Zorin OS 12 Beta Feedback

Zorin OS 12 Beta Feedback

Postby AZorin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:50 pm

After over a year of planning and development we've released the Zorin OS 12 Beta. We've introduced an entirely new desktop experience that will make your computer more useful, more powerful and more enjoyable to use.
You can learn more about what's new here: http://zoringroup.com/blog/2016/09/19/t ... orin-os-12

We would love to hear your feedback on what we've created so far. Feel free to post here your thoughts from using the Beta, bug reports and suggestions of what you would like us to improve even further for the final release.
AZorin
Site Admin

Re: Zorin OS 12 Beta Feedback

Postby Hensyr Wolf » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi some feedback here from Belgium

Instalation on a desktop computer went succesfull
Installation however on the laptop fails on the very last moment.
There is a problem report but can't be reported

reason:

Problem in ubiquity
The problem can not be reported:
This is not an official Zorin package. Please remove party package and try again.

Is there a possibillity that i can report anyway?
Want to know more about Zorin OS in Dutch please click this link: Dutch Zorin OS
Hensyr Wolf

Postby Hensyr Wolf » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:46 pm

Update:

Install on laptop went succesfull if i install without additional drivers option
Want to know more about Zorin OS in Dutch please click this link: Dutch Zorin OS
Hensyr Wolf

Postby CarNikola » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm

I must say that I am happy to see polished theme design and so on, but no option to snap window to corner or to place panel on left or right is a game change to me.
I do like you added purple theme as I suggested, but you removed compiz cube, witch is one of the things that people coming from Windows and MacOS do like to see.
Overall, I couldn't find any huge bug, except that transparency effect wouldn't apply as soon as i change % of it, but pretty much later (could be dew to a vb).
I will get back as soon as I have something new to report.
CarNikola

Postby aberts10 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:06 pm

Amazing. Perhaps in the official build you could look into including pushbullet to push android notifcations to your desktop (theres a web browser based extension that only works when the web browser is open, but theres also the unofficial version which pushes notifications to ubuntu based systems)... Or if pushbullet doesn't fancy the zorin group, perhaps you could try to include KDE connect if it works, i know theres already a PPA advailible for 16.04 for the latest release... Also, i love some of the new changes, but i can say im thrilled with the design entirely. I enjoyed having one color on zorin 11, the blue and white design accross the panel, and windows... it would be nice to have the ability to change the black task panel to the zorin 11 white and blue instead if possible (as a option, not by default), and though im not a fan of the zorin 9 theme, some people are, and it may also be nice to have the ability to change it to that too, so that you can have the latest zorin with the old theme while keeping the latest zorin features. I haven't noticed any major issues with anything yet, though i have noticed the new universal search provided by gnome doesn't seem to search software, perhaps because im running it on a USB right now and dont have everything updated, and mabye because i need to sign into google and everything first. I look forward to the full zorin 12 release, im thinking i may purchase the premium edition if i find i enjoy the beta enough. I will make sure to leave more feedback as i use it as a main OS for a few days on a HDD.
Nvidia GTX 745 4 GB, I7-4790 @3.60 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, Windows 10, Xubuntu 17.04
aberts10

Postby MBMz10 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:25 pm

1 full hardware install
1 Virtual box install and a live session on an old laptop.
Have made a video showing the basic desktop and a few settings etc if your interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxmaYA ... e=youtu.be

Share your thoughts.
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
MBMz10

Postby crazyporscheman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:44 pm

Installed the Beta this morning on spare HP laptop using full encryption with zero issue.

Only issue I have ran into is when I change the desktop wallpaper from one stock image to another stock image there seems to be about a 10 second pause before the desktop updates. I saw this with another Gnome 3 distro a short while back but can't remember the distro.

I have to say it again...I've been running the Beta as though it is my main box all day with no hiccups at all...is this really only a beta?!?
HP Pavilion i5-8250 CPU 8GB RAM 256GB SSD with Zorin 15
crazyporscheman

Postby Swarfendor437 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:04 pm

OK, I am posting using Zorin 12 Core Beta 64-bit. As an advocate for accessibility I was disappointed in that Galculator (Gnome Calculator) is still not the 'de facto' calculator - (for my reasons see my video on 'Accessibility - the way it should be done' here: https://vimeo.com/95682732). What has floored me is the absolute stonkingly brilliant 'Maps' - better than Google, better than Bing, better than anything closed source has to offer! I think GMac Linux tried to implement this but somehow lost the link somewhere along the line. I feel uneasy with the Software Centre - it appears a step backward rather than forward - no synaptic package manager, no Administration, no Preferences - this could lose people like Windows 8 did with Windows folks (designed by two ex-Canonical employees). This I found most bemusing whilst searching for package managers - it reminded me of the absolute pants search engine of 'bookshare' - instead of saying - 'nothing found' it gives totally unrelated book titles to the ones you need to access for modification for students who cannot access the curriculum due to impaired vision:

Software.jpg

taskwarrior-plars.jpg

What particularly made me laugh is that its description states:

"Taskwarrior is Free and Open Source Software ..."

but at the bottom it states that it is "nonfree" - so what gives?

I have yet to explore more but it seems my Menus are reaching Cul de Sacs - or my age and experience is taking its toll.

I think I will have to install it later this week to give an overall verdict as I haven't got past Accessories yet or able to install other DE's in Live Mode. Watch this space .... 8-)

On postive notes, Canon All-in-One recognised instantly, just as you would expect in Windows but better than Windows! Also Scanner of All-in-One works but not without it reporting first that it can't find scanner so you choose duplicate name of the All-in-One and it then works - this is a canonical/simple scan bug as this happened in Zorin 11 too!.

I don't think it is Zorin but infuriating programming by The Document Foundation of LibreOffice Writer - I always like to see Styles/Task Bar on the Left, and the Dock is only available on the right.

I was surprised to see 'Web' in the Browser Manager - I would have preferred to See Opera. No issue with Midori being there as it is a Free Software Browser. I think I would be replacing Chromium with Firefox once installed.

Good to see AWN gone but think it would have been better to have gone with Cinammon to maintain users desire for customisation, not to mention desire for menu binding of the 'Z' button to the Windows Meta Key but Alt+ F1 does launch the Menu - can this not be changed?

Returning to Accessibility a real shame that Compiz is not present:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v40627503jxeaQkAQ

Oh, and it doesn't want to play in Chromium! ;) :D or Videos!:

Videos not able to play veoh video.jpg

Screenreader now appears to work with the Menu once Alt+ F1 used to launch and navigate - Gnome Project needs to pull its finger out and reintroduce the backend to the screenreader.

For mail I would have preferred to see Clawsmail over Geary.

Rhythmbox on Zorin 12 was the first Audio Player to recognise correctly World of Mann (a sort of Best of Manfredd Mann/Earth Band) and even displayed the correct album/CD cover!

I see spyware Zeitgeist is still present when there is no need for it and disappointingly, Gnome/Ubuntu are still dependent on Evolution Calendar as part of the system - you would have thought by now Gnome/Linux Kernel Devs would have got to grips with this over-burdensome addition of Evolution calendar needed to provide the basis for System Dates instead of Internet based Time Servers or Local setting not dependent on software that belongs to an Application that is not even present - but that is not a criticism of Zorin! ;) :D
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby Elfus » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:00 am

Just installed in a netbook, 64bits dual boot install.

The install process was a pain, because most of the menus didn't show the next button, so I had to connect a 2nd monitor to complete the install process.
After the initial problems, I get to the login menu, and for my surprise, Guest account was missing. I got little sad, but not a big deal.

The menu looks a bit clogged as compared to last versions. It may be because of the black background, I didn't test the other backgrounds.

Just my 2 cents, but overall, was a nice improvement
Elfus

Postby Dasto » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:56 am

Testing Zorin 12 beta installed on Virtualbox. Very good and more stable as based on Gnome but as it's based on Gnome instead of XFCE you also lose some features.
The following features are missing and I do understand that this is due to Gnome and not Zorin but I will list them anyway...

1. No 'right click' on menu to make app shortcut on desktop.
2. No 'Recycle Bin' icon on desktop (fixed this by installing Gnome Tweak Tool).
3. No basic tree structure menu option(think LXDE menu) but again this is fixable through enabling menu in extensions in Gnome Tweak Tool.

Overall very good start except for the minor missing options I listed above. I only see these as an issue in my opinion when thinking about the
modifications I would have to do to make this usable for my parents. I have only played with it on Virtualbox for a couple of hours but again
very good start to the beta. :)
Dasto
Dasto

Next

Return to Feedback