This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual booting ZorinOS and Win10 on Acer Swift 3

NotLDR

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:25:41 pm

Hi all,

I recently bought a new laptop and really wanted to try ZorinOS next to Windows 10. I have created a live USB and when I try to boot from it, I get on the grub screen that has the options to install, try etc. When I choose any option, the screen goes black and I am unable to do anything.

I have searched all over for a solution, but have not been able to find any that helped, thus my question here. I have tried installing with Secure Boot enables/disabled, as well as Fast Boot enabled/disabled. I have also tried both Rufus and Etcher to create a live USB. Up to this point nothing has worked.

I have used Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 for a long time on my previous HP laptop. I'm not completely new to dual booting, but this time I have no idea how to do it.

My Acer Swift 3 sf314-57-57 has an Intel Core i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz CPU, 8 GB of RAM, Intel UHD Graphics and a single Kingston 500GB SSD.

If anyone can help me, I greatly appreciate it!

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:30:37 pm

Hi, Apart from Fast Boot and Secure boot you also need to change some power settings in Windows - see if you can find 'Advance Power Settings (hidden)" - you need to turn off the power that enables the hard drive to go into 'sleep' mode. This is how Windows 10 boots quick by never physically turning off the hard drive and prevents any other boot process. Also have you remembered to change your boot order of devices? Have you shrunk your Windows C:\ drive first using Disk Management in Windows before even attempting to install? The best method of dual booting is the Matthew Moore nontraditional method where you use NeoSmart Technologies EasyBCD. You install it after you have setup your Linux install in Windows 10 - on first launch it will automatically backup your bootloader - you then add an entry into EasyBCD by adding Linux and pointing to '/'. ;) :D

NotLDR

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:24:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Apart from Fast Boot and Secure boot you also need to change some power settings in Windows - see if you can find 'Advance Power Settings (hidden)" - you need to turn off the power that enables the hard drive to go into 'sleep' mode. This is how Windows 10 boots quick by never physically turning off the hard drive and prevents any other boot process. Also have you remembered to change your boot order of devices? Have you shrunk your Windows C:\ drive first using Disk Management in Windows before even attempting to install? The best method of dual booting is the Matthew Moore nontraditional method where you use NeoSmart Technologies EasyBCD. You install it after you have setup your Linux install in Windows 10 - on first launch it will automatically backup your bootloader - you then add an entry into EasyBCD by adding Linux and pointing to '/'. ;) :D

Actually, I did not. I thought this was meant with fast boot in the bios. I have also watched a tutorial on YouTube in which was shown that you could shrink the disk during installation. Do you happen to have a good tutorial for this Matthew Moore nontraditional method?

Thanks for your fast reply, I will try again asap!

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:02:03 am