This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

making a digital file by scanning

Jesse

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:22:21 pm

How can I use my HP PSC 750 printer to scan a document and make a file I can send electronically?

Is there a program in Zorin already for that or would I have to download a driver?

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:06:08 am

What exactly are you wanting to scan and in what format are you wanting the document?

Jesse

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:56:03 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:What exactly are you wanting to scan and in what format are you wanting the document?

I want to scan a letter with a sketch on it on my HP PSC 750, make a digital file, then attach it to an Email.

Does Zorin have that tool already or do I need to download a program?

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29:55 pm

Hi, If I understand you correctly you are wanting to use the 'Digital Send' function that would be normally present under Windows - this will not be available and as in other areas this is down to the hardware manufacturer not providing such software that is compatible with GNU/Linux - remember all 'Branded' products use 'proprietary' software which is geared to Windows (/Mac) - we get the lowest possible denominator as GNU/Linux users - which is not a fault of GNU/Linux.

You need to download the full HPLip application and Toolbox - see this page for download link:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... c_750.html

The only solution would be to scan the document and save the captured image and then attach to email in the usual way - launch your preferred mail client, attach file etc.

Hope this makes things clearer! ;) :D

[Footnote: Zorin 9 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 so your device is supported to run under GNU/Linux - but not necessarily as you want it to!]

Jesse

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:42:08 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hope this makes things clearer!

I got the file downloaded and was progressing nicely though the setup and install procedures in Terminal then I get "Please enter the root/supervisor password." My password didn't work:

"Insufficient permissions(i.e. try with sudo user). Exiting."

I don't remember setting up a different password for root/supervisor. How do I find out what the "root/supervisor" password is?

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:04:04 pm

Make sure you are not connected to the internet when running as root - open a terminal and enter:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

You will be asked for your login password.

Next open a new terminal window and progress with your install. ;) :D

Jesse

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:58:48 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Make sure you are not connected to the internet when running as root - open a terminal and enter:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

You will be asked for your login password.

Next open a new terminal window and progress with your install. ;) :D

I don't remember setting up a "root/supervisor" password when I installed Zorin and my password doesn't work. So what are you saying exactly? I need a work around now through a back door to install a program?

Is there a command I can use in Terminal to set a new "root/supervisor" password or find out what the current one is?

I get this when using "gksudo nautilus"

ash@Clientpro-385:~$ gksudo nautilus
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:08:15 pm

I'm wondering if you have a corrupt install or some missing packages - what happens if you open Synaptic Package Manager (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager) and check on the menu | Edit | Fix broken packages?

Did you download from the link given from the Zorin website? Did you use any Download Accelerator Managers when downloading? This can corrupt the image. Also Firefox offers the best stable iso download. What program did you use to burn the image or was it a USB Memory stick you used to install? Did you install directly or from the live desktop - I always find the latter works best, and then choose custom install. ;) :D

Jesse

Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:42:02 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I'm wondering if you have a corrupt install or some missing packages - what happens if you open Synaptic Package Manager (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager) and check on the menu | Edit | Fix broken packages?

Almost immediately I get a message at the bottom of the screen: "Successfully fixed dependency problems"

But then when I try to automatically install "hplip-3.15.11.run" I'm still asked for a "root/supervisor" password.

Did you download from the link given from the Zorin website?

I bought the Zorin CD. Is there anyone here who is familiar with the mystery of this root password? Can I reset that password or find out what the current one is? The install seems to go well until I hit this roadblock.

I notice on these instructions at: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html

The window is titled "~ - Shell - Konsole." Is that different than "Terminal"?

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:31:04 am

Hi, Konsole is the KDE (Konqueror Desktop Environment) equivalent of 'Terminal'. Most KDE apps are usually prefixed with the letter 'K' to indicate what desktop it is used for. There is no 'root' password in Zorin as such in the same way that there is no 'Administrator' password in Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. The command in a Terminal in Zorin of:

Code:
gksudo nautlus

should give you root permissions PROVIDED you don't have password login disabled! If you set Zorin to 'autologin' then that could be the issue?

For HP printing install, please refer to Wolfman's excellent post install guide and the section on Printers/Printer installation.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785

Jesse

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:30:19 pm

Well, it had nothing to do with the root password.

Wolfman's instructions on marking for download in "Synaptic Package Manager" the HPLIP Toolbox was all that was necessary. Then, opening up the "HPLIP Toolbox" window in "System Tools/Preferences" had a "Scan" option which was self evident and user friendly.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:07:22 am

So this can now be marked as [SOLVED] ? :D