This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 12 Beta Feedback

AZorin

Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:50:08 pm

After over a year of planning and development we've released the Zorin OS 12 Beta. We've introduced an entirely new desktop experience that will make your computer more useful, more powerful and more enjoyable to use.
You can learn more about what's new here: http://zoringroup.com/blog/2016/09/19/t ... orin-os-12

We would love to hear your feedback on what we've created so far. Feel free to post here your thoughts from using the Beta, bug reports and suggestions of what you would like us to improve even further for the final release.

Hensyr Wolf

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:42:34 pm

Hi some feedback here from Belgium

Instalation on a desktop computer went succesfull
Installation however on the laptop fails on the very last moment.
There is a problem report but can't be reported

reason:

Problem in ubiquity
The problem can not be reported:
This is not an official Zorin package. Please remove party package and try again.

Is there a possibillity that i can report anyway?

Hensyr Wolf

Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:46:00 pm

Update:

Install on laptop went succesfull if i install without additional drivers option

CarNikola

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:03:56 pm

I must say that I am happy to see polished theme design and so on, but no option to snap window to corner or to place panel on left or right is a game change to me.
I do like you added purple theme as I suggested, but you removed compiz cube, witch is one of the things that people coming from Windows and MacOS do like to see.
Overall, I couldn't find any huge bug, except that transparency effect wouldn't apply as soon as i change % of it, but pretty much later (could be dew to a vb).
I will get back as soon as I have something new to report.

aberts10

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:06:20 pm

Amazing. Perhaps in the official build you could look into including pushbullet to push android notifcations to your desktop (theres a web browser based extension that only works when the web browser is open, but theres also the unofficial version which pushes notifications to ubuntu based systems)... Or if pushbullet doesn't fancy the zorin group, perhaps you could try to include KDE connect if it works, i know theres already a PPA advailible for 16.04 for the latest release... Also, i love some of the new changes, but i can say im thrilled with the design entirely. I enjoyed having one color on zorin 11, the blue and white design accross the panel, and windows... it would be nice to have the ability to change the black task panel to the zorin 11 white and blue instead if possible (as a option, not by default), and though im not a fan of the zorin 9 theme, some people are, and it may also be nice to have the ability to change it to that too, so that you can have the latest zorin with the old theme while keeping the latest zorin features. I haven't noticed any major issues with anything yet, though i have noticed the new universal search provided by gnome doesn't seem to search software, perhaps because im running it on a USB right now and dont have everything updated, and mabye because i need to sign into google and everything first. I look forward to the full zorin 12 release, im thinking i may purchase the premium edition if i find i enjoy the beta enough. I will make sure to leave more feedback as i use it as a main OS for a few days on a HDD.

MBMz10

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:25:58 pm

1 full hardware install
1 Virtual box install and a live session on an old laptop.
Have made a video showing the basic desktop and a few settings etc if your interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxmaYA ... e=youtu.be

Share your thoughts.

crazyporscheman

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:44:35 pm

Installed the Beta this morning on spare HP laptop using full encryption with zero issue.

Only issue I have ran into is when I change the desktop wallpaper from one stock image to another stock image there seems to be about a 10 second pause before the desktop updates. I saw this with another Gnome 3 distro a short while back but can't remember the distro.

I have to say it again...I've been running the Beta as though it is my main box all day with no hiccups at all...is this really only a beta?!?

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:04:34 pm

OK, I am posting using Zorin 12 Core Beta 64-bit. As an advocate for accessibility I was disappointed in that Galculator (Gnome Calculator) is still not the 'de facto' calculator - (for my reasons see my video on 'Accessibility - the way it should be done' here: https://vimeo.com/95682732). What has floored me is the absolute stonkingly brilliant 'Maps' - better than Google, better than Bing, better than anything closed source has to offer! I think GMac Linux tried to implement this but somehow lost the link somewhere along the line. I feel uneasy with the Software Centre - it appears a step backward rather than forward - no synaptic package manager, no Administration, no Preferences - this could lose people like Windows 8 did with Windows folks (designed by two ex-Canonical employees). This I found most bemusing whilst searching for package managers - it reminded me of the absolute pants search engine of 'bookshare' - instead of saying - 'nothing found' it gives totally unrelated book titles to the ones you need to access for modification for students who cannot access the curriculum due to impaired vision:

Software.jpg

taskwarrior-plars.jpg

What particularly made me laugh is that its description states:

"Taskwarrior is Free and Open Source Software ..."

but at the bottom it states that it is "nonfree" - so what gives?

I have yet to explore more but it seems my Menus are reaching Cul de Sacs - or my age and experience is taking its toll.

I think I will have to install it later this week to give an overall verdict as I haven't got past Accessories yet or able to install other DE's in Live Mode. Watch this space .... 8-)

On postive notes, Canon All-in-One recognised instantly, just as you would expect in Windows but better than Windows! Also Scanner of All-in-One works but not without it reporting first that it can't find scanner so you choose duplicate name of the All-in-One and it then works - this is a canonical/simple scan bug as this happened in Zorin 11 too!.

I don't think it is Zorin but infuriating programming by The Document Foundation of LibreOffice Writer - I always like to see Styles/Task Bar on the Left, and the Dock is only available on the right.

I was surprised to see 'Web' in the Browser Manager - I would have preferred to See Opera. No issue with Midori being there as it is a Free Software Browser. I think I would be replacing Chromium with Firefox once installed.

Good to see AWN gone but think it would have been better to have gone with Cinammon to maintain users desire for customisation, not to mention desire for menu binding of the 'Z' button to the Windows Meta Key but Alt+ F1 does launch the Menu - can this not be changed?

Returning to Accessibility a real shame that Compiz is not present:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v40627503jxeaQkAQ

Oh, and it doesn't want to play in Chromium! ;) :D or Videos!:

Videos not able to play veoh video.jpg

Screenreader now appears to work with the Menu once Alt+ F1 used to launch and navigate - Gnome Project needs to pull its finger out and reintroduce the backend to the screenreader.

For mail I would have preferred to see Clawsmail over Geary.

Rhythmbox on Zorin 12 was the first Audio Player to recognise correctly World of Mann (a sort of Best of Manfredd Mann/Earth Band) and even displayed the correct album/CD cover!

I see spyware Zeitgeist is still present when there is no need for it and disappointingly, Gnome/Ubuntu are still dependent on Evolution Calendar as part of the system - you would have thought by now Gnome/Linux Kernel Devs would have got to grips with this over-burdensome addition of Evolution calendar needed to provide the basis for System Dates instead of Internet based Time Servers or Local setting not dependent on software that belongs to an Application that is not even present - but that is not a criticism of Zorin! ;) :D

Elfus

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:00:20 pm

Just installed in a netbook, 64bits dual boot install.

The install process was a pain, because most of the menus didn't show the next button, so I had to connect a 2nd monitor to complete the install process.
After the initial problems, I get to the login menu, and for my surprise, Guest account was missing. I got little sad, but not a big deal.

The menu looks a bit clogged as compared to last versions. It may be because of the black background, I didn't test the other backgrounds.

Just my 2 cents, but overall, was a nice improvement

Dasto

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:56:08 am

Testing Zorin 12 beta installed on Virtualbox. Very good and more stable as based on Gnome but as it's based on Gnome instead of XFCE you also lose some features.
The following features are missing and I do understand that this is due to Gnome and not Zorin but I will list them anyway...

1. No 'right click' on menu to make app shortcut on desktop.
2. No 'Recycle Bin' icon on desktop (fixed this by installing Gnome Tweak Tool).
3. No basic tree structure menu option(think LXDE menu) but again this is fixable through enabling menu in extensions in Gnome Tweak Tool.

Overall very good start except for the minor missing options I listed above. I only see these as an issue in my opinion when thinking about the
modifications I would have to do to make this usable for my parents. I have only played with it on Virtualbox for a couple of hours but again
very good start to the beta. :)

liberodark

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:03:31 am

Installation no work in french language !

nascar64

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:28:01 am

you know was waiting for Zorin 12 but don't see any "COMPIZ AND CUBE GEAR " i guess it won't be there ,really was going to buy zorin 12 Ultimate but i think il kept 9 for now and wait for some thing different coming up very diisapointeded ,will see,Ray

svx-biker

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:58:18 am

Hensyr Wolf wrote:...
Installation however on the laptop fails on the very last moment.
There is a problem report but can't be reported

reason:

Problem in ubiquity
The problem can not be reported:
This is not an official Zorin package. Please remove party package and try again.

