Zorin OS 15 Beta Feedback

Re: Zorin OS 15 Beta Feedback

Postby El Pingüino Papista » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:38 pm

This looks really great. There are some glitches. For example, Night Light will turn on and off during the night (I will notice the screen alternating between red and blue tint). Redshfit does not have this issue. Also, while Zorin Connect is impressive in its ability to remain connected to the phone--even on a school network--it is more annoying than helpful. What is the point of replying to a text on my computer if I cannot see the text history on my computer? Overall, very good.
El Pingüino Papista

Postby alex93 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:44 pm

very nice beta version. I've followed development progress for a couple of years now and I finally switched to Zorin. Thank you for such a great OS!

I've found a couple of bugs and want to share some thoughts / feature requests:
1) on Audio settings, when I hover over "output volume" and move the mouse wheel, it goes the wrong direction
2) startup sounds cannot be turned on, I don't know why
3) On Live System boot, when you select a language other than English, the "Language" on "Region & Language" setting is English (even though everything is on Language XY as selected on boot)
4) I am unable to set the duration of keyboard backlight. It goes off after 30 sec of inactivity, but I'd like to change this (low priority).
5) The whole OS looks super small. For example, Day & Time (on taskbar) is only 0.2cm high. All other fonts, icons, etc are also very small. I found a scale option on display settings, but 200% is WAY to big. Is there a chance you can add 125%, please? It's currently hurting my eyes :roll:
6) left click on a taskbar app symbol (e.g. telegram) behaves like a right click. I'm used that a left click opens the app while right click opens a context menu...
7) I'm not able to find an option for login with fingerprint. Is it not supported? :(
8) when I press "PRINT" button on my keyboard, a screenshot is being made. Unfortunately, it's automatically saved in Photos-Folder and not copied to my clipboard.

For me, my high priority issues are the scale option to 125% (It's really small and really no fun to work with) and fingerprint-reader support for log-in security.
I'm using a Acer Swift 1 Ultra Thin (SF114-32-P78E) 14'' notebook.

Hope I was able to help you!
Last edited by alex93 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex93

Postby kpinvt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 pm

While running OS 15 beta from a USB stick I had no sound and only intermittent wifi access. None of the fixes for Dummy Output I found on the web worked. I was using a Toshiba Satellite C55 with 8 GB ram.
kpinvt

Postby Swarfendor437 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 pm

alex93 wrote:very nice beta version. I've followed development progress for a couple of years now and I finally switched to Zorin. Thank you for such a great OS!

I've found a couple of bugs and want to share some thoughts / feature requests:
1) on Audio settings, when I hover over "output volume" and move the mouse wheel, it goes the wrong direction
2) startup sounds cannot be turned on, I don't know why
3) On Live System boot, when you select a language other than English, the "Language" on "Region & Language" setting is English (even though everything is on Language XY as selected on boot)
4) I am unable to set the duration of keyboard backlight. It goes off after 30 sec of inactivity, but I'd like to change this (low priority).
5) The whole OS looks super small. For example, Day & Time (on taskbar) is only 0.2cm high. All other fonts, icons, etc are also very small. I found a scale option on display settings, but 200% is WAY to big. Is there a chance you can add 125%, please? It's currently hurting my eyes :roll:
6) left click on a taskbar app symbol (e.g. telegram) behaves like a right click. I'm used that a left click opens the app while right click opens a context menu...
7) I'm not able to find an option for login with fingerprint. Is it not supported? :(
8) when I press "PRINT" button on my keyboard, a screenshot is being made. Unfortunately, it's automatically saved in Photos-Folder and not copied to my clipboard.

For me, my high priority issues are the scale option to 125% (It's really small and really no fun to work with) and fingerprint-reader support for log-in security.
I'm using a Acer Swift 1 Ultra Thin (SF114-32-P78E) 14'' notebook.

Hope I was able to help you!

