This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Steam on Zorin OS 10 Core

OfficialDellacry

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:17:56 pm

Hello,

I am trying to run Steam on Zorin OS 10 Core and when i launch it from the menu or the desktop shortcut nothing happens but when i do 'steam' in terminal i get the following, then it hangs:

officialdellacry@TARDIS:~$ steam
Running Steam on zorin 10 32-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1447125378)

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30:12 pm

Please check out this thread (Zorin 10 is based on Ubuntu 15.04 - please be aware that it will be end of life at end January 2016 - you might have better luck on Zorin 9 - supported til April 2019):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2275526

7vincent7black7

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:32:49 pm

It confuses me why this new version of Zorin is going to be supported for a much shorter period than the old version. If this is the new edition which they intend to base zorin 11 or whatever off of, why is this one only going to be supported for a year, and zorin 9 for another 4 years? I own the ultimate versions of both zorin 9 and 10, and they are not expensive, but I am curious about the reasoning behind this.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:33:09 pm

Hi, that is a question for the Devs - Wolfman did provide a guide on how to move up to the next release without (hopefully) not losing anything of your previous install - I personally prefer to do a backup of my /home folder with all hidden files, and do a fresh install. Ubuntu uses development release cycles as well as LTS which can vary between 9 to 15 months and the ones nearest the next LTS release are likely to be incorporated into the next LTS - to be fair to Zorin they do state on their downoad option links - short-term support and Long Term Support:

http://zorinos.com/download.html

Hope this answers your question - if not PM the devs AZorin and/or zorink. ;) :D

It also helps when community members provide feedback on issues they have been experiencing - which is where Feedback threads on this forum come into play.