This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Authenticator

TooBad

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:30:28 pm

Just installed this and tried to update. Wanted password. Put right one in, the one I used in during the install. Is there another one that is only 5 characters long?

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:44:52 pm

Just installed what exactly? I think you may mean 'downloaded' and now asking for authentication - have you made sure that caps lock is off or alternatively did you have caps lock on when you created the password (I've done it myself in the past - the last one!) ;) :D

TooBad

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:21:20 am

Yes it asked for a password during the install. Mine was 14 characters long and when I try to download updates it asks for a password. I found where I can change passwprd in user accounts. The one that is dotted out is only 5 long. And yes I being trying the right password.
Not sure what to do now. Was locked out, luckily I hit the start button on computer. I had the password turned off to login.

TooBad

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24:27 am

I installed Zorin OS 9 64 bit.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:15:55 am

TooBad wrote:Yes it asked for a password during the install. Mine was 14 characters long and when I try to download updates it asks for a password. I found where I can change passwprd in user accounts. The one that is dotted out is only 5 long. And yes I being trying the right password.
Not sure what to do now. Was locked out, luckily I hit the start button on computer. I had the password turned off to login.

This is where most people come unstuck - always set up a password for login as you will need it to elevate you to 'root' (administrator). The password, regardless of how long it is always gets scrambled as 5 digits long for security purposes. ;) :D (I know because I have a 16 digit password!:

13.png