorin 10 for 6-7 months with no issues; it's been very stable. Thanks for the distro, it's now the only OS on 2 PCs in the house. If it wasn't for work requirements I'd rarely use any MS products. :mrgreen:

Specs: AMD A10-7850K on a Gigabyte F2A88XN-WIFI mobo, Samsung 120gb SSD. I am adding a EVGA GTX 960 GPU in a few days. Will the OS just recognize the new GPU and prompt me to choose between Nouveau and the closed Nvidia drivers? :?:

I've had issues installing graphics drivers in the past in other distros and wanted to minimize the risk, so any advice?

Drew

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:01:42 am

I cannot say for certain one way or the other - some members have reported no issues - but if you want to play safe, backup your entire OS using redobackup:

http://www.redobackup.org

PNWDrew

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:15:38 am

Update - The GPU is up and running with only a few issues.
1) I had a blank screen on 1st boot. Resolved by setting BIOS to UEFI and Legacy. This was an expected possibility.
2) After 2nd boot I had incorrect resolution, but I was able to enable the proprietary drivers and regained normal home. Oddly I was no longer able to resume from suspend unless I switched user first. That wasn't too bad but it led to issue #3
3) 3rd boot I was unable to log in. After accepting my password it would just prompt for it again. I dropped into terminal and googled on my tablet. That seems to be a common problem with Nvidia drivers and there are many "solutions". Being a noob I tried anything that seemed promising. Don't quote me but I think these were what got me past login (from terminal history):
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

4) Splash screen and grub menu remain stuck at a bad resolution but otherwise the GPU is working well and the system has returned to normal suspend / wake behavior and survived multiple reboots.

So whether I actually did anything to resolve it or the OS just recovered is unknown but unimportant. I'm happy with it.

Thanks again for the awesome distro. I'll end up having to pollute this PC and dual boot Windows for some work related BS, but Zorin serves me well as my primary OS. 1 yr with no MS was nice!

Drew

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:42:49 am

Hi, Glad you got things sorted drew! ;) :D