Is there a possibillity that i can report anyway?

Same here when I install in German. It fails at the very end in Virtualbox and on a Thinkpad T410.

Haki

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:40:18 pm

1. Why I cant make icons (shortcuts) of 3rd party apps on desktop?
2. Why you removed Chrome from Zorin Web Browser Manager? New users dont know what is Chromium. It is not problem for me, but for newbies...
3. Why there is no trash icon on desktop? I needed Gnome Tweak to fix this.
4. Add more mutter settings in Zorin appearance. I needed Gnome tweak to allocate virtual desktops to only 1.
5. Gnome software is..... I needed to install appgrid.
6. It crashes constantly.
7. The bootup speed is critically low.
8. System is too much heavier for normal use.
9. Ubiquity has a problem. It not refreshes wifi conections when installing OS.
10. Are there any plans for Lite?

crazyporscheman

Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:27:25 pm

Hey Folks!

I found my first problem in running the Beta this morning. When I close the lid on my machine it will not suspend. The screen does shut off but does not lock.'

I checked through my settings in Setting Manager and did not find anything in Power Management that dictates what happens when the lid is closed. I jumped into Gnome Tweak Tool and in the power settings there it is stated that the machine should suspend on a closed lid for both running on battery power and plugged in.

Was wondering if anyone else is seeing this and if there is a fix for it.

Thanks,
Tim

svx-biker

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:14:47 pm

Just did a successful install in virtualbox with location=London and language=English. I'll now try to change language and location in the installed version.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:05:28 pm

Hi Tim,

Please don't expect any Help and Support on Beta - any other issues, please post here!

It is vital that issues with Beta are fedback in Feedback as that is where the Devs will be looking to attempt to resolve issues before the final releas in two to three weeks time. ;) :D

crazyporscheman

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:44:46 am

Hey Folks!

I found my first problem in running the Beta this morning. When I close the lid on my machine it will not suspend. The screen does shut off but does not lock.

I checked through my settings in Setting Manager and did not find anything in Power Management that dictates what happens when the lid is closed. I jumped into Gnome Tweak Tool and in the power settings there it is selected that the machine should suspend on a closed lid for both running on battery power and plugged in.

I found a post on AskUbuntu talking about the issue with 16.04 and tried a fix put forth in the post by changing the /etc/systemd/logind.conf file to reflect HandleLidSwitchDocked=suspend rather than =ignore and there was no result.

I also found the bug on launchpad but the fix went down the road of a kernel issue and updating the kernel would solve the issue but that is well beyond anything I would put forth on a Beta release plus my limited skill set.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this or if there is a known fix for the issue.

Thanks,
Tim

crazyporscheman

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:50:48 am

Found a second issue playing around with the out-of-the-box apps this evening...

Gnome Weather isn't working at all. I can search and find a location close to me and select it but no go in showing current weather or a forecast.

Did some poking around and found an article on OMG Ubuntu regarding the issue. Looks like it is a Gnome issue, not a Zorin issue but sure would be nice to have it working.

Link to article for those interested:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/gnome-weather-forecast-not-available

MBMz10

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:35:05 am

Zorin blog for OS 12 says weather not working yet in beta

http://zoringroup.com/blog/2016/09/19/t ... rin-os-12/

Weather

Weather gives you an aesthetically pleasing view into the weather conditions and forecasts at home and abroad.
Warning: Downloading weather data is not supported in the Zorin OS 12 Beta yet.

crazyporscheman

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:56:09 am

Thanks MBMz10! I just read back through the release announcement and caught the portion regarding Weather.

chamen

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:42:00 pm

This would be one of my first encounters with linus so I hope that my review is useful. I am running everything off of a usb so I don't know how installation is yet.

1) When the computer started the panel was only half high. Meaning that the lower half of the panel wasn't showing. I was able to fix that my moving the panel to the top and then bottom.

2) I can't see how to move the panel to the side and I don't know if that is an option. For me that is important since my computer is small and wide screen, so in order to make webpages more square (as most are designed to be) I like to move the panel to the side like this [img]i.imgur.com/frOvLay.png[/img]

3) Pressing start opens the search and not the zorin logo. I don't know if that is intentional, but maybe start should open the zorin logo and something like shift start should open the search.

4) I really liked the design of panel in previous versions. It had a unique and nice looking design. This one looks like a copy of the windows 10 one. i much prefer the look of windows 7 over windows 10.

5) The battery logo is the same regardless to if the laptop is plugged in or not.

6) It is not that easy to notice if a program is opened or not. There is just a really small dot underneath the ones that are opened.

7) When searching for something that i don't have, instead of showing me nothing, it shows me unrelated things.

8) My computer's volume, brightness and similar keys are not configured by default. It probably shouldn't be so hard to fix, but it would be nice if it was built in.

9) Using the arrow keys to scroll doesn't work in the software application.

10) alt - tab is slow. It could just be because I am running this off of a live usb.

11) When turning on the computer, before I was connected to wifi, I had to guess where the button to connect to wifi was.

12) Super space is the default combination for switching input language not alt shift as I would have expected. It is not that hard to fix.

In summary, zorin 11 looked better and if it was still supported I would probably prefer to use that. However, 12 still looks really good and I will wait to see what the final version looks like. Thanks for what you did so far and I can't wait until the beta is over.

dante64ster

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:58:34 pm

I installed the 32bit version of it. But sadly the installer said that the installation crashed. Can't get any further. Help, anyone?

frogz2007

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:57:01 pm

Here's my thoughts

1) The new look is beautiful, and I think it's miles better than the previous versions.
2) It is really stable for a beta, though I do get the "Zorin OS 12 has encountered an error" message every once in a while.

I will say right now, though: I got a bit frustrated that I can't edit the start menu entries anymore (previous versions let you right click the start button and manually remove entries) and somehow a random "Sundry" entry was added. I went into the GNOME Software center and removed the "Power Statistics" application, and that got rid of it, though it would help a ton if entries could be hidden / removed.

walfredo

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:22:58 pm

Zorin OS 12 beta - 64 bits in a desktop PC in spanish. installed and working at 100% and look nice

I haven't found screenlets in the repositories.

walfredo

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:58:06 pm

Hello

I had my first problem:

Capture screen with the Print Screen key isn't working, it makes the sound of the capture but there's nothing to paste in Gimp.

The Capture Screen soft closes after each capture and I need go to the menu to open the program each time I use it.

Hensyr Wolf

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:37:36 pm

Hi there i have more a question to ask... what are the system requirements to run Zorin OS 12 smooth on a computer?

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:05:37 am

Hensyr Wolf wrote:Hi there i have more a question to ask... what are the system requirements to run Zorin OS 12 smooth on a computer?

Hi, Hensyr, based on previous core versions I would go for a minimum of 2 Gb RAM and a decent specced Graphics card. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:50:44 am

chamen wrote:
6) It is not that easy to notice if a program is opened or not. There is just a really small dot underneath the ones that are opened.

