This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Input device preferences / LXSession defaults not being set

andoru

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:47:18 pm

It seems that the above mentioned settings are not applied/saved at all when I change them. If I push the slider around to different values in the keyboard/mouse repeat/acceleration preferences they aren't applied at all, typing in the text box below still shows keys being repeated at the same default speed, while in the default applications configuration window, I can't seem to select default actions to be tied to applications that I compiled, or stuff that I installed from outside the repos.
Is this a permission issue? If I need to run those configuration apps as root, could anyone let me know what are the names of the executables?

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:17:45 pm

Have you followed Wolfman's excellent post-install guide?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

;) :D

andoru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:22:52 pm

No, but I went through it and found nothing of use to solve my problem except for the keyboard layout settings.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:27:37 pm

OK, have you done a full system update since installing? I am not using Lite at present - had some issues on this rig with it so went back to Core. I could only find something about composite manager on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtAHpGS60O8

whether it would help not sure. ;) :D

andoru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:35:35 pm

No, I didn't ask for any help on compositing... (I've already set up compton with the same settings as on my Debian/CrunchBang setup), I'm having problems with the keyboard/mouse acceleration settings and with the default apps used for certain files.
Also, another issue I'm having is adding apps or custom launchers/commands to the Gnome menu (for example, I got a custom compiled Firefox version that I regularly update, and it sits in ~/bin/ and I would like to add a launcher for it to the gnome menu and desktop)

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:39:39 pm

OK, can you provide us with make and model of both peripherals? ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:57:42 pm

unlock test

andoru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:08:08 pm

What does the make of the keyboard and mouse have to do with this...? It's the "Input Device Preferences" thing from the settings that's not working...
But okay, in the case I'm off and you might have a solution: they're just standard A4Tech keyboard and mouse, KR-85 for the keyboard and OP-530NU for the mouse.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:19:15 pm

OK, Im a bit off target today - been looking after the eldest who is not well - perhaps I have caught a virus and not the PC! LOL!

Just to rewind a little - how did you download, check md5sum, burn/usb, install Zorin Lite?

andoru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31:21 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, Im a bit off target today - been looking after the eldest who is not well - perhaps I have caught a virus and not the PC! LOL!

Sorry to hear you and your relative got sick, hope you two get better :)

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just to rewind a little - how did you download, check md5sum, burn/usb, install Zorin Lite?

Unfortunately I was in a rush (due to previous failed attempts to write the Zorin 10 Lite iso first with Win32Imager, which didn't work, then with UnetBootin which couldn't finish due to the lack of space so I had to do it again with the 9 Lite iso instead, so I wasted a lot of time and it was getting late) , so I didn't get to check the hash of the download. I got the ISO from the official site (or rather SourceForge), and I made a bootable pendrive with UNetbootin. I installed Zorin OS directly, without entering the live session.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:36:55 pm

OK, always best not to rush these things! From personal experience I have always had an issue with running the installer directly - better to install from the live desktop for least problems. If you have another GNU/Linux system I highly recommend you give MultiSystem a try:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

If downloading to Windows I always use winmd5free from http://winmd5.com

In a terminal on GNU/Linux and navigated to the folder where the .iso resides:

Code:
md5sum zorin-os-9-lite-32.iso

;) :D