This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wubi -- Zorin Edition?

ryanwolf74

Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:01:15 am

2nd post here at the Zorin group forums, but about something different then icons.

I have a mother who sometimes gets amazed by the things I do with my Arch dekstops and other distros on my portable computers. One day I showed her out this feature an she was like how do I do that? And Im like you need Ubuntu (signifiying that on my portables (laptops, netbooks) After like 2 months or so I distrohop :P). So she wanted me to install Ubuntu on her computer.

Now I would have been fine for that but I was afraid that my Mom would not like the new Unity shell (My brother dislikes Ubuntu because of unity bugs.. great -_-), and the fact that she might be nagging me with tons of questions until she gets used to the lifestyle. Her HP Mini Vivevan Tam Limited Edition has Windows 7 Home Premium on it, so I thought Zorin!

Now thing is, I need something like Wubi for Ubuntu or mint4win for Mint (Which of course is just wubi modified).
Thing is I'm afraid that if I just do the regular dual-boot a number of things could go wrong like Her windows partition would not work (happened to me a few times, don't judge me). And what if she doesn't like it and asks me how to remove it? Im in a dead trap. She'll be MADDER THAN THE DEVIL at that point. (Yes I know you can remove GRUB from resetting the mbr from a windows disc but I don't have one and she'd probably be afraid of me "ruining" her computer again.

So Zorin team, an idea I want to request: A Wubi like thing, only for Zorin.

I just wish I'd wasn't so lazy and write this request like back in June, when she asked me to install it instead of now with GNOME 3 and junk making things buggier and more stripped and less customizable than the last version and stuff...

That is all! :D

ryanwolf74

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:49:55 pm

What if she wants to customize the distro? I used Unetbootin before, and it's only like a live environment (depending on the distro). Also, is this pendrivelinux thing free? Sounds like a good alternative for now I guess...

ryanwolf74

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:54:34 am

Hmm... It sounds and seems very good.. Probably will be a bit annoyed that she would have to plug it in every time she wants to run Zorin but awesome! Thanks!