This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 10 32bit cant to login

lauztuvas

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:21:50 am

Hi, i have instaled zorin 10 on my laptop asus f3ka (2.0hz x2 2gb ram) Everythink was fine abouth week. Almost. Yesterday i was trying to instal google skech up. Instaliation was good. But after starting aplication(with wine) it stop working - beacame balck and not responding. So i find out that is need Opengl for this aplication. So i trayed to instal it, but then i find out tthat need grafick card drivers (my AMD radeon HD2600 integred). So i tryed to istall . It was all good untill i need to reboot. After reboot i got a login screen with two users :ADMIN and Guest. Admin need pasword. then i type pasword it trying to login but goes black screen and after few seconds i got back in login screen. If i type wrong pasword ,came mesage that pasword is bad. On Guest no pasword but after pushing it i got blach screen and come back login screen.
So,i was used google i tryed to repair this but not sucseed. That was system repair packages repair, some comands is terminal....
Can some one to support with this problem? It is imposible to repair or help only new fresh instalation?
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:08:56 am

OK, first off, before attempting to install any Windows application, search to see if anyone has got it installed successfully or whether it will run or otherwise. If you have any data that you need to recover I would use your boot media (DVD or USB?) to run Zorin in Live mode then mount your '/home' partition, open your /home folder and press 'Ctrl+ H' to show all hidden files - select all and copy to separate backup medium - other USB or external hard drive if you have one.

Are you dual-booting or is Zorin the only OS on the machine? As for graphics drivers I would stay clear of the fglrx ones - the default nouveau drivers are better than Proprietary if you want to avoid problems. ;) :D

Before advise can be given on reinstall we need more information about your hard drive partitions.

lauztuvas

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:25:10 pm

Ihave dual boot. Zorin and another boot windows 10. Windows hdd part is ntfs . Zorin is on exn4 or ... i realy dont know how true name is this format. Then i was instaling zorin, instalation guide say that this format is beter for zorin.
Some more information. My windows is forking :D . In windows i see 3 hhd disk. All is in ntfs format. Linux system hdd i dont see in windows. But have abouth gb place.
I started from usb flash zorin.So my format is ext3/ext4.
I am googling ... I tryed ctrl+alt+f1 . goes mesage " zorin 10 as-f3Ka tty3as-F3Ka login: " here i type admin name - "as" and push enter. it goes new mesage - "Password: " but here i cant write pasword here. Cursor "_" is flaching.
I write everything what i see. Meaby it helps to findout my problems.

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:17:24 pm

OK, so you have Windows 10 this is what you will have (roughly).

1. First partition of about 300 Mb (Win 10 Recovery) (System)
2. Second partition with C:\ (Primary)
3. 500 Mb or less (Win 10 second recovery Partition)

First off you need to boot into windows (I hope you can do that!) and do the following:

1. Use File Explorer to get to 'Computer' (C:\ drive) - right-click 'C:' drive and select 'Manage' - this will open the various Management Tools - you want 'Disk Management'. If you have not had Win 10 on for long time, then no need to run chkdsk or defrag - but select 'shrink volume' - this is to make room for Zorin.

2. Download Easy BCD for Windows by NeoSmart Technologies from here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS- ... yBCD.shtml

3. In the space that is left between the new shrunken C: partition and the tail end 'Recovery' partition, create an 'Extended Partition' but don't format it.

4. Boot with your USB to install Zorin - boot into the 'Try Zorin' choice and when the 'live' desktop appears, select the 'install to HD' option. When it asks how you want to install, select the last available option - 'something else' - it will launch the partition editor and this is what you will need to create:

1. a '/boot' partition of 512 Mib and formatted to 'ext4' (this is where you will place the 'bootloader' for Zorin - GRUB
2. a '/' partition of 30720 Mib (30 Gb) for the Zorin system partition ('root' file system)
3. at the END of the extended partition, now create a 4096 Mb 'swap area'
4. With the space that is left between '/' and 'swap area' create '/home'.

5. Make sure that the bootloader is located in '/boot' partition before commencing with the installation procedure - DO NOT attempt to encrypt your '/home' folder during installation and DO NOT leave your computer named with 'hyphens' i.e., '-' (or dashes between words - make it one complete wordandnumbers!

6. After installation is complete, reboot into Windows and install Easy BCD - follow my video tutorial here:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

but instead of choosing '/' you will need to choose '/boot' partition - easily recognisable by its size - this will be the ONLY difference to what is shown in the video as the video is in respect of dual booting with Windows 7 - somewhat easier! ;) :D

lauztuvas

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:56:18 pm

Good guide. Some more information. In my system there no recovery or other disk. HDD i formated 7years ago in 3 parts. First part abouth 20gb was for win xp. But were was problems with drivers. Second part was abouth 60gb for win 7. So, abouth 6years I was using win 7. One month ago win 7 I change to win 10. But i dont got, what i want. So, i down load zorin and instaled in third part of hdd which have abouth 150gb. So at now i have 4 parts of hdd. That is all story of my computer. But no recovery in my system. If i was reinstaled windows, I used quick format for this part of hdd.

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:27:51 pm

So are you wanting complete replacement to Windows? ;) :D

lauztuvas

Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:34:31 am

I am thinking. Realy, if browse in internet - zorin better. No virus program or any think for security. It is big + for zorin. It is faster then win 7 or win 10 on my computer. But I have some programs which is need for me: arcview 3.2, corel draw 3.0. , ans another two programs, working on Visual Basic librally. One of those programs are requiring microsoft exel program. So.. it is difficult.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:19:59 am

Hi, PlayOnLinux will allow you to install MS Office to 2010 - but the provided LibreOffice should allow you to save in MS format and also set as default (.xlsx):

24.png

Development tools available in PlayOnLinux:

14.png

As for Corel Draw you could try a trial version of Cross-Over:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... reldraw-x3

They offer a free trial for 14 days.

I'm afraid only VB Script is supported in GNU/Linux by the look of things:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... cript-only

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30:04 pm

Forgot to mention that you would be better running Zorin 9 32-bit as Zorin 10 will no longer be supported after January 2016! Then migrate to Zorin 11 which will be LTS, hopefully out in Summer of next year that will last 'til 2022! ;) :D

lauztuvas

Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:49:06 pm

So, I download a zorin 9 32bit core. Instaled , dont follow your guide becauce i want to try install programs which need for me. I only try to find out what will be work on zirin. So first rezults is not bad. Arcview 3.2 is working ( one error are but no problem for program work) . Program, which need Visual Fox Pro, also is working. Another program , which want to use microsoft exel ( i instaled exel and it are working) is works firne but cant find exel ( program autimatically trying to find exel but cant. On windows if exel is instaled, no problems. All goes automatically. ). And, last program , corel draw x3 is not works. I cant to install it. Setup intalizing but no rezult. So my rezults for today.. Meaby some advise.. Corel draw is not so big problem. It is imposible to replace it with another aplication.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:39:07 pm

If you installed Office (or just 'Excel') then it will be in your 'Wine | Programs' folder - it will not readily show up in the Zorin Menu but you should be able to create some shortcuts I guess if you right-click your 'Z' and select 'Edit' then make sure that 'wine' is in the left pane, in the right-pane expand 'Programs' and see if you can see Office/Excel there.

As for Graphics package, depends what you want to do - my two favourites are GIMP and InkScape. ;) :D

lauztuvas

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11:22 am

About grafick work in short. I am forester. I work in private forest. My work is to create forest plan. So i took a picture (plan of privately-owned document), also took another document from foresters plans, and make plan in one picture. Its simple. From two copys (pictures) i make one picture.
Why corel draw? 7 years ago one techer show, how to work on corel draw. And that all.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:01:24 pm

Most graphics packages allow you to 'merge' one graphic with another using 'layers' - just getting to try this for first time but don't spend an awful lot of time on graphics in this manner. Each package has different pluses and different types of image manipulation - Inkscape is more for drawing 'scaled vector graphics' (.svg) ;) :D

lauztuvas

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:09:35 am

Yes, you are right. I play a little in yesterday on gimp. Everthing is different. So, its need to learn. So, you are working on Gimp? Swarfendor437?
1.Gimp can calculate area of figure? If I draw polygon with a lot of corners and curves line- it can to calculape area of this figure?
If i good understand you, it is imposible to merge layers.
2. Like i said in another post, I bring picture, scaned picture, put it in corel draw. Then I draw lines on it (only which is need for me). After all, I delete orginal from my work area. My drawed lines, points stays in work are. It is imposible in gimp
3. I draw a poligone. It is imposible to colour?
Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19:12 pm

lauztuvas wrote:Yes, you are right. I play a little in yesterday on gimp. Everthing is different. So, its need to learn. So, you are working on Gimp? Swarfendor437?
1.Gimp can calculate area of figure? If I draw polygon with a lot of corners and curves line- it can to calculape area of this figure?
If i good understand you, it is imposible to merge layers.
2. Like i said in another post, I bring picture, scaned picture, put it in corel draw. Then I draw lines on it (only which is need for me). After all, I delete orginal from my work area. My drawed lines, points stays in work are. It is imposible in gimp
3. I draw a poligone. It is imposible to colour?
Thanks.

In that case you need Inkscape! For example, if I have a world map that is simply shades of grey with no defined outline, I can use Inkscape to trace the outlines then remove the grey (I have to do this in producing tactile graphics for students who cannot see or have limited vision). Inkscape also lets you do different types of polygone - you just enter the number of sides you want - it is extremely versatile. It does have some bugs but I can live with them.

Picture to follow - in Firefox as I post this.

31.jpg

lauztuvas

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:46:02 pm

Hi ,Swarfendor437 you good man, and always help for my. At now i have a lof of work, so my computer is in 4 boots systems. And i dont have a time, to do by your guide.
But this is not bad- I as trying zorin. I am working on it, but if realy need some programs (which i was referred in earlys posts), I booting windows.
I dont using antivirus software in zorin, i my os is still a live :)), But i litle slower like was. Or meaby it looks like.