This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

before I install Zorin?

Casandra

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:07:49 pm

Currently Windows 7. Does Zorin have the function of saving shortcuts to Desktop?
and personal Pix on Desktop and screen saver random from Pictures Folder? How is safety in relation to viruses, compared with MS. or others?

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:07:33 am

First off if you are intending to run any Windows Apps stick with 32-bit and also LTS support version of 9 - 10 is end of life in January 2016!
You should be able to send a shortcut to the desktop by right-clicking the menu item and selecting place shortcut on desktop - if for any reason the icon does not show correctly, right-click, select properties, then check mark permissions tab in respect of run as executable. As for Personal Pix (Pictures?) You should be able to do this by for example, copying a picture to the Pictures folder in your '/home' directory, double-click it to open up in image viewer then from the Menu of image viewer, 'set as desktop background'! :D

As for screensaver, you would have to install 'screensaver' using Synaptic Package Manager and once installed check out if random screensavers are accessible - not certain about using pics from Pictures folder.

You can try this live before installation! :D

Casandra

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:09:40 am

try this live before installation, what more can I ask for. Thanks
I'm not teckie, don't know what you mean LTS support version of 9 - 10 is end of life in January 2016!
End of life I guess means no support? after Jan 2016? I have 64 bit.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:43:30 pm

Yes that is correct, end-of-life means no support after this date - the next LTS is likely to be 11 which would likely to be Summer of next year at a guess, based on Ubuntu 16.04 - LTS = 5 years! ;) :D and each LTS iteration released every 2 years after the previous one. ;) :D

blfriis

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:06:07 pm

Hi If you want a screensaver wich shows your pic, try this
Code:
sudo apt-get purge gnome-screensaver

Code:
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-gl-extra xscreensaver-data-extra

Then find upstart programs and click on add then
Name
Code:
xscreensaver

Command
Code:
xscreensaver -nosplash

Reboot and start xscreensaver thoose GLslide and add the path to your pic folder

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:07:33 pm

Thanks blfriis - I had forgotten the name of the printer - love the Matrix screensavers! ;) :D

blfriis

Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:22:39 pm

You're welcome Swarfendor437 you can get matrix in your terminal just run sudo apt-get install cmatrix and then write cmatrix