5) Install 'Gnome Tweaks' and add Text Scaler - at least you don't have to logout and back in again to see the changes like that other OS!
7) Install Synaptic Package Manager and search for 'fingerprint reader':

fingerprint reader.jpg
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby Swarfendor437 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:22 pm

kpinvt wrote:While running OS 15 beta from a USB stick I had no sound and only intermittent wifi access. None of the fixes for Dummy Output I found on the web worked. I was using a Toshiba Satellite C55 with 8 GB ram.

Toshiba is one brand of notebook that is not GNU/Linux friendly 'per se'. ;)

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby alex93 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:10 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
5) Install 'Gnome Tweaks' and add Text Scaler - at least you don't have to logout and back in again to see the changes like that other OS!
7) Install Synaptic Package Manager and search for 'fingerprint reader':

fingerprint reader.jpg

Thank you for the quick answer! I will try it in the next couple of days and update this post. :)
alex93

Postby Swarfendor437 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 pm

OK, so upgraded my graphics to a 1030Ti (Minimum nvidia card required for Zorin 15 as follows:

Nvidia graphics cards.jpg

As you can see, I was just short of a GT630 for this distro so I leapfrogged a bit to keep relatively up-to-date without breaking the bank.

I have noticed that even with the newer Graphics card, running Zorin 15 Beta in VM on Virtual Box 6 the menus get garbled, particularly System Tools and Utilities - if I move the mouse up and down the menu, the menu items blur into one another and if I move it slowly over each item after this is happened the menu goes dark (no such issues on an install so far).

Something I don't know if amiss, on installed version to hard drive as opposed to VM I notice a user in the users settings that is disabled - but more interestingly is that there is a Language field that is not there under my user as it was in 12 (Region and Language).

Swarfendor437

Feature Request

Postby abbreviatedman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:40 am

A feature request:

I'm not sure how you folks intend to implement the macOS layout for 15, but if there's a way to integrate a more Mac-like dock (using Plank or Docky or some such) and have it read from the same favorites and look like part of the Zorin OS landscape, I think that would be a better implementation than the straight move-the-current-dock-to-the-bottom approach.

Praise and bug reports incoming sometime this weekend. : )
-abbreviatedman
-------------------------
Main machine: Huawei Matebook X Pro (2018)
Secondary Machine: ThinkPad X200
abbreviatedman

Re: Feature Request

Postby zorinantwerp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:28 pm

abbreviatedman wrote:A feature request:

I'm not sure how you folks intend to implement the macOS layout for 15, but if there's a way to integrate a more Mac-like dock (using Plank or Docky or some such) and have it read from the same favorites and look like part of the Zorin OS landscape, I think that would be a better implementation than the straight move-the-current-dock-to-the-bottom approach.

Praise and bug reports incoming sometime this weekend. : )

thanks your comments. by tradition in the 'ultimate' Zorin version a macOS appearance is included together with video wallpapers.

+++
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, Zorin Group.
zorinantwerp

Postby abbreviatedman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:08 pm

abbreviatedman wrote:thanks your comments. by tradition in the 'ultimate' Zorin version a macOS appearance is included together with video wallpapers.

Oh, I know, and I own Ultimate, and I love it! What I'm saying is that instead of using the GNOME 3 Dock at the bottom, you could use the Plank or Docky or some such dock for more familiarity for those coming from Mac, as used in elementary and in the "Cupertino" layout in Ubuntu MATE (which is otherwise a little more limited in their layout changes, since they're using MATE). Those docks have more of a Mac-like look and Mac-like animations, with the growing of icons on mouseover.

I'm not sure if it's too late in 15's lifecycle to add that with its first release, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to integrate another kind of dock with the Zorin look and feel, but I think it would really complete your macOS layout.
-abbreviatedman
-------------------------
Main machine: Huawei Matebook X Pro (2018)
Secondary Machine: ThinkPad X200
abbreviatedman

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback