Zorin OS 12 Beta Feedback

Re: Zorin OS 12 Beta Feedback

Postby Swarfendor437 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi, Zorin can't sadly bring back Gnome 2 - you need to lobby the Gnome Project on that one! ;) :D

But I know where you are coming from. If 12 does not do it for you remember you could always add Cinnamon DE. ;) :D
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby crazyporscheman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:07 pm

Just catching up on the Zorin 12 Beta Feedback here...

One on the fairly current posts regarding rolling distros stated:

Zorin is not a roll-up distribution ~ you need to follow Wolfman's post-installation guide and in particular the section on upgrading. If a roll-up distribution is critical for you I would advise you to take a look at SolydXK or Deepin.

First, this is not blasting the comment nor who wrote it. (I respect and value everything that Swarf adds to this forum!) Second, my comment is based purely on my own experience and DOES NOT reflect other users outcome of a specific distro. Third, and most importantly, I do not want to morph this thread into anything other than the indented subject or take away from any user or distro.

My comment:

While deepin has been a very intriguing distro to follow and has a neat concept in the desktop environment arena it has been shown to be a disaster in the areas of adding additional software (packages) and a viable update mechanism. Again, this is nothing more than my personal observations and seems to be quatified by a number of other perspective users of the distro in North America. I installed and ran deepin on multiple machines with the same outcome up to version 15.1 which turned me away. Now, before it's pointed out, version 15.3 is out and I have not tested it.....that means my concerns may have been fully addressed.

SolydXK, on the other hand, has been fun to test drive, seems solid enough and, for the most part, delivered as stated and expected.

Looking forward to the final Zorin 12 release and am glad it has been delayed. I would rather wait for a polished product rather than another fish in the pond of hurried, unimpressive, non-working, less-than-stable, unfinished releases.

Hope this message finds you all well!!!!
Tim
HP Pavilion i5-8250 CPU 8GB RAM 256GB SSD with Zorin 15
crazyporscheman

Settings not holding in Gnome Shell

Postby SleepyD » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:55 am

Hi. I've posted previously about an issue I've had with my Gnome Shell extensions not holding when I switch between layouts in Zorin Appearance. I've noticed something else recently. I am having a problem with two extensions holding in between boots. I had trouble getting the Open Weather extension configured for my area. I finally was able to configure it the last time I was in Zorin. I booted up tonight and Open Weather is disabled. The Zorin Menu extension is not staying enabled between boots as well. I hope you can fix these issues. I am really liking Zorin OS 12. Keep up the great work.
SleepyD

Re: Settings not holding in Gnome Shell

Postby Swarfendor437 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:39 pm

SleepyD wrote:Hi. I've posted previously about an issue I've had with my Gnome Shell extensions not holding when I switch between layouts in Zorin Appearance. I've noticed something else recently. I am having a problem with two extensions holding in between boots. I had trouble getting the Open Weather extension configured for my area. I finally was able to configure it the last time I was in Zorin. I booted up tonight and Open Weather is disabled. The Zorin Menu extension is not staying enabled between boots as well. I hope you can fix these issues. I am really liking Zorin OS 12. Keep up the great work.

Hi, the Open Weather app was never going to be fully functional in the Beta! See here:

http://zoringroup.com/blog/2016/09/19/t ... rin-os-12/ - at bottom of page.

"Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that this pre-release is not recommended for installation on production machines due to some potentially unstable software included.

Please leave us some feedback and report bugs along the way when testing this Beta. This will allow us to improve Zorin OS 12 even further for the full stable release in the coming weeks."

What is telling though is that the blog originally pointed out that the Weather app was not a working app but work-in-progress and that it was not a 'functioning' application until final release but I suspect that is because of the imminent release of Zorin 12 Final.

The main bug I have had is not being able to move the panel back to the bottom of the desktop after moving it to the top. ;) :D
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby star treker » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, I can't say too much at present but due to personal circumstances (not mine I point out!), the final release of Zorin 12 has had to be delayed - it was set for release this weekend ... but if things go to plan it should arrive some time next week - I can wait another two - better not to release an ubuntu 16.04 or follow Microslops bad example of releasing stuff of poor quality and people turn away. ;) :D

Aww, poor me :( Its ok though, if I could wait a month for Zorin, I can wait another week for Zorin. I rather it be complete without bugs and ready for my operating pleasure. :D The first installation of Zorin OS 12 will be used to save my bricked computer and bring it from stone age to awesome age hehe. And then the second installation of the OS will be used to upgrade an old file server from snail and slug on a sidewalk to, rev that lambergini pedal to the metal. :lol:
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
star treker

Postby star treker » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:59 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
opticyclic wrote:Are we going to to be able to upgrade from the beta to the release?
And are you going to have time to implement all my points before next week? ;)

I think I have explained before I am a volunteer moderator ... I have no involvement whatsoever in the development of Zorin; a seasoned desktop user with 14 years of GNU/Linux tinkering.

Zorin is not a roll-up distribution ~ you need to follow Wolfman's post-installation guide and in particular the section on upgrading. If a roll-up distribution is critical for you I would advise you to take a look at SolydXK or Deepin. ;) :D

Your seasoned? Thats good, I could learn a lot from your expert spice, I am such a novice when it comes to Linux its painful lol :D
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
star treker

Postby crazyporscheman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:16 pm

I am such a novice when it comes to Linux its painful lol :D

We all started there at one point, Star Treker and with the evolution of the Linux world as a whole we will need to continue to learn.
HP Pavilion i5-8250 CPU 8GB RAM 256GB SSD with Zorin 15
crazyporscheman

Postby Hensyr Wolf » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi there,

On the dutch community forum do we have a lot of members who can not install the Zorin OS 12 Beta (inlcuding myself) when we choose for Dutch install.
The install will break at the end.
Instead we have to install Zorin OS 12 beta in the Englisch version and then set the language in Dutch.
Want to know more about Zorin OS in Dutch please click this link: Dutch Zorin OS
Hensyr Wolf

Postby instrurocker » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:08 pm

a
chamen wrote:
4) I really liked the design of panel in previous versions. It had a unique and nice looking design. This one looks like a copy of the windows 10 one. i much prefer the look of windows 7 over windows 10.

6) It is not that easy to notice if a program is opened or not. There is just a really small dot underneath the ones that are opened.

- Maybe the Zorin team could provide options for users to switch to previous UIs but I personally LOVE the new Zorin look, it is intentional to look similar to Windows 10 yet looks better which is pretty unique, minimalist, practical and awesome!

- The small dot underneath the apps that are opened is pretty clear and easy to notice. Maybe your display resolution is causing problems.
instrurocker

Postby opticyclic » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:13 am

I'm getting a lot of freezes with the beta and Gnome Shell
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12395

So much so that I have had to switch to Cinnamon to make it usable.

There is no Zorin 12 theme yet so I settled on
Windows 10 Lite theme (icons and wallpaper from their github version)
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/514

with Configurable Menu
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/171

I kept "Paper" for Window borders and controls though.

Its not quite as nice as the Zorin theme but its not bad.
opticyclic

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback