This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Security in Zorin os 10

lauztuvas

Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:07:40 pm

Hi. All time i was used win os. But now i instaled zorin 10 os 32bit. My system is asus f3ka 2.0hz x2 amd procesor, 2gb ram, 250gb hdd. So why zorin?- i was looking for fast os and more copotible with win programs (need for work these programs). But first topic in this forum and I want to now- need security program or not in zorin? In windows where was bad if i go to web without security program(almost always i was used AVG free edition)- In windows - two days without AVG and computer became so slow like old 90 years old men. So, how is zorin in this point? How web browse and adwavare ?
Thanks, and i am sorry if i posted in bad forum place. Also my english language is terrible. Sorry.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:43:08 pm

Generally speaking you only need an AV piece of software for scanning files before emailing as attachments to windows users! The 'de facto' GNU/Linux one is Clam AV (search for Clam AV and Clam tk in Synaptic Package Manager.

Ensure you apply updates when you receive notifications.

Switch on the firewall (See recent topic here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9886 )

Lastly, always check any tarballed or zipped files BEFORE extracting:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6076&p=28820&hilit=Blackwolf+ubundows8#p28820

As for Browsers use Firefox and keep it up-to-date or if you need to post a screenshot of anything you will need Opera 12.16 - none of the alternative browsers allow this (and it is not just Zorin that is affected by this issue!)

lauztuvas

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:36:20 pm

Thanks a lot.
I always up ****** my system, then it is imposible. Abouth Wine. Here i can ask or creat another topic?

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:45:19 pm

Please create a new topic in this section. ;) :D