This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Are you running UBUNTU-TWEAK ??

oxo42

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:43:54 pm

Hi All

I am having trouble getting Ubuntu-Tweak installed it doesn,t seem to be compatable.
If you have it installed and running O.K. please let me know.

Please indicate what OS you are using 8 / 9 /or 10.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:33:37 pm

Zorin 8 should definitely not be being used by anyone as all security updates etc are no longer being provided! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:40:29 pm

OK, got Ubuntu Tweak installed and running but had a few issues (think the hard drive could be failing for one! It is a 'recycled' drive from youngster's old machine). I also managed to place on desktop and on panel:

34.jpg

I did get som red circles with a white line through them in Janitor but choosing each part of the system and authenticating got rid of a lot of stuff - eventually! :D

Zorin 9 Ultimate 32-bit

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:32:09 am

UPDATE!

Well looks like I lost my launchers on reboot this a.m. so started again and something has changed dramatically on the desktop in respect of the Panel and 'Launchers':

26.jpg

and also DocBarX disappeared but I now have Task Manager!:

39.jpg

And I have the Weather Applet working after adding it to the panel:

33.jpg

;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:22:27 pm

OK, on second boot, panel icons for Ubuntu Tweak and Opera missing, re-added and created new item in 'Preferences' of Menu Editor:

30.png

Had to search for the icon and found it - see screenshot below:

17.jpg

Please note that I have moved Ubuntu Tweak further up the preferences sub menu to be alphabetically correct from the above screenshot! ;) :D

oxo42

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:52:30 pm

Swarfendor437

Hi / Would it be fair to say that you had problems installing.
What source did you get it from.
Can you give me stage by stage how you installed it.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:03:25 pm

Hi,

1. Open Terminal and install 'gdebi' first (Menu | Accessories | Terminal):

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

2. Go to 'http://ubuntu-tweak.com' and download the prominent link for 0.8.7

3. Once downloaded, right-click and select 'Open with other application' - gdebi should show up, if not, open gdebi from either terminal or Menu and navigate to where you downloaded the .deb file and install.

4. If terminal open, enter:

Code:
ubuntu-tweak

It should launch and create the icon on the panel.

Then to create the launcher, see my screenshots in the post/s above yours. ;) :D

oxo42

Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:23:05 pm

Swarfendor437

Hi / The reason I had so much trouble before was that I did not start off by entering "gdebit " into the terminal / nothing I looked at when trying to get it installed suggested this ( big learning curve ).

I have managed to get it installed ( thanks to your instructions )
I pinned it to the AWN panel / it launches and works O.K. from there, but it does not show up in preferences or on the system when I search.
If I right click Ubuntu Icon in the AWN panel / the only useful choices I have are " launch application " and " unpin application " which dont help.
Can only assume the answer is in "dock preferences " but I am far from sure / I dont want to mess the system up now I,ve got this far. I await your help.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:35:55 pm

Hi,

To add to the Menu, right-click the 'Z' and select 'edit' - then add 'new item' - you get something like custom launcher appear - add 'ubuntu-tweak' in the 'command' part of the app and 'Ubuntu Tweak' in the 'Name' bit. Then move it up in the 'Preferences' (which I forgot is where I added it to).

I did have some hit and miss with Ubuntu Tweak but that I suspect is because I did all of this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795#p48982

Keep us posted! ;) :D

oxo42

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:06:17 pm

Swarfendor437

Hi Almost there but not quite / as you can see in screenshot there is no "PREFERENCES" in the list. Ubuntu-Tweak does show up in the first Menu list / the one that is headed by Accesories see screenshot.

I am not to concerned with the way it is but it would be nice to have it runnung correctly.

THANKS.

Screenshot from 2015-11-24 12_11_58.png

Screenshot from 2015-11-24 12_55_01.png

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:02:36 pm

Hi, 'Preferences' is a 'sub-directory' of 'System Tools' ;) :D