This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Gaming with Zorin?

voodoo169

Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:58:36 pm

So I am seriously debating on getting Zorin as my OS for my new computer build. I like the simplicity compared to Windows, and it seems a lot easier to use while maintaining the 'always developing' side of it.

Now this new build will be a gaming computer with an MSI R9 380 and an i5 4690k CPU, and plenty of RAM. In all hardware should not be an issue running games on it if I went with Windows 7 or something, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience running higher class games on Zorin. As much to my knowledge, Zorin is based off of the Ubuntu system, which is Linux, and I know Steam has a Linux version, but I haven't really seen games developed for Linux.

So I guess my two questions are, how well can a machine with Zorin (or Linux for that matter) run higher end games? How well can Windows games be played on Linux with WINE?

Thank you for any help you have given and I hope I don't look too dumb with this. Cheers.

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:06:20 pm

I can't remember if Core Zorin comes with Steam or only Ultimate version - once you have logged in to Steam you should see what is available.

As for high end games on Zorin using wine check out this link:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility