This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Firefox 39.0 address bar blacked out - Zorin OS 9 Lite

GregW67

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:03:56 am

Hi all, I'm new here but wanted to post a solution I just found to a problem I was having with Firefox 39.0 in two new Zorin OS 9 Lite installations. I decided to post this because I already searched on this forum for a solution but could not find a threat about it; I then searched elsewhere online and found the solution on the Ubuntu forums.

After installation of Zorin, everything worked well, except for one thing - the address bar in Firefox 39.0 was not displaying the URL of whatever page I was on, but instead was replaced by a grey/black bar, as if someone had blacked out the writing with a thick black marker.

The solution to this is as follows : Open a new tab, and type about:config in the address bar, and hit Enter. A warning will come up about tampering with the settings (I forget now how it is worded) but just select OK to the warning and continue. On the page that has come up, find the line starting with gfx.xrender.enabled (type gfx.x in search bar to find it more quickly). This line will end with =true. Double-click the line to change this value to =false. Restart firefox and now all URLs should be displayed properly.

Apparently this is a common Firefox bug in various types of Ubuntu-based Linux. This is where I read of the way to fix this problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2244521

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:46:52 am

Hi GregW67, many thanks for your valued input - have 60 blue jewels on me! ;) :D