This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to make this partition operational

pcfan5

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:22:58 am

Hello, I have discovered something most of you must already know, but maybe some others don't and this could help. :idea:

I'm under ZorinOS Lite 12.3, I have a separate partition in my hard disk where all my data is saved , but I didn't want to mount in in "/home", so in case I need to format, and make a clean install I could without the preoccupation about the "configurations in home".

This is the partition
Code:
/dev/sda3
, mounted in
Code:
/media/estudiosil/Datos

And this is the thread were I asked and solved how to mount it.
Code:
[url]https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14029[/url]

However and despite all my efforts, I experienced two problems.

1st-
I couldn't copy files from desktop or other folder to "/Datos" , the only way I had to do it, was by opening "terminal" and writing
Code:
gksudo thunar
(it asks for you password to give you privileges as root). There is another option
Code:
gksudo &thunar
but it asks twice for your involvement (one for entering they password , the other for entering the name of the file browser "thunar" again. But then the graphic view of the file browser isn't as "complete" as the the one I have with the "standard" opening way.

2nd- I couldn't create a Virtual Disk (.vdi) -"Virtualbox" - and store it in this partition. Take into account, that is where all of the big stuffs goes, since the system partition mounted in "/" is just big enough for the OS and its programs.

I thought about permissions, and realized I could fix it by doing this ( I hope this could be helpful for others):

Opened the file browser "thunar" like this
Code:
gksudo &thunar
, then went to the partition where your data is contained ,in my case it is like this
Code:
  /media/<username>/Datos

I went to <username> folder but didn't open it , just gave right click and selected the 3rd tab "properties", I changed every permission from "only read" to "read and write", in every changed I had to wait, (don't close the dialogue box neither the advise at the bottom of the window!)

Captura de pantalla_2018-08-29_23-25-22.png

Some advises were shown, regarding the procedure "not being able to apply the permission in xx file, bla bla bla", I just pressed "omit" - "yes" and the process continued. The "owner" of the folder is root ( I will explain about this ahead*) as the group user is the one you see in the picture "<userrname>". Please forgive my screenshots are in Spanish, as my system is, but this mustn't be a problem since you can compare visually and I am explaining here. (patience please)

Captura de pantalla_2018-08-29_21-31-41.png

Now I am able to copy and paste files and to create the virtual machine disk (.vdi), from "Virtualbox" without trouble , in this partition ! :mrgreen:

*Regarding groups in Zorin Lite you go to Users&Groups (this option came as default in this version, In Core 12.3 Version you have to install it) there you add your username into root group, and I don't know why or who I have a group called as my own username, and I am add into it (if I did it and don't remember or if it unnecessary , forgive me and explain).

grupos.png

groupusername.png

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38:39 am

pcfan5

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:44:22 am

Thanks my friend but this video is regarding an NTSF partition, and windows users. I come to watch this again because I am having issues with this partition again, I would like to make a question, please forgive me if this is not the right site to make it, and tell me if opening a new topic is needed since here we are in "how tos".

Well, apologizing in advanced this is the problem I have: Whenever I need to pic a file form an Internet browser from this partition ("Data" which contains all my documents , music , etc and it isn't mounted in /home on purpose) or also whenever I need to download a file to it , I got notifications telling " I don't have permissions " and things like that. Here are the pics with the errors while trying to save.

trying to save a file error.png

trying to save a file in a different directory error.png
trying to save a file in a different directory error.png (11.04 KiB)

Here is some information: I don't know if it is the right to understand the problem.

Code:
sudo lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop1    7:1    0 141,3M  1 loop /snap/skype/51
loop11   7:11   0 239,3M  1 loop /snap/gog-galaxy-wine/46
loop8    7:8    0  42,1M  1 loop /snap/gtk-common-themes/701
loop6    7:6    0 194,5M  1 loop /snap/firefox/124
loop4    7:4    0 195,2M  1 loop /snap/vlc/555
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom 
loop2    7:2    0 101,9M  1 loop /snap/whatsdesk/5
loop0    7:0    0   198M  1 loop /snap/vlc/365
loop12   7:12   0  87,9M  1 loop /snap/core/5328
loop9    7:9    0 194,9M  1 loop /snap/firefox/118
loop10   7:10   0 477,9M  1 loop /snap/libreoffice/80
sda      8:0    0 298,1G  0 disk
├─sda2   8:2    0    23G  0 part /
├─sda5   8:5    0     4G  0 part [SWAP]
├─sda3   8:3    0 271,1G  0 part /media/estudiosil/Datos
└─sda1   8:1    0     1M  0 part
loop7    7:7    0  98,6M  1 loop /snap/audacity/15
loop5    7:5    0    87M  1 loop /snap/core/5145
loop3    7:3    0   138M  1 loop /snap/skype/54

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:42:28 pm

As you have been working extremely hard on the unofficial Spanish Manual I will let you off! ;)

Take a look here:

https://itsfoss.com/set-write-permissio ... ntu-linux/

pcfan5

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48:49 pm

Great tutorial, I will follow it and then let you know. Thank you!

I don't understand what all these "loop" means

I think I found the answer here :https://askubuntu.com/questions/1056645/what-are-the-dev-loop-services-that-started-on-boot However I don't know how I installed those "snaps" could they be through the system updater manager?

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32:57 am

I think they are transition packages. The next major release of Zorin will be flatpak and snap ready

https://www.flatpak.org/

https://snapcraft.io/

pcfan5

Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:01:02 pm

I am thinking in mounting this partition as /home, since them couldn't get it to work, maybe there is a problem in the user name or the Folder name inside the partition. I got my ZorinOS a bit broken now, since I thouched everything I could savagely.
Right now I cannot give it a mount moint from the system itself, and part of my desktop got messed up, all due to my own falt ;)

Update: I was able to recover my System thru a Redobackup I have store ;) Now hands to the business again After doing:
Code:
sudo chgrp adm /media/<user name>/Datos/755bc4b6-9755bc4b6-9ba8-4b12-8bcc-0066b2a45f5bba8-4b12-8bcc-0066b2a45f5b
The file or directory doesn't exist.

I tried
Code:
sudo chmod g+w /media/estudiosil/Datos/755bc4b6-9ba8-4b12-8bcc-0066b2a45f5b
chmod
: It cannot access to '/media/estudiosil/Datos/755bc4b6-9ba8-4b12-8bcc-0066b2a45f5b': The file or directory doesn't exist.

PS: the problem regarding uploading or saving files from Internet Browser is only with Mozilla Firefox , I don't have that problem with Chromium

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:00:58 pm

Were any folders encrypted? ;)

pcfan5

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:19:14 am

Hi thank you for your reply.

No , there weren't any encrypted folders. I have discovered I am able to change the owner by doing the same step mentioned in this image I posted before

I solved The problem regarding permissions, so far , by uninstalling and installing again Mozilla Firefox.

I don't understand why " sudo chmod g+w /media/estudiosil/Datos/755bc4b6-9ba8-4b12-8bcc-0066b2a45f5b" forbade me the access to '/media/estudiosil/Datos/755bc4b6-9ba8-4b12-8bcc-0066b2a45f5b' I also tried that command replace the UUID number for the Label name which is also Datos, didn't work.

I have "fixed" the problem by doing as I said , however another I have the following doubts:
1- I don't know , is whether the correct Owner of the folders should be "Root" and
2- I don't know whether the correct Group should be "Adm" or "my user name" . Do you know which is the correct for each ?

PS: 3- Is it possible to edit /etc/fstab and add a line to mount this partition as / home , or will It brake my system? this is just a theoretical question it is not my wish, just want to know.