Well you can place your mouse over the Favo(u)rites icons to see what is open like in Windows 7:

Favourites.jpg

ian4238

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:05:44 pm

I have read so may critical opinions of the new system following on the Zorinos announcement, I decided to download and try it. I am an older person who uses Zorin 9 Ultimate on my desktop, and Zorin 9 Lite on my notebook (as my main OS). For years I tried different systems such as Mandrake, Mandriva, Freespire, Linux XP and PC Linux as a replacement for WIN XP, but none of them did the trick, until I tried Zorin. Eventually bought a disk of Z-6 Ultimate. It gave some trouble until we got a driver for my integrated graphics card. Later replaced the PC, and had no more problems. Then upgraded to Z-9 Ultimate with no hassles. My laptop had WIN 7 Pro installed, until I replaced it with Zorin 9 LIte, which increased substantially the time the battery charge lasted. My only complaint about Lite was the Start menu, which was too small to see easily on an 11inch screen. For a regular user who uses Zorin alone for everything, I am now sure that Zorin 12 will be my choice for a few more years.
Recently I have checked out LXLE, PC Linux and Linux Lite for my laptop, but they all had problems. The latter I downloaded, then installed, but it rejected my password at startup. The reinstalled second time with new password and startup without password, but when I tried the get updates, had the same problem. Reading their forum, I was not alone. I was tempted by Manjaro, but it comes with 117 pages of install instructions, which put me off.
I repeat, no other distro has worked for me over the years without any serious problem, and the new Zorin 12 performs pretty much as I would like. Running live, the "app (launcher) bar" at the bottom of the screen was partly hidden, with only the top of the icons showing. I am sure that will get fixed. I will probably change the browser and disable "Google Integration" as I feel Google are a little too inquisitive. Don't care for Geary either. If the new photo program is based on GThumb it will be OK (it recognised my 3 cameras first time). I would probably never use "Notifications". Why have I kept WIN 7 as a dual boot? It is the easiest way to format a USB drive, the only things I have used it for recently.
Perhaps I should have posted this elsewhere, but I hope Ms Zorin will read my comments.

ian4238

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:16:35 pm

Sorry. I should have written Messrs. Zorin, not Ms.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:35:26 pm

Hi, You will see that I have moved your topic to the right place. ;) :D

Elfus

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:59:15 pm

Hi,

So, after a successful install, I tryed to install it in a new device I got. It's a mini PC with a touchscreen.

I managed to boot from usb, and it goes to the boot page, the one with the Zorin logo, and it stay there forever ( I tryed to leave it there for about half an hour).
Could it be something related with UEFI?

EDIT: Managed to boot from USB, with UEFI, just slow as hell. However, trying the live distro, it is pretty bad with the touchscreen.
When going to the menu, a keyboard appears, but half of it is hidden by the menu.
Also, navigating the menu is pretty bad. When trying to go, for example to system tools, I can't navigate up and down the menu using touch.

Could it be possible to add a way of the menu to adapt to the screen, I mean when using the touchscreen, the menu would ocupy all the screen, like windows tablet mode?

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:08:20 pm

Hi there,

After installing Kazam in Software I wanted to uninstall it because it does not work.(make screencast doesn't work, it just disappears).

Now Kazam remains in Software as removing while it has already been removed.
With the result that it is no longer ready to install in Software.

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:33:58 pm

hi there,

When you press start you will see in the right panel: settings.
The menu has been translated into Dutch systemwide exept for settings that remains in Englisch while it should be "Configuratiecentrum".

usdscbe

Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:11:03 pm

Zorin 12 Beta 32 Bit works really well on my old Compac desktop machine.
AMD Athlon 7550 Dual-Core Processor
I ran MS Vista until a few months ago.
I now run Zorin OS 6.
I originally had trouble with my Nividia Graphics Card setting up way back when, but this works just great!

I love the look and the options for themes.
The Desktop upon opening took my breath away.
It is just lovely.

The Applications are really easy to find and use.
I am running this using a USB thumb drive and have only one issue to report.
When using Chromium, it crashes.
It has crashed three separate times.
That's it.
Using another browser fixed that problem, so far.
(Firefox)

Thank you for this beautiful distribution.
I really cannot wait until the stable version is available.

Please keep up the good work.

ShagFore

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:41:34 pm

I have used zorin since zorin 8 and have loved every version sense, but
I do realize this is beta and bugs are expected. With that said, almost every issue i have had is with the gnome desktop.
Constant freezing - desktop
The ability to share local printer and add network printer is not there without using terminal - desktop
No right click menus - desktop
Using the look changer quit working - desktop
etc,etc,etc - desktop
Switched to Cinnamon Desktop and it runs like a champ with the exception of look changer and a few other desktop related programs.
With that being said, guess what still using zorin. Hopefully the final release will address some of these.
Keep up the good work on an amazing distro guys...Thanks

vojamilan

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:00:36 pm

Hello,

I got a small bug report :
1)
Issue with making install usb - i hit a brick wall using zorin 11's usb maker, on boot i will get "Fail to load gfxboot.c32, cant load COM32"
The only solution for this was to go to my main home/usr/lib/syslinux/modules/bios/ and copy the file to usb/syslinux

2)
Issue with gnome shop, by default it set me to my country, now this is not a big deal to all, but do to me being in Serbia i had initially close to 0 programs to install. I was still able to use terminal to install what i wanted.

3)
Steam : am using AMD, thus i needed to delete/rename a lib in steam "rm ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so."

4)
Once my screen goes black it disconnects my usb wifi receiver. I didn't set for my wifi do go off, but i may have mist were this option is.

5)
Cosmetic issues :
number one - Were he heck is "show desktop" ,
number two - issue with chromium, idk what is going on but its bugy as hell, it will not load more then one page. per same site.
number three - Am getting a bit snappy response, idk, its when i switch active programs, the response is a bit rigid if you know what i mean.
number four - Why in the bloody hell is the main bar black?were can i change this?Who got this idea? xxxxx, keep it neutral, like green,blue,white, were black goes with zorin?

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:44:55 pm

Well decided to get round to installing the 64-bit Beta - have burned disc etc the same as previous iterations of Zorin but got this! :cry:

installFail.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:34:28 pm

OK, Just to add to previous post, I had checked the md5sum of the Zorin iso and it matched, same media used (Verbatim DVD) and same application used to burn the images as I did for Ultimate Edition 5 'Mate' (32-bit) so nothing wrong with the Blu Ray Burner - used the same HDD that had had Makulu 10 Beta which I removed to make space and no issues arose:

Successful install ue5mate2.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:39:26 pm

Yay! 32-bit installed without a hitch - ditched ultimate edition 5 'Mate' as it had a corrupt ldm at boot time and in continual loop - shame really:

Zorin12-32BetaInstalled.jpg

This leads me to suspect dubious 64-bit installer? Intel friendly/AMD unfriendly? :o

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:10:22 pm

OK, should have updated I guess before adding packages! Installed: synaptic package manager, gdebi package manager, dconf-tools (dconf Editor), gnome-tweak-tool, gnome-color-chooser, Gtk Ch+2, Compiz.

One thing to note is the command line instruction has changed from 'sudo apt-get install' to:

Code:
sudo apt install [name of package]

I now have a panel at the top I cannot move!:

panel at top.jpg

mroldhippie

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:29:29 pm

I've been testing for a week now and haven't come across any issues yet. I am running the gnome desktop and love it. It seems and appears much better than the Ubuntu Gnome distro. I will continue running this system and the gnome desktop. Thanks for such a great release!!!!

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:42:30 pm

Well as panel permanently stuck at the top and not bottom, installed Cairo-Dock (and Compiz!):

cube.jpg

Zorin 12 beta firepaint.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:51:58 pm

Please be aware that this is still only in Beta and not Final release so you may get some bugs! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:12:52 am

To install Ubuntu Tweak go to this page:

https://pkgs.org/ubuntu-16.04/getdeb-ap ... l.deb.html

and select on the page:

ubuntu-tweak_0.8.7-1~getdeb2~xenial_all.deb

underneath the heading: Binary package:

ubuntu-tweak.jpg

The only downside is it is not possible to make an applet in Cairo-Dock so has to be launched from a terminal by simply entering:

Code:
ubuntu-tweak

Also install 'gnome-tweak-tool' to change font sizes easily - good decision to ditch Gno/Zorin Menu as you could never change the size of the font on the right side of the menu:

Font modification.jpg

Have replaced Chromium with Firefox but the search bar in the window does not work - but does from the address bar :?

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:30:48 am

There is still an issue with scroll bars in anything 16.04 related:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2333333

Disappointing indeed but not the fault of Zorin Devs - just poor coding again from Canonical!

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:40:51 pm

Some good news ... and bad news! The Good News is GnoMenu managed to finally get installed from here:

https://launchpad.net/gnomenu/trunk

using the new software centre installer app. The bad news that happened before GnoMenu got installed is that on some windows there is a massive border so not sure if created after installing compiz:

GnoMenu and windowborders.jpg

Also if minimize Firefox it needs relaunching and I cannot log out of Cairo-Dock after installing GnoMenu, requires a restart, as does changing GnoMenu themes! :lol:

And in case you are wondering about the fonts in the screenshots I have changed the defaults to 'Asenine' - from daFont.com.

To add any 'TrueType' fonts you will need to take temporary ownership of the 'TrueType' Folder.

1. Extract the Fonts into their named folder in Downloads.

2. Open a terminal and 'cd.. to get to 'usr | share | Fonts' then enter:

Code:
sudo chown [your username] TrueType

3. Copy and paste the extracted Font folder into 'TrueType' - you may have to log out/close any apps before making any changes using 'Tweak Tool' (gnome-tweak-tool) as stated in an earlier posting regarding ubuntu-tweak. ;) :D

marytanasy

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:24:34 pm

The product is beutifully designed. I intalled directly on ASUS-G752VL Gaming Notebook and loaded it on Sandisk Sata HD with the Zorin OS 12 Beta and worked perfectly after I Re-flash the CMOS and beats the tar out of Windows 10 that was originally installed in Notebook, Before CMOS update, would have to boot on USB3 as the main drive when had the older CMOS even with Windows Boot setting being disabled, i still would only boot to CMOS Setup screen. (Was Corrected with CMOS Re-flash and now Solid State Sandisk HD is installed directly in the Laptop.)

Only! after it being Re-flashed on CMOS that it would work perfectly.

The only minor problems is as follows:
1. Need to install Printer driver to Canon imageCLASS MF216n which I downloaded. The printer setup in OS chooses a driver but that printer fails to respond and is only Idle.

2. Wi-Fi intermitent problem with disconnecting internet at times. Had to plug my Netgear dual speed Wi-Fi for direct Network only which works perfectly but would be nice to use Wi-fi normally again.

3. Touchpad buttons fail to work at all on ASUS-G752VL and would have to use mouse.

Please let me know if their are sollutions for these problems.

Thanks,
Mary Tanasy

marytanasy

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:24:08 pm

I reflashed to the latest bios and it loaded and now working on my ASUS NOTEBOOK. Juse need to get driver for wireless network, printer and plug in if available for playing Netflix which the site said uses Silverlite.

Was able to Get Hulu and Amazon Prime to work perfectly.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:43:27 pm

To get netflix follow the guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8760&hilit=+Netflix#p42130

MBMz10

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:45:38 am

Hi, I also did similar, compiz, Cairo dock, (not GnoMenu though) in an attempt to get a similar look and feel to my Zorin 9, 10 and 11 desktop layout but had issues with the theming and other things. Although it basically worked I gave up till the 'core' version comes out.
Sorry I can't be a little more specific as the computer is packed up for a house move and I don't remember exactly what the issues were.
I really love Compiz, not just the eye candy but the functionality that can be achieved also, 1 click to any desktop from anywhere for example.

I was really looking forward to Zorin OS 12 but not really a fan of the Gnome 3 or whatever it is based on desktop functionality. I find it a little tedious.
But it does look nice. The theming and theme changer are cool. So for now I wait.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:50:12 am

MBMz10 wrote:Hi, I also did similar, compiz, Cairo dock, (not GnoMenu though) in an attempt to get a similar look and feel to my Zorin 9, 10 and 11 desktop layout but had issues with the theming and other things. Although it basically worked I gave up till the 'core' version comes out.
Sorry I can't be a little more specific as the computer is packed up for a house move and I don't remember exactly what the issues were.
I really love Compiz, not just the eye candy but the functionality that can be achieved also, 1 click to any desktop from anywhere for example.

I was really looking forward to Zorin OS 12 but not really a fan of the Gnome 3 or whatever it is based on desktop functionality. I find it a little tedious.
But it does look nice. The theming and theme changer are cool. So for now I wait.

Same here - I have replaced Zorin 12 Beta with Makulu Lindoz 12.1 Beta i86 (32-bit) alongside my Deepin 15.1 (now rolled up to 15.3) release on Drive 4 - that has internet issues but looks very nice! ;) :D

c0ntr0ll3r

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:41:08 pm

Just installed the zorin OS 12 beta today and after playing around with it for a bit I have a few things to bring up
1. Creating Icons on the desktop is a pain in the neck. No right click functionality that I have noticed. I'm using a laptop with an external mouse connected an neither right click utility registers on an application's icon in the menu. When right clicked, it launches a new instance of that application. I've had to comb through the file system to find the various applications and copy/paste them to the desktop from there.
2. The desktop actually crashed. Crashed and closed. Left me with a background only. Had to reboot. Only has happened once so far so I'm not overly concerned about it but the issue is that it didn't restart the desktop automatically, it required the reboot. I was downloading a few extra apps from the software center when it crashed so maybe that played a part.
3. Geary was flagged by gmail as 'less secure' and gmail would not authenticate the account. Yes I know this is an issue with my gmail account settings but I was curious if anyone knew why geary would be flagged and thunderbird wouldn't? I haven't researched the security measures either application uses so I was hoping someone had.
4. On a more positive note, I love the look and feel of the new system. Very sleek and light. It is fairly quick on my laptop as well. Great themes and color combos, I'd kill for a black/purple though.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:50:46 am

Are you sure it is Gmail posing this question? I found that when using Evolution I get an insecure message because that is the nature of the mail provider not allowing special characters for the passwords, plus Gmail and ISP provided mail addresses are not secure period - anyone with the right tools can access anyone's email! The only secure email is if you have your own domain/website and linke email to that site. ;) :D

Not tried the icons to desktop - have you tried 'Add to favourites from the panel' and attempt to drag from panel to desktop? ;)

As for Black purple:

download/file.php?id=4685&mode=view

;) :D

SleepyD

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:17:48 am

I love Zorin 12. I have one issue. I have been using the Gnome desktop in Zorin Appearance. I switched for a little while and then switched back to Gnome. The extensions I installed were gone. I had to re-install them. Are you going to be able fix this so the extensions will stay when switching between desktops? I hope so. I like being able to switch between desktops without having to log out. If it can't be fixed, I'd rather have the option at log in. I don't like having to keep re-installing things. Keep up the great work. I plan on paying for the Ultimate version when it is available. Thanks

linuxzorin16

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:48:33 am

Hi I have just installed Zorin 12 beta on my spare machine. It looks first class. However there are some bugs that need looking at:

If the pc goes to sleep it will not log back in and I have to reboot the computer.
It constantly locks up even when on the web, and i have reboot the PC.
Please add the ability to pin the calendar when open as its a pain to keep opening it when I'm writing dates in my spread sheets.
All the same things happened on my spare laptop,

I love the fact that chromium is installed in the task bar. I have been using windows for years and would like to put Linux on all my home computers. I have tried all the distros from Manjaro to Mint. They all have something to offer but i love the look of Zorin and how it is so close to what windows is, however it is better.

I just want a computer that I switch on can do my writing go on the web and is stable when using it and does not crash.

Zorin 12 looks great and I cant wait for the stable release.

OK, I have been using the PC for the last couple of days and disabled the screen saver and no problems with it locking up. Which is great. It has also downloaded some updates and I have connected it to my network with no problems. I have to say it is a pleasure to use it now. It looks modern and is stable for what I need it to do. I'm going to do some video editing on it and see if it presents any problems. All good so far! :)

Keep up the good work. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:44:05 pm

OK, got round to reinstalling Zorin 12 Beta and decided to look at what themes are available in Ubuntu - the only one that works nicely for me is a combination of Adapta-Nokto (Applcations), Hicolor (icons), with Vivacious-AA-GnomeShell-Black:

Themes.jpg

(Chromium Theme us 'Abstract Blue' - keeping up the Zorin theming! :D

How to install the Adapta theme here:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/10/inst ... -on-ubuntu

How to install the Vivacious etc theme here:

http://www.noobslab.com/2016/03/vivacio ... suite.html

To Access the new themes, open your 'Zorin Appearance' in 'System Tools' then go to the 'Theme' tab, then in 'Other Themes' section, use the drop-down arrow to use your preferred combinations for Application, Icons, Shell - I'm afraid 'Paper' reminds me too much of the dismal Win10/M$ Office icon set p***-poor - sorry guys - I want something that looks nice to look at and Paper just does not do it for me - well at least I get to choose what I see which is refreshing to see. ;) :D

mroldhippie

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:00:59 am

Still using the beta version and using the gnome desktop and still loving it. Have kept up with all the updates and upgrades and everything is running great. Thanks again for a really great distro.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:42:13 am

OK, happened a couple of times now where screen has sort of blanked then come back again with desktop expanding to all corners of the screen.
Yesterday was playing with Avant Window Navigator install, just to see what would happen and I could not get rid of a folder on root file system (forgot about "sudo nautilus" :lol: ) and installed "Krusader - root mode" from the Software app. whilst doing this and just saying 'OK' to the various first-time run sequence, the 'Z' menu button disappeared from the panel at the bottom and this is when it almost opened a new desktop - I uninstalled Krusader and everything came back, including flash of screen where it blanked momentarily then 'zoomed' into normal desktop.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:38:33 am

OK, so I decided to take a look at the other Web Browsers on Offer - first, I installed Firefox then removed Chromium (even though you can make more private I still don't really like google-esque links!) I then installed 'Web' and 'Midori' - whilst both have DuckDuckGo as the 'de facto' browser, you can still access Bing and Google but no means of removing the search engines from either Browser so they are both gone! I will be adding 'ixquick.com' [Found out this uses Google search engine but prevents Google from recording your IP or what you have been searching for! :D ] to the search engine providers. Another one to consider is Blekko. To remove Google (and Yahoo, Bing, Amazon and Twitter - first click on the '3 bars' square on the far right of the address bar and select 'Preferences' (I had to take the screenshot with my mobile phone because screenshot did not like it and I did not want to take a whole desktop pic!):

Firefox Preferences.jpg

Then Search tab:

Remove Google search.jpg

Then I looked in 'Software and Updates' as 'Google certificates' used to be here but nothing showing so I just changed update server location to 'Main Server':

Main Server.jpg

Then I opened 'Files' - chose 'other locations' selected 'computer' to show root system then searched for 'Google' when first I should have opened a Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and entered:

Code:
sudo nautilus

I then searched for 'Google' - selected everything and placed the items where they belong:

Google Trash.jpg

Well what is interesting is that 'sudo nautilus' and 'gksu/do nautilus' failed to remove some of the 'Google' folders in Trash - totally unremovable. I then went to Software app and lo and behold, not everything is present and appears that the Software App has some sort of Google tie in? I then searched for Google in Synaptic and removed everything - I expect to reboot to a broken system - I also discovered that the default 'Roboto Font' is Google based (surprise surprise).

If Zorin's next release is Google saturated then I'm afraid I won't be round much longer! Sorry Guys! :twisted:

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:01:08 am

Well, removing Google has broken the system - perhaps I need to move on? :P :o :shock: :( :? :roll: :ugeek: :?: :!: :idea:

Google refusing to leave.jpg

mroldhippie

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:34:59 pm

I have found a problem in Zorin 12. I cannot install a printer. So far this is the only problem I have encountered. Is anyone else having this problem also?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:58:24 pm

Hi, What happens when you enter in a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T to launch):

Code:
system-config-printer

crazyporscheman

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:57:18 pm

I had the same issue with getting my printer set up when I installed Zorin 12 Beta. I had to go to the Brother website and download the driver .DEB packages and install them, did a restart, went to Settings-Printers, set up the printer again then all was just good.

Not sure of the printer model or machine but thought this may help as well.

crazyporscheman

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:10:17 pm

As an FYI to the dev folks within Zorin I thought I would pass this on as feedback. Many of us in the Linux world have heard of Dedoimedo (www.dedoimedo.com) and may have read his reviews. Well, I noticed that he did a review on Zorin OS 12 Beta and thought I would pass it along.

Of particular interest to me is the functionality of connecting an iPhone to Zorin 12. I had not tried it since my install so I gave it a shot and had the same issues he noted in his article and was not able to get the iPhone to connect.

Anyway, here is a link to his article:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/zorin-os-12.html

He makes it very clear that this is the review of a Beta product. He had great reviews of Zorin 11 but isn't impressed with 12. A review is a review and to each their own but again, he does point out some issues....

So far, other than the laptop I'm running the Beta on not going to sleep when closing the lid and the iPhone connectivity, the OS has been flawless in performance and stability. Looking forward to the final release for sure!

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:55:41 pm

@crazyporscheman; Don't forget that it's is proprietary and what worked with one distributor version may not work with the next. I could access all areas of an i-Pad at work with Zorin 11! ;) :D

crazyporscheman

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:58:28 pm

Hey Swarf!

For sure! Most of the stuff written in the article is echoing the issues in other current distros based on the newest Ubuntu release. So far as the iPhone, I'm sure there are fixes for it but I haven't put forth any effort as I don't use my iPhone with Linux in any form.

Tim

star treker

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48:05 am

I purchased Zorin Linux Ultimate OS 9 over a month ago and I love it. The only thing I did not like is that you have e to use complicated console commands to do anything complex, many of which windows has handled with GUI interface since win98. However, I did not come across a deal breaker issue till I encountered the update bug. It's the classic kernel update issue where the update process does not remove the old installed perhaps causing your 240mb boot partition to run out of space. Which I had to do research to find once again console commands to remove them. I'm really hoping you've fixed these issues in version 12. As I'm planning to purchase version 12 ultimate. And this time i will be installing on both my main machine, plus a file server. Please allow for easier installation for custom mouse cursers. It be nice if they came included instead of vanilla versions. Btw, love how easy is 9 was to install, and love blue theme, plus that awesome live starfield background :)

I looked up is 12 beta on YouTube, looks much different, hopefully will prove to be good one. I love that Zorin let's me access a Windows network, very smooth networking imo. I too second an inability to connect phone Bluetooth to Zorin due to you guessed it, another wacky bug. If deal breaker bug as I call it has been addressed, I absolutely will be getting is 12. I love all the apps and games that come with me 9 ultimate, like I said, mostly love it. I tell you this, I will never put that Windows 10 constitutional law breaker on my computer!!!

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:55:41 am

With regards to cleaning your system you could install Ubuntu Tweak and use 'Janitor' that comes with that - don't go deleting a stable kernel though in case the new one crashes it. Alternatively you could use 'Bleach Bit' - you need to clean first as 'root' then as a 'user' second. ;) :D

ZorinUserD630

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:29:02 pm

PC: Dell Latitude D630,
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz × 2,
Graphics: Intel® 965GM,
RAM: 2GBs,
Hard Drive Speed: 5400RPM,
Install Method: Disc Drive,
Pros: Very fast and familiar interface, I really liked the new start menu (AWN was to glitchy for me).
Cons: The Taskbar's Opacity % didn't change quickly at all, I would have liked to have the option to change to a windows 7 look, and the install was very slow.
Overview: Overall I was very happy with this update and intend to buy Ultimate as soon as it is released (based on what I know it should be come out by the end of next week!), The Zorin Developers have really done well!, The only thing other thing I'd like added is a way to upgrade and not lose every thing you had installed because it is really hard to backup your programs/program-data.

star treker

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:12:42 pm

The thing that is really going to suck is when I have to wipe out my install to install version 12. I will loose all my installed apps and games like doom which required me to lookup complex instructions which of course I since forgot, and I will loose my custom curser which also took like two different apps and console commands to install. Its too bad there is no import functionaity in these installs. Its sad that the installs can't just update the OS instead of totally wiping it out. I'm still going to install 12, its just I am not happy about loosing everything in the process and having to relearn how to redoo it all.

WinX_Refugee

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:24:35 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well, removing Google has broken the system - perhaps I need to move on? :P :o :shock: :( :? :roll: :ugeek: :?: :!: :idea:

This has been one of my chief concerns with what I've been reading about Zorin 12. If Google is inextricably part of the OS, then I'm out without even trying it. :(

I'll keep watching, but for now I'm playing with Mint Cinnamon -- with a highly configured Firefox and NOT Chromium (which I installed but was horrified by, immediately removing it -- will check for Google-related files in a bit).

crazyporscheman

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:42:26 pm

This has been one of my chief concerns with what I've been reading about Zorin 12. If Google is inextricably part of the OS, then I'm out without even trying it. :(

Maybe I'm wrong in saying this as I am not a OS/Software developer nor am I that smart when it come to every 'under the hood' aspect of a distro but is Google an active part of Zorin 12?

To me, just because there is the ability to add online account profiles to the OS does not necessarily mean that there is any level of integration unless it is initiated by the end user.

I fully understand the concern of Google being a part of any OS and why many (including myself) would be alarmed and move in another direction if, in fact, the OS integrated with such services or entities without end users knowledge.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:44:22 pm

Advice from the Devs is that in this connected world a lot of people want Google functionality - I accept that there are others who prefer to be spied upon - apparently where I went wrong in the removal element was not using the Search filter in Synaptic Package Manager - this will need a reinstallation of Beta 32-bit to check out - stay tuned! ;) :D

From what I have gleaned it is only the services are there waiting to be awakened - but who knows with Google! Only time will tell! :D

ZorinUser2974

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:30:04 pm

It would be better to add icons to the desktop like trash, computer...It will look less plain and more beautiful.

marytanasy

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:40:48 am

Re: Audio Intermittent Distortion

When booted up, sound works perfectly but after playing for awhile it gets intermittent sound distortion.
I tried switching to Asus internal speakers from HDMI and has identical distortions.
After another reboot it fixes problem but after listening to sound for awhile, it starts all over again.
Is it a Audio Driver issue???

Please let me know,

Thanks,
Mary Tanasy

Did CMOS Reflash, OS 12 works great as primary OS but minor glitches
Post by marytanasy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:24 pm

The product is beautifully designed. I installed directly on ASUS-G752VL Gaming Notebook with Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz × 8. Memory 11.7 GiB and loaded it on Sandisk Sata HD with the Zorin OS 12 Beta and worked perfectly after I Re-flash the CMOS and beats the tar out of Windows 10 that was originally installed in Notebook, Before CMOS update, would have to boot on USB3 as the main drive when had the older CMOS even with Windows Boot setting being disabled, i still would only boot to CMOS Setup screen. (Was Corrected with CMOS Re-flash and now Solid State Sandisk HD is installed directly in the Laptop.)

Only! after it being Re-flashed on CMOS that it would work perfectly.

The only minor problems is as follows:
1. Need to install Printer driver to Canon image CLASS MF216n which I downloaded. The printer setup in OS chooses a driver but that printer fails to respond and is only Idle.

2. Wi-Fi intermitent problem with disconnecting internet at times. Had to plug my Netgear dual speed Wi-Fi for direct Network only which works perfectly but would be nice to use Wi-fi normally again.

3. Touchpad buttons fail to work at all on ASUS-G752VL and would have to use mouse.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:33:26 am

marytanasy wrote:Re: Audio Intermittent Distortion

When booted up, sound works perfectly but after playing for awhile it gets intermittent sound distortion.
I tried switching to Asus internal speakers from HDMI and has identical distortions.
After another reboot it fixes problem but after listening to sound for awhile, it starts all over again.
Is it a Audio Driver issue???

Please let me know,

Thanks,
Mary Tanasy

Please see this topic and reply back please. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

mdiemer

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:50:48 am

An issue here with Zorin 12 beta to report. I have an external audio interface, a Steinberg UR-22. Zorin recognizes it, but I only get sound if I have it plugged in when I turn the computer on. (It plugs in via USB). Similarly, when I wake Zorin from suspend, I will again have no sound. This may have been a problem with Zorin 9 also; it's been awhile since I had that so I'm not sure.

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:08:16 am

ZorinUser2974 wrote:It would be better to add icons to the desktop like trash, computer...It will look less plain and more beautiful.

You can have 'Home' and 'Trash' you just need to make them show up - add Gnome Tweak Tool and you're good to go. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:18:52 am

OK, tried playing with 64-bit install and this time I tried to install from the first menu that appears rather than from Live desktop like i normally do - it glitched on Language selection - the mouse pointer disappeared and somehow got Esperanto selected and could not move on from there. Rebooted again, this time I pressed F6 and chose 'Free Software Only' - it then showed the wallpaper which did not happen first time round and the graphical installer window - after I had made all my manual choices again it crashed claiming unclean DVD Drive or faulty hardware - the same hardware the 32-bit had been installed to. The apport reporter reported 'Not a genuine Zorin application' with links to Ubiquity etc. so there appears to be some glitches on the 64-bit installer - the md5sum of the image matches the one on the download page and I did not burn the image any differently to the 32-bit one.

dougall1955

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:05:16 pm

Bug with Nautilus version: 1:3.18.5-0ubuntu1~xenial1 from LP-PPA-zorinos-stable

After recent core update to Zorin OS 12 64-bit, the Nautilus file program does not allow files to be copied to a USB, either newly formatted or brand new. Error message is: "The destination is read-only".

Drive is not write protected because using terminal:
df -Th to identify the USB stick
cp /path-to-files /media/path-to-usb will allow me copy the files.

or run Nautilus as superuser then copy and paste.

opticyclic

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:03:28 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:
ZorinUser2974 wrote:It would be better to add icons to the desktop like trash, computer...It will look less plain and more beautiful.

You can have 'Home' and 'Trash' you just need to make them show up - add Gnome Tweak Tool and you're good to go. ;) :D

I think the suggestion here is to make the out of the box experience as good as possible and not require extra tweaks afterwards.

star treker

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:30:32 am

I agree! Don't get me wrong, I love Zorin OS 9, but it requires you to have to do far too many console commands to get things done, that Windows otherwise does as part of the GUI. I'd really like it if Zorin OS 12 gets more things done via GUI interface, and as you said, would also be nice if many things were automated more so you don't even need to.

Basically, when I start a new OS system, all I like to do is do visual customizations. Set my login avatar, setup my wallpaper background, choose my curser type, and set my theme package for Windows 7 look. I don't want to have to configure the whole entire system to function as what it should automatically to make my life easier lol.

crazyporscheman

Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:47:50 pm

Hey Folks,

Small issue has just come up while running Zorin 12 Beta. First, my OS is completely up-to-date and is running and performing at a stellar level with one issue showing itself beginning 3-4 days ago.

Issue being web surfing using Chrome. While surfing the web I typically have 2-3 tabs open within Chrome. One with GMail, one with a forum or such and one that I use to navigate from one website to another. In the last couple days I have been experiencing lock-ups with Chrome and they seem to be happening when I'm on a site that has a fair amount of Flash or Videos. First Chrome becomes unresponsive then within a minute or so the entire DE is rendered unresponsive. This isn't the first time this has happened on this machine with a Linux Distro (I think the last time I had issues I was experimenting and fooling around with Fedora) and since the OS I was having issues with wasn't going to be a daily driver I dismissed the issue and moved on.

Not sure if this is an issue at the OS level, my machine or (my guess) something to do with Chrome. I have tried to see if the issue is replicated using Firefox with the same browsing habits and while some sites run at a snails pace I did not experience any crashes.

If there is any troubleshooting I can do to provide additional information I will be happy to do so.

Tim

mdiemer

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:28:39 am

Hi Tim, I have had similar issues in the past, with various distros, and disabling acceleration on the browser has solved it. I thought my problem related to my computer and its AMD chipset, or possibly my video card. Changing the drivers did not seem to make difference.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:47:30 pm

Just to add I have AMD Processor, NVidia Graphics and colour issues with Firefox - turning accelerators off made NO difference! I will always stick with the free driver - it suits me best for colour issues and the rest. ;) :D

crazyporscheman

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:55:28 pm

Shutting of the acceleration within Chrome seems to have solved the stalling issue with the browser.

As a side note regarding the issue, I used Firefox as my primary browser last night and had the same issue though not as frequent as with Chrome. Again, it seems to be happening on websites with an overabundance of video advertising, larger banner ads and/or heavy on video content.

Thanks Michael for the pointer!

Tim

mdiemer

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:41:52 pm

Yeah Tim, I recall that my problems also seemed to occur on the "flashier" sites, like the big news sites. I forget where I got that tip, but it sure has helped a lot.

dante64ster

Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:40:16 pm

Unfortunately I still can't install the 32 bit version. At the end of the installation it says that it has collapsed. Could anybody help me?

opticyclic

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:02:50 pm

The first impression is that it looks good.
However, after using it for a while there are some small rough edges.

Installer
While you are waiting to finish install there is an image saying how great all the new features are.
This image is too big and causes scroll bars to appear.
There is also only one image. It would be better to have multiple in a slide show so you had something to look at while you wait.
e.g. showcase some of these great features, put some tips on using the system there

Keyboard shortcuts
Zorin announced the switch of government PCs to Zorin so I was expecting Windows keyboard shortcuts to work.
  • Win/Super + E - Open File Manager
  • Win/Super + D - Minimise all and show Desktop
  • Win/Super + M - Minimise all and show Desktop (2 shortcuts for the same thing!)
  • Win/Super + R - Run dialog in Windows. Probably Universal Search in activities.
  • Win/Super + Tab - Switch applications/windows (works)
  • Win/Super + Tab - Lock computer (works)

Maybe some people don't like or want this though so I propose that there should be a small application that switches between Windows keyboard shortcuts and Default shortcuts at a click of a button.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7687
I'm not talking about the the normal shortcut editor but a wrapper around it with essentially just 2 buttons that switch between the shortcut groups.

Context Menus
There are some context/right-click menus that I would like to see too:
On the Task Bar
  • Task Manager
  • Show Desktop
  • Task bar properties

On the start icon

On the clock
  • Edit time

On the Desktop
  • Display properties (resolution etc)

On the start menu
  • Edit entry - e.g. I might want to add an extra command line switch

Browsers
The default browser is Chromium. However, it is very vanilla.
How about you package some addins with it?
Your choice of adblocker would be a good start.

The "Zorin Web Browser Manager" is a nice touch. However, it is a bit too spartan.
  • There is too much white space around the internal box
  • There is no information about what these browsers are - a tooltip or extra column with a description would be useful
  • What is 'Web"? The icon looks like Safari but I had to search to find out it is the new name for Epiphany. See point above
  • Include some more browsers such as Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, Konqueror
  • Include info about download size e.g. if you don't have KDE installed Konq will bring in a lot

Theme
The Grub screen could do with a bit more branding.
Right now it is OK but a little plain.
e.g. make it the same as the boot splash or log in wallpaper.

The high contrast black looks good on the start menu and small dialogs like the clock and Wifi/Volume popups.
However, there is inconsistency in the other applications.
The main theme appears to be white.
e.g.Files, Calculator, Archive Manager, Chromium, Libre Office, etc etc

but some other applications have the high contrast black theme the same as the start menu
e.g. Pitivi, Photos, Videos, Cheese etc

There should be a system wide theme and maybe the option to change the theme of individual applications if I want.

Applications
GIMP is not really a good choice for a distro like this. It is also set to floating window mode instead of single window.
Pinta would be a better choice as it is not as complicated as GIMP but at the same time is not too basic.

Gedit is pretty basic compared to Notepad++.
SciTE or JuffEd would be better choices.

Is Brasero needed? Is CD/DVD writing still popular?
Would an ISO to USB application be more worthwhile?

Wine is 1.6.2 but the latest stable version is 1.8.5.

On the start menu there are no tooltips to tell you what an application is.
Cheese is probably the best example of needing a tooltip!

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:37:53 pm

dante64ster wrote:Unfortunately I still can't install the 32 bit version. At the end of the installation it says that it has collapsed. Could anybody help me?

Hi, firstly the best thing is to do a manual install - is this going to be the only OS or dual-boot with Windows/other GNU/Linux? ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:48:23 pm

OK, I can't say too much at present but due to personal circumstances (not mine I point out!), the final release of Zorin 12 has had to be delayed - it was set for release this weekend ... but if things go to plan it should arrive some time next week - I can wait another two - better not to release an ubuntu 16.04 or follow Microslops bad example of releasing stuff of poor quality and people turn away. ;) :D

opticyclic

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:13:55 am

Are we going to to be able to upgrade from the beta to the release?
And are you going to have time to implement all my points before next week? ;)

opticyclic

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:23:06 am

As mentioned earlier, the first impression is good.
However, the more I use it, the more the minimal theme gets on my nerves.
Applications like Evince and Archive Manager don't look finished (even though I know they are explicitly designed to look like that).
There is no status bar, toolbar and there is no distinction between the menu and the main application area.
If I compare qpdfview to Evince it looks much more colourful and nicer to work with.
Is this just a theme or do I have to switch the applications to ones that don't look so basic?

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:24:38 pm

opticyclic wrote:Are we going to to be able to upgrade from the beta to the release?

I think I have explained before I am a volunteer moderator ... I have no involvement whatsoever in the development of Zorin; a seasoned desktop user with 14 years of GNU/Linux tinkering.

Zorin is not a roll-up distribution ~ you need to follow Wolfman's post-installation guide and in particular the section on upgrading. If a roll-up distribution is critical for you I would advise you to take a look at SolydXK or Deepin. ;) :D

dante64ster

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:33:25 pm

Hi, firstly the best thing is to do a manual install - is this going to be the only OS or dual-boot with Windows/other GNU/Linux? ;) :D

Hi, it is going to be only OS. I used, Zorin os 9, now i wanted to install this version, but the installer has collapsed all the time. :( I always have tried from pendrive so far.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:51:38 pm

OK, does your processor support PAE? If it doesn't that could be the issue - try creating a USB with Rufus:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:57:39 pm

opticyclic wrote:As mentioned earlier, the first impression is good.
However, the more I use it, the more the minimal theme gets on my nerves.
Applications like Evince and Archive Manager don't look finished (even though I know they are explicitly designed to look like that).
There is no status bar, toolbar and there is no distinction between the menu and the main application area.
If I compare qpdfview to Evince it looks much more colourful and nicer to work with.
Is this just a theme or do I have to switch the applications to ones that don't look so basic?

Interesting thread about Evince et al pdf viewers here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1267021

I seem to remember you mentioned 'peazip' in another thread - you could always install it yourself - it is supposed to be in the repositories:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=854198&page=2

What you have to remember is that you get to choose the apps you want to use at no cost most of the time. ;) :D

zoringroup21

Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:03:34 pm

Folks, Please bring back GNOME 2.

New desktop is a nice entertainment for kids - WE RESPECT IT.

We use Zorin in the production of the newspaper - the entire team.

We need to pin to the task bar hourly used programs, not to click 10 times to scroll and find it in the new menu. I know, there is an option of Windows look - we have no desire of going back in time.

Kindly consider adding back a "professional" look to Zorin 12.

Your dedicated advocate and promoter since 2009.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:58:27 pm

Hi, Zorin can't sadly bring back Gnome 2 - you need to lobby the Gnome Project on that one! ;) :D

But I know where you are coming from. If 12 does not do it for you remember you could always add Cinnamon DE. ;) :D

crazyporscheman

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:07:02 pm

Just catching up on the Zorin 12 Beta Feedback here...

One on the fairly current posts regarding rolling distros stated:

Zorin is not a roll-up distribution ~ you need to follow Wolfman's post-installation guide and in particular the section on upgrading. If a roll-up distribution is critical for you I would advise you to take a look at SolydXK or Deepin.

First, this is not blasting the comment nor who wrote it. (I respect and value everything that Swarf adds to this forum!) Second, my comment is based purely on my own experience and DOES NOT reflect other users outcome of a specific distro. Third, and most importantly, I do not want to morph this thread into anything other than the indented subject or take away from any user or distro.

My comment:

While deepin has been a very intriguing distro to follow and has a neat concept in the desktop environment arena it has been shown to be a disaster in the areas of adding additional software (packages) and a viable update mechanism. Again, this is nothing more than my personal observations and seems to be quatified by a number of other perspective users of the distro in North America. I installed and ran deepin on multiple machines with the same outcome up to version 15.1 which turned me away. Now, before it's pointed out, version 15.3 is out and I have not tested it.....that means my concerns may have been fully addressed.

SolydXK, on the other hand, has been fun to test drive, seems solid enough and, for the most part, delivered as stated and expected.

Looking forward to the final Zorin 12 release and am glad it has been delayed. I would rather wait for a polished product rather than another fish in the pond of hurried, unimpressive, non-working, less-than-stable, unfinished releases.

