This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

xfce4-mixer + panel volume control

andoru

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:24:27 pm

So I prefer using xfce's own audio mixer instead of pulse and alsa's default ones, but I can't seem to be able to launch it from the panel menu (right-clicking on the volume control icon on the panel and selecting "Volume Control Settings"), instead it complains that it can't find an application to configure the sound...
Is there any way to fix this issue?

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:06:43 pm

Hi, you have to be careful with Zorin and mixing with XFCE (I did do this with 6 once and eventually broke the system I think - or decided to reinstall the standard OS). In the meantime, please see this 'Debian' thread:

http://ask.debian.net/questions/lightwe ... xfce-lenny

andoru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:25:41 pm

Sorry, but, what does that thread have to do with xfce4-mixer? :P

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:21:42 pm

I thought you may need some apps for it to work with like xmms2 ;) :D

andoru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:43:02 pm

I didn't even mention anything about xmms2... did you read the first post?

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:53:49 pm

Yes I did - I thought there might be a missing file that might be present in one of the audio packages like a codec or other setting - a bit like VLC usually installs all required codecs if not present. :D

andoru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:02:04 pm

I don't know what you've read, but I said nothing about codecs or missing packages. My problem is the following:
I installed xfce4-mixer, but the volume control on LXPanel does not detect it, as it complains there is no audio control app installed.
xfce4-mixer is a GUI audio volume control app in the same vein as pavucontrol and alsamixer, and I use it extensively on my Debian setup since it's robust and works well. It is NOT a media/audio player, nor a codec.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:07:18 pm

OK, just had a look at the description:

"DESCRIPTION
xfce4-mixer is a volume control application for the Xfce Desktop
Environment. This software package contains both a volume control
plugin for the Xfce Panel and a standalone mixer application. You
should be able to run the latter from the menu system."

I am wondering if the 'volume' control on the panel is the one which came with Zorin Lite and is not being overwritten by xfce4-mixer due to protection of system settings in Zorin?

I would advise you PM AZorin on this issue. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:11:00 pm

Did you also install the volume daemon?

18.jpg

andoru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:11:31 pm

Will do. Thanks.

EDIT: About the daemon - I didn't install it, and I won't either, as it has pulseaudio as a dependency, which I certainly don't want to install.

andoru

Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:32:12 am

Contacted AZorin, but so far haven't gotten any reply from her/him. Is she/he busy at this time of the year?

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:38:36 am

They do have other projects - I would go through official channels via the 'contact' link here:

http://zorinos.com/contacts.html

and click on his email link on the right (lead developer).

andoru

Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:45:12 pm

Thanks, will use that in a few days as to not annoy her/him :P