This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

( RESOLVED ) Cant remove Old Kernels

oxo42

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:37:44 pm

I cant remove Old Kernels using Janiter in Ubuntu Tweak / every time I check the box for Old Kernels it shows a list for about 2 seconds and then closes out before I can do anything / I have tried about ten times and the same thing always happens.

It works O.K. on - Apt Cache
- Package Configs
- Uneeded Packages - etc,

I have the latest version of Ubuntu Tweak installed according to Synaptic Package Manager.
This will be the first time that I have tried to remove Old Kernels / so I dont know how long the problem has been there.

I am running O.S. 6.4 LTS / Still in the learning phase with LINUX.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:59:17 pm

Hi, you should really ditch 6.4 after you have backed up all your data:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267#p45749

oxo42

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:40:32 pm

Hi Swarfendor 437
---UPDATE---

I decided to take your suggestion about ditching OS 6.4 and I have installed OS 9.
Because of the lack of system tools for tweaking / and removing old and unwanted rubbish / I still want to use Ubuntu Tweak as I did before / mainly to use Janiter / so I have installed it / but I cant find it / it shows in Synaptic Package Manager as installed and is the latest version but I cant see it any where.

Secondly how do I pin items to the bottem bar (have tried everything )

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:52:37 pm

Hi, to launch Ubuntu-tweak after install open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo ubuntu-tweak

Once launched you should see an icon appear in the panel - right-click this and select - pin to panel/make it a launcher - sorry can't remember term - still not go round to reinstalling 9!

Once you launch a program it appears in the panel - to make it stick, do as above for Ubuntu-tweak. :D

oxo42

Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:40:15 pm

Hi Swarfendor437

Pinned to system tray bottom left / but cant launch by left click or from "Launch Application " in the right click menu.
It will only launch from the Terminal / and when it does / it works allright. but it produces lots of stuff in the Terminal with a WARNING ( see screenshot )

Can I delete Ubuntu Tweak from the downloads folder ? or is it needed to launch programme.

PS:_ I appear to have lost sytem sound ie:- startup / shutdown /can't find a way to get it back.
Thanks.

Screenshot from 2015-11-17 10_45_54.png

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:38:23 pm

Sorry, been a while - find where Ubuntu-tweak is in /usr/share/applications.

Once launched, right-click the applet that appears in the panel and select 'create custom launcher' and in the command line for where it is to run try:

'ubuntu-tweak %U'.

Keep us posted! :D

oxo42

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:50:37 pm

Hi Swarfender

I tried your suggestions but I ended up in mess so I decided on a fresh install.

I need Ubuntu Tweak ( or something similar ) as each time I have used it after a new install and updated software there is 500mb + of stuff that is not needed and can be safely removed / I am using a low spec laptop so the lighter the O.S. is the better.

I have not tweaked the fresh install at the moment until I can get a fail safe way of getting Ubuntu Tweak installed without a foul up or compromise / I have tried suggestions from the net and from UBUNTU TWEAK .com without any success.
I am new to LINUX so most things are new to me / thats why without great forums like ZORIN newcomers would almost certainly give up / which would be a shame.

Awaiting your thoughts.

Thanks

PS: an after thought I had Ubuntu Tweak installed on Zorin O.S. 6.4 and it ran without problems.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:49:52 pm

Hi, if you have a low end Notebook I would go for Zorin Lite instead - I think the newer kernels are getting more demanding in terms of system requirements.

oxo42

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:59:56 pm

Swarfendor437
Hi, For the time being I will stick with OS 9 / bearing in mind that I have just upgraded from OS 6.4. It,s running well at the moment and the speed is no problem to me / unless it get,s really slow then I will have to rethink.

Going back to my original post I want a tool like Ubuntu Tweak to get rid of unwanted stuff safely / there does not appear to be anything like this installed with the system / not that I can see / have you got any suggestions about programes that would be compatable to run in ZORIN OS / I dont want to use Bleachbit if that,s possible.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:50:06 pm

Just had a quick browse - there are other cleaners but not as extensive as Janitor or Bleach Bit - please be patient and I will try and do an Ubuntu tutorial video after I have reinstalled Zorin 9 32-bit on this rig! ;) :D