This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Missing System tray or Icons

stockdam

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:43:10 pm

Hi,

This may be a double posts so please delete and accept my apologies.

I've recently lost the system tray or its icons. I'm running Zorin 9 Lite.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:44:44 pm

Hi, not sure if Lite does use AWN - that is for core - suspect because it is base on Lubuntu that it is 'lxpanel'.

Not running Lite at present but try this:

1. Now I can't remember if Zorin Lite has something like 'system monitor' but see if you can launch it from a terminal:

Code:
system-monitor

to see what processes are running - see if 'lxpanel' is present.

2. Create a second user account and see if the panel looks correct for the new user you have created - again run system monitor to see what is running.

3. In Core, moving the panel to a new location (Top of screen) then back to its original place might resolve but not sure how to access this in Lite - sorry!

4. Run an update from the terminal - while I wrote this - did this issue arise AFTER an update?

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

You will be asked for your login credentials - be sure you type in your password accurately as no asterisks etc will show while doing this.

Keep us posted! ;) :D

stockdam

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:28:46 pm

Thanks for replying.........I'm not sure how this all happened. I did have a problem where Zorin would not start and i had to mess around to fix it so maybe I've caused the problem, I think that I changed the Nvidia driver and other things. I could re-install and that would fix it but I wouldn't learn anything by doing that. I should really upgrade to Core

I've just noticed that I'm running version 10 so now I'm not sure if it's Core or Light........I'm thinking it's Core

DISTRIB_ID=Zorin
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=vivid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Zorin 10"

Back to the subject.......

lxpanel is not running but maybe that's because I have Core installed.

Moving the panel from the bottom to the top of the screen and back down didn't fix the problem.

Creating a new user didn't solve the problem. On the tray where I'd expect to see the system icons there was a blank place-holder that said "click to restart applet" .

Doing an upgrade didn't fix it.

I think a re-install may be the next step and this time I may go for Ultimate.

stockdam

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:50:29 pm

I ran a Live version of Zorin and the System tray applet ran fine. I looked at Awn preferences and saw that the applet is Indicator 3.

I rebooted back to may version of Zorin and tried to install the indicator applet:

sudo apt-get install indicator-applet

However it said that I had the most up to date version.

However it is not showing in the Awn Preferences window so why is it missing?

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:00:00 am

I suspect a bug - plus you mentioned nVidia driver - I avoid proprietary drivers on Zorin - you get a much better experience with the 'de facto' GNU/Linux 'nouveau' drivers. ;) :D

Failing that, install Cairo-Dock DE:

download/file.php?id=3356&mode=view

stockdam

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:36:00 pm

Yes it could be anything. I may poke around for a while longer and if I cannot fix it then I'll do a reinstall.

Update.......I re-installed so let's close this thread.