This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Audio Lost after Software Update

mojolinux

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:46:24 pm

Why have I lost perfectly functioning audio on my Zorin9.0 system after merely applying the latest Software Update?
I believe this last Software Update included a kernel update as well since I had to Re Start my computer afterwards .
How can I regain my previously working Audio functionality?

mdiemer

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:02:10 pm

I'm assuming you have gone into the Sound program in System Settings, and made sure your audio interface is the one selected? Beyond that, you're going to need more help - I'm not much more than a noobie. (But I'm trying to help out where I can).

mojolinux

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:32:49 pm

Correct assumption.
Analog Audio (as opposed to Digital Audio) *is* selected as before. Now NO audio, or buzzing sound when it is "tested".
Audio worked with NO problem prior to Software Update.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:08:07 pm

When you see the GRUB boot menu - choose the 2nd Option from the menu and choose the earlier kernel to boot into - if this is the issue, will guide at some point how to remove the kernel release. ;) :D

mojolinux

Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:24:14 pm

Thanks Swarfendor

I used Grub to select the previous kernel (3.13.0-68) as you suggested, instead of the *new* current kernel (3.13.0-71) and audio was GOOD in this previous kernel!!
Strangely, after Re Starting and booting yet again into the *new* default kernel (3.13.0-71) the audio is *NOW* Working!!
I have NO idea why this is so? A Bug of some sort I guess?

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:18:35 pm

No idea on that my friend - please remember that kernel releases will affect all variants of GNU/Linux, not just Zorin! :) :D

I will 'close' this thread. :D