This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 10 | Odd Audio Problem

Fonder

Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:13:42 am

Hello,
So this is a pretty odd problem of mine (and I have no idea why this is), but for whatever reason, Zorin doesn't seem to like my headphones. After recently updating Zorin and restarting (I can't remember which version it updated to exactly, it might be 3.19.0-37? Or something similar....), I had plugged in my headphones to listen to something, like always, and I suddenly noticed my headphones weren't playing any sound. At first I thought it was a weird error with my internet browser, since that's what I was using, so I closed my internet browser completely and started it up again and went back to the page to try listening again and no surprise, no sound. Then I assumed that maybe there was something wrong with the settings, so I checked all my sound settings (even going into AlsaMixer with the terminal) and everything seemed fine. At that point, I thought maybe my headphones had broke, since they're pretty old; but after plugging my headphones into a different device and playing sound, my headphones worked fine. I tried playing sound through my speakers and it came out totally fine.

So, at this point, the only thing I can ask is, does anyone have any guess as to why Zorin won't play sound through my headphones?
Is it possible that maybe I need to update Alsa in some form?

Also, this is actually off-topic but if anyone willing to answer it, I would appreciate it:
How would you go about re-installing Alsa on Zorin/Linux? (I am aware this is not necessary since Alsa is already installed into Zorin/Linux, but it's out of curiosity.)

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:09:18 pm

First off, just be mindful that support for Zorin 10 finishes end January 2016! I would drop back to 9 which is supported until April 2017. Hopefully the next LTS will be Zorin 11 which hopefully should be out in Summer of 2016 (5 year support) ;) :D

Back to the headphone issue - Zorin uses Pulse Audio not ALSA - have you checked Sound Settings | Source ?

Another member has reported audio issues after a kernel update but a day later and things are back to normal! ;) :D