This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Video Driver Question

mdiemer

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:47:25 am

I have just reinstalled a fresh Zorin Core 9 (and how nice to have it back!). The one problem I have had with Z9 on this machine is occasional shut-downs. I click on something (no, not that - just a simple thing, like a topic on a forum), and my computer just turns off. My current theory is that it has to do with video. I ran Driver Update and chose the latest Nvidia driver. I'll have to see of this stops it. But my question is, is that the best driver option? As opposed to the Nouveau? That was the default, but it probably needed an update itself. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to go about that. In the meantime, I'll do some searching for nouveau online and see what I come up with.

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:03:46 am

mdiemer

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:17:43 am

Found some stuff on the Mint forum, advising to go back to the 304 Nvidia driver, vs. the 340. So far Zorin running superbly on that driver. It also solved another problem, namely not waking up from sleep. Life is good!

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:03:48 am

Glad to hear - can this thread be [CLOSED] now? ;) :D

mdiemer

Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:31:58 pm

Maybe keep it open a bit longer? I'm not certain the problem is really solved. I'll know if it crashes. how about we give it another week?

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:44:00 pm

No problem friend. ;)