Hope this message finds you all well!!!!
Tim

SleepyD

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:55:04 am

Hi. I've posted previously about an issue I've had with my Gnome Shell extensions not holding when I switch between layouts in Zorin Appearance. I've noticed something else recently. I am having a problem with two extensions holding in between boots. I had trouble getting the Open Weather extension configured for my area. I finally was able to configure it the last time I was in Zorin. I booted up tonight and Open Weather is disabled. The Zorin Menu extension is not staying enabled between boots as well. I hope you can fix these issues. I am really liking Zorin OS 12. Keep up the great work.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:39:38 pm

SleepyD wrote:Hi. I've posted previously about an issue I've had with my Gnome Shell extensions not holding when I switch between layouts in Zorin Appearance. I've noticed something else recently. I am having a problem with two extensions holding in between boots. I had trouble getting the Open Weather extension configured for my area. I finally was able to configure it the last time I was in Zorin. I booted up tonight and Open Weather is disabled. The Zorin Menu extension is not staying enabled between boots as well. I hope you can fix these issues. I am really liking Zorin OS 12. Keep up the great work.

Hi, the Open Weather app was never going to be fully functional in the Beta! See here:

http://zoringroup.com/blog/2016/09/19/t ... rin-os-12/ - at bottom of page.

"Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that this pre-release is not recommended for installation on production machines due to some potentially unstable software included.

Please leave us some feedback and report bugs along the way when testing this Beta. This will allow us to improve Zorin OS 12 even further for the full stable release in the coming weeks."

What is telling though is that the blog originally pointed out that the Weather app was not a working app but work-in-progress and that it was not a 'functioning' application until final release but I suspect that is because of the imminent release of Zorin 12 Final.

The main bug I have had is not being able to move the panel back to the bottom of the desktop after moving it to the top. ;) :D

star treker

Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:55:13 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, I can't say too much at present but due to personal circumstances (not mine I point out!), the final release of Zorin 12 has had to be delayed - it was set for release this weekend ... but if things go to plan it should arrive some time next week - I can wait another two - better not to release an ubuntu 16.04 or follow Microslops bad example of releasing stuff of poor quality and people turn away. ;) :D

Aww, poor me :( Its ok though, if I could wait a month for Zorin, I can wait another week for Zorin. I rather it be complete without bugs and ready for my operating pleasure. :D The first installation of Zorin OS 12 will be used to save my bricked computer and bring it from stone age to awesome age hehe. And then the second installation of the OS will be used to upgrade an old file server from snail and slug on a sidewalk to, rev that lambergini pedal to the metal. :lol:

star treker

Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:59:15 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
opticyclic wrote:Are we going to to be able to upgrade from the beta to the release?

I think I have explained before I am a volunteer moderator ... I have no involvement whatsoever in the development of Zorin; a seasoned desktop user with 14 years of GNU/Linux tinkering.

Zorin is not a roll-up distribution ~ you need to follow Wolfman's post-installation guide and in particular the section on upgrading. If a roll-up distribution is critical for you I would advise you to take a look at SolydXK or Deepin. ;) :D

Your seasoned? Thats good, I could learn a lot from your expert spice, I am such a novice when it comes to Linux its painful lol :D

crazyporscheman

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:16:40 pm

I am such a novice when it comes to Linux its painful lol :D

We all started there at one point, Star Treker and with the evolution of the Linux world as a whole we will need to continue to learn.

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:00:00 pm

Hi there,

On the dutch community forum do we have a lot of members who can not install the Zorin OS 12 Beta (inlcuding myself) when we choose for Dutch install.
The install will break at the end.
Instead we have to install Zorin OS 12 beta in the Englisch version and then set the language in Dutch.

instrurocker

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08:06 pm

a
chamen wrote:
4) I really liked the design of panel in previous versions. It had a unique and nice looking design. This one looks like a copy of the windows 10 one. i much prefer the look of windows 7 over windows 10.

- Maybe the Zorin team could provide options for users to switch to previous UIs but I personally LOVE the new Zorin look, it is intentional to look similar to Windows 10 yet looks better which is pretty unique, minimalist, practical and awesome!

- The small dot underneath the apps that are opened is pretty clear and easy to notice. Maybe your display resolution is causing problems.

opticyclic

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:13:53 am

I'm getting a lot of freezes with the beta and Gnome Shell
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12395

So much so that I have had to switch to Cinnamon to make it usable.

There is no Zorin 12 theme yet so I settled on
Windows 10 Lite theme (icons and wallpaper from their github version)
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/514

with Configurable Menu
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/171

I kept "Paper" for Window borders and controls though.

Its not quite as nice as the Zorin theme but its not bad.

SoftHeart

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:15:26 am

you can change the size, shape, placement, of all versions of ZorinOS " APP Launcher (start bar,eh) in the settings, by right clicking and selecting the GEAR shaped Icon, follow the "Change Appearance" settings, or quite a few other ways of getting there. Take a few days to brows around the settings to get used to them, or even download "Cairo" launcher to replace it. It's your choice, and very easy to do.

nascar64

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:36:10 am

well got Zorin 12 Beta 64x installed ,all went well .no problem that all,but wish it was like zorin 9 ultimate then will really buy it and support it too ,but what i did i installed cinnamon but now i got a look like LInux mint ,so why would i get Zorin then really,i got linux mint LMDE and mint 18 already so was looking for zorin os just like zorin 9 ultimate that i got to love ,can i make Zorin 12 look like zorin 9 ultimate in some way please>

asrock Z77Extreme4 -I7-2600 at 3400
128 gig ssdrive-2 terabyte -1-500gig

Thank you very much Swarfendor437 ,try Cairo Dock close but not enouf ,just love the Zorin 9 panel ,will wait till the realase maybe they will have it in the final Zorin 12 will wait and maybe i can make a zorin 9 Ultimate that look like close enouf and stay with Zorin 9 till the end will see>Ray
forgot to said no compiz too,will miss that too

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:03:04 pm

The nearest you'll get is Cairo Dock DE. ;) :D

zoringroup21

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:24:01 pm

Folks, one of the Windows features seriously missing in Zorin is Mass Rename of Files.

For us, who do lot's of photography , it was critical to rename daily some 500 - 1000 images from IMG.*** to 2016-11-25 Thanksgiving Dinners ***.

Here is the solution, I think, many ex-Windows users will appreciate.

http://gprename.sourceforge.net/

Or use it as the idea to make it better, windows alike.

Have blessed holidays!

zoringroup21

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:00:05 pm

Folks, Please bring back GNOME 2.

We need to pin to the task bar hourly used programs, not to click 10 times :o :oops: to scroll and find it in the new menu. I know, there is an option of Windows look - we have no desire of going back in time.

Kindly consider adding back a "professional" look to Zorin 12 ;)

MBMz10

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:31:30 am

Core and Ultimate versions are out.

http://zorinos.com/

I normally get the Ultimate Version but not sure yet so would love to hear what anyone else thinks and what the differences are, especially desktop UI.
Off to play with the core edition for a few days I go.

I followed the file hash guide on the download site, I did get correct hash value but noticed the 'app' returns upper case and the zorin list table is in lower case!

AZorin

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:13:21 am

zoringroup21 wrote:Folks, Please bring back GNOME 2.

We need to pin to the task bar hourly used programs, not to click 10 times :o :oops: to scroll and find it in the new menu. I know, there is an option of Windows look - we have no desire of going back in time.

Kindly consider adding back a "professional" look to Zorin 12 ;)

Hello,
You can pin an app to the taskbar in Zorin OS 12 by opening the app, right-clicking on its taskbar icon and selecting "Add to Favorites".

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10:19 pm

zoringroup21 wrote:Folks, one of the Windows features seriously missing in Zorin is Mass Rename of Files.

For us, who do lot's of photography , it was critical to rename daily some 500 - 1000 images from IMG.*** to 2016-11-25 Thanksgiving Dinners ***.

Here is the solution, I think, many ex-Windows users will appreciate.

http://gprename.sourceforge.net/

Or use it as the idea to make it better, windows alike.

Have blessed holidays!

Sorry this is late - a solution to bulk renaming of files is to install Thunar which comes with a bulk renaming tool. ;) :D